Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I answered a ping tonight, and arrived in less than one minute. I pulled up right in front of the location. After waiting about 3 minutes, 4 girls exited the house, and sauntered into my car for the 2 mile ride to the bar.

Apparently these girls are all waitresses, and work at the same bar/restaurant. One girl proceeds to detail how much money she made in tips today, including a $100 tip from a group of 20 people, for a grand total of $146 plus her hourly wage.

Now, these 4 girls could have easily tipped me a dollar each, for their safe ride to the bar, in my late model car, with new tires, that I only have serviced at the dealer. But they did not give me anything. However, the will give the dip-shit bartender a dollar for removing the bottle top off their beer.

So, I have some policy changes:

You will be 1 starred on all non-tipped rides under $10.

Next time I eat out, and the bill comes, just write in for gratuity, "Uber Driver, no tip required"

Feel free to give them 1-5 stars depending on how good the service was.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that 90% of PAX think tip is included. You pay via your smart phone and the assume everything is calculated. I have a 4.93 rating, 250 trips and I have been tipped 3 times. I gave up on getting tips about 2 months ago.... until uber adds a tip function it is not the pax fault.

Now when you expect me to load your luggage. I give them the tip speech until they arrive at the airport. If you still don't tip have fun unloading 200 lbs of luggage by yourself...

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
So I answered a ping tonight, and arrived in less than one minute. I pulled up right in front of the location. After waiting about 3 minutes, 4 girls exited the house, and sauntered into my car for the 2 mile ride to the bar.

Apparently these girls are all waitresses, and work at the same bar/restaurant. One girl proceeds to detail how much money she made in tips today, including a $100 tip from a group of 20 people, for a grand total of $146 plus her hourly wage.

Now, these 4 girls could have easily tipped me a dollar each, for their safe ride to the bar, in my late model car, with new tires, that I only have serviced at the dealer. But they did not give me anything. However, the will give the dip-shit bartender a dollar for removing the bottle top off their beer.

So, I have a few new rules:

Next time I eat out, and the bill comes, just write in for gratuity, "Uber Driver, no tip required"

Uberite, your own company told its clients not to tip. It's baked into the cake.

Why on earth would a bunch of girls TIP you because you have a newer car? Why would they care where you get it serviced at? Are they going to measure your tread depth?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Traditionally, if there is a single group of people who would tip, it would be those in the food service industry. They typically have a healthy respect for the concept of tipping and reciprocate when due. To see a group of waitresses not even consider tipping in a rideshare trip is a sad sign of where the culture of tipping is headed.

There are those who think tipping is nonsense but tipping truly does foster an environment where people try harder to give better service. In turn, this creates better profits for the server AND the venue. Customers are more likely to return to the venue more often, purchase more per trip from the venue, and tip better all around.

Wait. Why am I here and how did I get on top of this soap box?

·
Premium Member
62,808 Posts

So, I have a few new rules:

I have never had that problem.

·
25,701 Posts
If it is a waiter or bartender that knows that you drive Uber, when the credit card receipt comes back, draw five stars on the tip line.

until uber adds a tip function it is not the pax fault.
I will bet on Nationals' moving back to Montreal before I bet on that one.

Uberite, your own company told its clients not to tip. It's baked into the cake.
This.

To see a group of waitresses not even consider tipping in a rideshare trip is a sad sign of where the culture of tipping is headed.

There are those who think tipping is nonsense but tipping truly does foster an environment where people try harder to give better service.
I once had a Lyft(!) user try to lecture me on how you can not create a "culture of tipping" on a new type of service. He said several other things during the trip about how he usually used Lyft Line or U-Pool but had stopped because he was getting too many trips where he had to share the car. this was a regular Lyft trip. He planned to try it again, later, and if he got too many matched rides, he would go back to UberX or regular Lyft.

Bottom line, the guy was cheap. I did not tell him that, as you do not say things like that to a customer, but, of course he got one star from me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Why on earth would a bunch of girls TIP you because you have a newer car? Why would they care where you get it serviced at? Are they going to measure your tread depth?
Maybe so they won't get killed on the way to their destination because a driver could not afford new tires, brakes, etc. Why would you tip some jack-off for removing the cap off your beer?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Do you think they would eve notice the condition of your tires ?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Maybe so they won't get killed on the way to their destination because a driver could not afford new tires, brakes, etc. Why would you tip some jack-off for removing the cap off your beer?
Tipping is the original rating system. If your "jack-off" is doing a poor job in his hospitality role , you could always give him 0 "stars".

Lol.

You deserve ever bit of this , Uberite .

·
Registered
72 Posts
I literally just dropped off a bartender and gave her 3 stars for not tipping.

Passengers take advantage of the rating system but drivers do not understand how it can be used to their benefit. Drivers need to adhere to the following rules in order to increase tips:

1. Refuse to pick up passengers that have a 4.5 star rating or below.

2. ONLY give 5 stars to passengers who tip (NO EXCEPTIONS). Give 4 stars if the passenger doesn't tip but apologises for not having cash on hand to tip. Give 3 stars to all passengers who do not tip, and didn't apologize for not having cash on hand (such cheapskates should stick to riding in cabs or the city bus).

3. Promote these rules to every Uber driver you know. You provide excellent service far above a mere taxi cab, and you deserve to be tipped, no ecceptions.

Rate accurately and refuse to pick up low rated passengers. NO EXCEPTIONS!

An 8 - 12 hour shift should provide the driver $40 - $60 in tips ($200 - $300 extra a week for 40 - 70 hours, $800 - $1200 extra a month). Only chumps do not rate accurately; only chumps pick up passengers with low ratings!

Uber has a rating system, use it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
(such cheapskates should stick to riding in cabs or the city bus) You provide excellent service far above a mere taxi cab, and you deserve to be tipped.
Two things.....................#1 your own "Technology Company" tells passengers they don't have to tip............#2 you may think you are better than a taxi but you ARE a taxi............

You are just NOT getting a tip......hilarious

·
Registered
8,587 Posts

Service industry people know better.
There is no excuse and you know it slug!

Two things.....................#1 your own "Technology Company" tells passengers they don't have to tip/QUOTE]
They also tell riders thethe are certainly allowed to. Service people who don't tip... come on in don't think even cab drivers find this behavior acceptable. I can understand a cab driver not having sympathy, but I can't see a cab driver find it acceptable.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
The thing that pisses me off about Uber and tipping is how blatantly deceitful and arrogant they are about the whole thing.

First they outright lied, saying the tip is included. Then 100 some odd millions in settlement and legal fees they say tipping is not included or expected!

In the help section, the basically tell riders to rate drivers low if they hint at a tip or have a sign.

Font Screenshot Number Document Paper

Also, now when a rider downloads the rider app, even in markets without Uber taxi, before they even get set up, they are asked to specify a percentage for tips.

I know it's for Uber taxi only, you know it's for Uber taxi only, but the 58 year old woman that I have a ride to the other day didn't... there is no way in hell anyone can convince me that Uber did not intentionally set it up this way to deceive the new rider. Pure effing arrogance!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I picked up a bartender at the end of her shift one night. I asked if she liked all those college students returning. She said no I hate those non tipping bastards. She then tells me to go to the atm and wait. I do so then take her to her house. I got no tip for a non surge low fare. I feel like going to that bar and ordering like 5 beers and just draw a line straight through the tip slot. Then write in cheers from uber.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I picked a male server who worked at burgers Dave by a big 10 campus. It was welcome week and he told me of how he had finished making $200 in tips for the day. I dropped him off non surge ride with zero tip. My plan is to go to burgers Dave with a couple of friends have him serve me and 5 star his ass

1 - 20 of 50 Posts