Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New driving to uber and learning that it's illegal to drive in certain areas. Besides EWR and hoboken what are the other cities where cops ticket? Your answers are very appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
971 Posts
New driving to uber and learning that it's illegal to drive in certain areas. Besides EWR and hoboken what are the other cities where cops ticket? Your answers are very appreciated. Thank you!
In northern NJ that is just about it. In very rare cases drivers got pulled over at some crossing into NYC. It happened to me once at HT but I was pulled over for my plate number and the cop ask who is the person in the back. I told him that is my rider from Uber. I just got the timer for my issue with the plate number. So just EWR and Hoboken are really the places you have to be careful. The rest is no problem. I never drive at the shore and I heard that are a few town/locations with problems but I don t think you want to drive stupid drunk people at the shore in your nice car. Avoid fri-sat nights if you don t like to deal with idiots. Is good money but is not worth it from my perspective.

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
It is illegal to drive in all of NJ unless you have OL plates, Commercial Insurance, and Chauffers license. Most drivers choose to ignore the law and some towns are more aggressive in enforcing the laws.

·
Registered
971 Posts
There are many things illegal that people ignore. We just have to live with it. And by the way Uber have a very good insurance. I know that are people that lose money because of TNC but this is life.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I understand that but if I need to do something illegal is not what I taught me children to do.
You do very well but sometimes in life we need to do what we NEED to do. I don t understand how the Uber x app is operating if is illegal. Taxi drivers are very illegal when they negotiate rates, destinations, take 3 riders and charge them each full price, etc. and nobody did never nothing about it. It was the time that somebody came in and change the game. TNC is the future. Dirty cab drivers who rip off people are the past

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hate to be the one to tell you this. Uber is illegal in the entire state of NJ at present.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Uber is not illegal, being a uber driver without the proper licence is illegal. It's your choice how you want to do it. Some drives have never gotten a ticket and some get them every day ...I'm starting to think it's not the cops but the drivers. Pick your spots and find your niche and you'll be fine . It's either going to work for you or not . But you be the judge , don't let anyone else dictate how you make your money.

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
Uber is not illegal, being a uber driver without the proper licence is illegal. It's your choice how you want to do it. Some drives have never gotten a ticket and some get them every day ...I'm starting to think it's not the cops but the drivers. Pick your spots and find your niche and you'll be fine . It's either going to work for you or not . But you be the judge , don't let anyone else dictate how you make your money.
You are correct and yes some drivers have not received tickets but then not all drug dealers get arrested so that make it OK?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Can we move on? This topic has been beaten to death! where’s the horse? LOL

seriously attehop don’t even drive for Uber. turbovibrator quit. Why are you guys still trolling? seriously

There’s a search option. The answer will be found.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Uber is not illegal. it's unregulated. That's the difference. There is no law, there's a grey area about the law, and so cops are ticketing via the interpretation of the law.

The problem is, Uber (and NJ) is dragging their feet about getting us 100% legal.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hate to be the one to tell you this. Uber is illegal in the entire state of NJ at present.
Exactly like hiring undocumented people, but every restaurant owner STILL DOSE IT, is very illegal and the state officials know about it. Is just an example. NJ have issues way more important than chasing TNC all over. We are not gipsy drives. We work with a huge company and we have insurance. Good driving record and clean criminal record

·
Registered
602 Posts
Exactly like hiring undocumented people, but every restaurant owner STILL DOSE IT, is very illegal and the state officials know about it. Is just an example. NJ have issues way more important than chasing TNC all over. We are not gipsy drives. We work with a huge company and we have insurance. Good driving record and clean criminal record
I don't drive for Uber. I did for six days, did they Uber math, discovered that I was working for close to minimum wage when you get to the bottom line ( including vehicle expenses , not just gross pay - Uber's commission - gas) and decided that with the risks it wasn't worth it. It is illegal in NJ! You can call it unregulated, not unforced or whatever you want . You will get away with it until your involved in an accident with an Uber passenger in your car, get caught in a high enforcement area like Newark Airport
Hoboken or NJ shore towns, where they can and will load you with four tickets for a total around $250. and if they really want to get the point across they can impound your car and have it towed. Do it long enough and your going to get nailed sooner or later. I
have been on this site long enough to know that people in here are looking for validation to what they are doing and if you don't tell them what they want to hear your a negative person. If it's worth it to you to try to skirt a grey area legal issue or a serious insurance situation if you have an accident for a close to minimum wage job. UBER ON!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I don't drive for Uber. I did for six days, did they Uber math, discovered that I was working for close to minimum wage when you get to the bottom line ( including vehicle expenses , not just gross pay - Uber's commission - gas) and decided that with the risks it wasn't worth it. It is illegal in NJ! You can call it unregulated, not unforced or whatever you want . You will get away with it until your involved in an accident with an Uber passenger in your car, get caught in a high enforcement area like Newark Airport
Hoboken or NJ shore towns, where they can and will load you with four tickets for a total around $250. and if they really want to get the point across they can impound your car and have it towed. Do it long enough and your going to get nailed sooner or later. I
have been on this site long enough to know that people in here are looking for validation to what they are doing and if you don't tell them what they want to hear your a negative person. If it's worth it to you to try to skirt a grey area legal issue or a serious insurance situation if you have an accident for a close to minimum wage job. UBER ON!
Turbovibrator are you cutting and pasting this? You write this all the time. word for word.

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. Time to move on!! and time to move on from the forum!

Happy trails with your Chevey Volt. hahaha omg I'm still laughing about that one.

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
Uber is not illegal. it's unregulated. That's the difference. There is no law, there's a grey area about the law, and so cops are ticketing via the interpretation of the law.

The problem is, Uber (and NJ) is dragging their feet about getting us 100% legal.

Yes there is a law, read this: http://law.onecle.com/new-jersey/39-motor-vehicles-and-traffic-regulation/3-19.1.html

·
Registered
602 Posts

Okay

Oly, what is the proper lisense to drive for Uber, how do go about getting it and which license do you have?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yup, there it is in black and white. Good post! Unfortunetly your NOT telling them what they want to hear and thier looking for validation for what they are doing. Forget the legal issues. If you do the Uber math your working for close to minimum wage and destroying your car in the meantime. Anyone who has taken the time or has the ability to do the Uber math won't be doing it reguardless if they THINK its legal.
UBER on foolish ones!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Okay

Oly, what is the proper lisense to drive for Uber, how do go about getting it and which license do you have?
From what I have read , you need to obtain a tlc from the state and also get commercial insurance which can be up to $500 per month. ..I choose to do neither not worth it cuz I only drive partime ...I have not gotten a ticket yet or even have gotten pulled over ...I will keep doing what I do until then

·
Registered
602 Posts
From what I have read , you need to obtain a tlc from the state and also get commercial insurance which can be up to $500 per month. ..I choose to do neither not worth it cuz I only drive partime ...I have not gotten a ticket yet or even have gotten pulled over ...I will keep doing what I do until then
Therefore you are an illegal driver and will pay for it dearly WHEN you do. Then why are you on here stating Uber is not illegal? Go to the person who started this thread and read the law link she posted. Your risking your car and every thing you own if you ever get in a serious accident with an Uber passenger in the car, for minimum wage. I will bet my car your never sat down and figured out the BOTTOM line of the Uber math. Oh well it's your funeral.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts