Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I pick up this guy And I confirm the address with him by also mentioning that they were a four-story apartment complex. I tell him the route that I'm going to take making it very clear I knew exactly where we were going. He then gives me turn by turn directions like I'm an idiot lmao.
Happens to me often. Always by men (99% Indian men), never once by a women. Guess they can't handle not telling a female what to do. I just giggle.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I pick up this guy And I confirm the address with him by also mentioning that they were a four-story apartment complex. I tell him the route that I'm going to take making it very clear I knew exactly where we were going. He then gives me turn by turn directions like I'm an idiot lmao.
Back seat drivers, front seat drivers yes they are annoying as hell its like I have to point at the navigation to them and let them know hey I have the directions here and then sometimes they shut up...I don't let it get to me no more I just play along until they get out of my car..

·
Registered
588 Posts
Back seat drivers, front seat drivers yes they are annoying as hell its like I have to point at the navigation to them and let them know hey I have the directions here and then sometimes they shut up...I don't let it get to me no more I just play along until they get out of my car..
Haha idiots. Had someone do this. And tell me to turn as I am already turning ...

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I had a guy tell me to go to the end of the street, and stop, then turn right. I ask, " You mean stop at the STOP sign, then turn right on the ONE WAY TO THE RIGHT?"
"Yes Yes, do that ," he says. Yes he was Indian.
Happened to me today so I said I know how to get to the airport and that I have been driving for 8 years! Passenger said oh other drivers don't know and I said yeah, those are the rookies...hahaha

Felt like really saying, "shut up and please stop bothering me for no reason."

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Make note of his name, and then repeat it as in "TomTom". "Man, who needs TomTom GPS when I have BrianBrian? Hey BrianBrian, is there any traffic on our route? Accidents? BrianBrian, how about road construction? Do you have real-time traffic data?"

·
Registered
474 Posts
I usually don't mind back seat drivers, I usually just appease them by saying "alright" (as usually the GPS tells me to do so anyway)

What I can't stand are the backseat drivers that tell you to do something illegal or don't notice their surroundings

Trip A
Me: *stops at stop sign* (no turn signal)
Pax: "Oh, just keep going straight"
Me: "I know, I just stopped because of the stop sign"
Pax: "Oh"
(No joke, they were expecting me to blow the stop sign)

Trip B
(At a one way right turn only, gps already tells me to go straight and take 3 lefts)
Pax: "Take a left at this intersection"
Me: "I can't, it's a one way, no left turns"
Pax: "It's okay, the destinations not too far, a left here shouldn't hurt"
Me: "Again, it's a one way, a left turn here is illegal and dangerous"
Pax: "Nothing will happen, just do it"
Me: "Not happening"
Pax: "Fine then, just drop me/us off at this corner"
Me: "Ok"
(Like it will take that much more time and add that much to the cost to just go straight and take the 3 lefts)

Trip C
(When a left turn is blocked by a median or I miss a turn, next intersection is marked no U-Turns)
Pax: "Just make a U'ey"
Me: "It's posted no U-Turns"
Pax: "Eh, It'll be fine, nobody's around"
Me: *takes a left and finds a safe place to turn around*

What's scary is many of these pax are sober and have a valid driver's license and vehicle, they just take Uber as a matter of convenience. Had they driven, they would have blown that stop sign, made that left into oncoming traffic, or made that possibly dangerous U-Turn

·
Registered
408 Posts
I say "you want to drive too" , I hate that shite.......

Reactions: BoboBig

·
Registered
325 Posts
The only time I snap is if I hear audio from a gps in the backseat.

Otherwise this is usually how it goes:
Pax: If it's alright with you I'll tell you which way to go
Me: If it's alright with you I'll just follow the gps

Usually pretty silent after that

·
Rebel Honey Badger
18,615 Posts
I usually don't mind back seat drivers, I usually just appease them by saying "alright" (as usually the GPS tells me to do so anyway)

What I can't stand are the backseat drivers that tell you to do something illegal or don't notice their surroundings

Trip A
Me: *stops at stop sign* (no turn signal)
Pax: "Oh, just keep going straight"
Me: "I know, I just stopped because of the stop sign"
Pax: "Oh"
(No joke, they were expecting me to blow the stop sign)

Trip B
(At a one way right turn only, gps already tells me to go straight and take 3 lefts)
Pax: "Take a left at this intersection"
Me: "I can't, it's a one way, no left turns"
Pax: "It's okay, the destinations not too far, a left here shouldn't hurt"
Me: "Again, it's a one way, a left turn here is illegal and dangerous"
Pax: "Nothing will happen, just do it"
Me: "Not happening"
Pax: "Fine then, just drop me/us off at this corner"
Me: "Ok"
(Like it will take that much more time and add that much to the cost to just go straight and take the 3 lefts)

Trip C
(When a left turn is blocked by a median or I miss a turn, next intersection is marked no U-Turns)
Pax: "Just make a U'ey"
Me: "It's posted no U-Turns"
Pax: "Eh, It'll be fine, nobody's around"
Me: *takes a left and finds a safe place to turn around*

What's scary is many of these pax are sober and have a valid driver's license and vehicle, they just take Uber as a matter of convenience. Had they driven, they would have blown that stop sign, made that left into oncoming traffic, or made that possibly dangerous U-Turn
This works for me. I tell them I can not go more than 5 MPH above the posted speed limit. I can't do u turns. Run a red....... Whatever. And when I'm on the freeway and they tell me to speed, I tell them that I can't because the car is governed at 65. ( Like Semi Trucks that are regulated to not go over a certain speed limit that is set and determined by the company. Every one has seen those Frito Lay trucks and some City vehicles that have signs on the back saying this vehicle cannot exceed 55 MPR. That is what governing a vehicle means.)

When they ask why the hell would my car be governed. I say cuz this car does not belong to me. It belongs to Uber. How so?? They ask. Then I give them a quick brief on Exchange Lease. Then they say, well how would Uber know if I speed..... Whatever? I say, "Well, you don't think Uber would just hand over a car to me without protecting their investment right? No! They've got this car Lo Jacked, speed regulated, satellite monitoring of the posted speed limits in the areas the car drives, monitoring of lane directionals, They even have cameras and mics set up to record all that goes on in here.......Yep, they sure protect their investment!":rolleyes:

Crickets from the back seat..................

"You guys ok back there? "

"Oh yeah, we're ok".....

Crickets..... Crickets........Crickets........Crickets.......

And that's how the rest of my ride goes. You don't have to actually have an Exchange Lease car to use this. Just lie. Pax don't know a lease car or the qualifications. If they ask where the camera and mic is, say all over and point randomly at the dash and ceiling. They'll spend the rest of the ride staring with paranoia at random clips and screw holes in the car.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Had a group so drunk once the one giving me directions couldn't discern left from right, said turn left and pointed right. For the rest of the trip I transposed left and right and utterly confused the hell outta all of them. (Turn right here when turn is to the left.) They went on like they were the ones who'd been doing it wrong their whole lives! Yes, it's this house on the right! (House was on the left)...Had to be there, but looks on faces man, looks on faces.

·
26,291 Posts
In the cab business, local law usually requires that the driver use the route that the passenger dictates. As I already have the habit, if I am driving UberX that day, usually I carry it over to that. I am so used to it that I do not mind it.

I do, however, mind it when they want me to do something illegal. I have had passengers offer to pay the fine. Right. You might pay the fine, but I can not transfer the points to you.

I have had more than a few who are directing me block-by-block ask me why I am stopping here or there. "Uh, because the STOP sign says to stop?" or "Because the light is red which means that you stop and wait for the green light?" or "Because there is a crosswalk here in which there is a pedestrian and the law requires that I yield the right of way to said pedestrian in said crosswalk? In fact, the District of Columbia gives a two-hundred fifty dollar fine and eight points for failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. I do not like it either, not the fine or the yield, but as Hillary did not win, still I am not required to like it, I am, however required to do it".

Then there is "pull up in front of the door". "Trust me, Sirrah, that would be my most ardent desire, but, if you would be so good as to observe that the truck in front of me that has MILLER LITE painted all over it is already parked in front of the door. One of the Laws of Physics dictates that two solid objects can not occupy the same space at the same time. I must respectfully decline, My Good Man, to drive onto the sidewalk".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts