Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Like many others, my account was unexpectedly placed on hold on the 7th or December pending the annual renewal of my background check. I have been driving for over 6 years and this is the first time that I have been taken offline for this reason. Anyway, last week, on the 23rd, the background report was finally completed by Checkr and forwarded to Uber. I figured that some automated review process would take place, and that I would be back on the road the same day. That did not happen. My driver account is stuck in "Onboarding" status, and according to the support representatives that I have been able to reach on the phone, I won't be able to start driving again until the results of my background check have been reviewed by the appropriate team.

I'm hoping to get a sense of how much time passed between Checkr's completion of everyone's background checks and Uber giving you the green light to start driving again, so that I can have some idea of what to expect.

Thanks in advance for your time.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
i have a question when you recieved your backround check what did it look like all green andsaid clear because that is what mine said does it mean im hired

mine says onboarding as well

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I’m in the same boat. Unable to go on line. Checkr completed the report but Uber says they have to review it - it’s been two days. There is nothing new on the report. Only thing is a speeding ticket from 1985. Been driving for Uber for 2 years...never had this before.

·
12,351 Posts
I was offline 12 days. I'm guessing with the long holiday weekend, they got even more behind. Make sure both your MVR and your criminal has came back. Checkr sent me an email saying mine was complete but that was only the MVR, not the criminal

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was offline 12 days. I'm guessing with the long holiday weekend, they got even more behind. Make sure both your MVR and your criminal has came back. Checkr sent me an email saying mine was complete but that was only the MVR, not the criminal
Thanks for your reply, @Daisey77. I've downloaded the pdf provided by Checkr and it contains both my MVR and criminal reports. There is a "consider" flag for county, but that's an issue from 2015 that was dismissed. I've been driving since 9/2014.

I'm in the same boat. Unable to go on line. Checkr completed the report but Uber says they have to review it - it's been two days. There is nothing new on the report. Only thing is a speeding ticket from 1985. Been driving for Uber for 2 years...never had this before.
If you think about it when the time comes, I'll be curious to know when you're allowed back online. The copied/pasted message that I received from support said that the review process can take up to 5 business days. If my report was completed the afternoon of 12/23, maybe that means I'll be able to drive again 12/31, I hope.

I'll definitely be more prepared for the possibility of this happening again next year. I wasn't expecting to be offline for 3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
Yesterday Uber notified me that they were doing a new background check on me (for the first time in 5 years), told me they'd let me know when I could log in again, but had me ready to go by the end of the day. Less than 8 hours.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Like many others, my account was unexpectedly placed on hold on the 7th or December pending the annual renewal of my background check.
Like many others, these background checks are often completed in minutes without any hiccups. Accounts that are tossed into the review bin are "flagged" because some type of wrongdoing was documented and needs further intervention by live Uber personnel to determine if the driver might be shady. These determinations include interpreting what the actual crime might have been, because so many courts are in the habit of reducing the original charges. Uber has plenty of ants driving for them, they're not taking chances with any potential bad apples.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I completely understand why they have to wait to onboard new drivers to process background checks, but it really makes no sense that they take existing drivers that are in good standing off line for what appear to be random checks.

When I first applied, I was on the road within 6 hours of applying. Now that I have driven for almost 2 years with 3k rides (and they know much more about me) they boot me off for at least a few days (and counting) while they review my background check that did not change.

·
12,351 Posts
Thanks for your reply, @Daisey77. I've downloaded the pdf provided by Checkr and it contains both my MVR and criminal reports. There is a "consider" flag for county, but that's an issue from 2015 that was dismissed. I've been driving since 9/2014.
Exact same scenario here. I started driving 6 months after you and this was the first time I was taken off line. The only consider flag I have is the same one that's been on there since I started. My Criminal took 11 days to come back. Then Uber had me back up and running 24 hours later
Yesterday Uber notified me that they were doing a new background check on me (for the first time in 5 years), told me they'd let me know when I could log in again, but had me ready to go by the end of the day. Less than 8 hours.
Were both of your reports green clear? If so, that's expected. Typically the backgrounds that have a consider flag are the ones that are taking longer because someone at Uber has to manually review them
I completely understand why they have to wait to onboard new drivers to process background checks, but it really makes no sense that they take existing drivers that are in good standing off line for what appear to be random checks.

When I first applied, I was on the road within 6 hours of applying. Now that I have driven for almost 2 years with 3k rides (and they know much more about me) they boot me off for at least a few days (and counting) while they review my background check that did not change.
It probably expired. Here we have to have one on file within the last 365 days. They waited to run my background until the day my last one expired so legally I could not drive. That's why most of the drivers here are getting pulled off line. They're just waiting until the expiration date to rerun the backgrounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been offline since December 8th. My background check was complete since the 10th. Only issue was an expired inspection tag in 2018 which was dismissed. I’m a Diamond driver with good ratings. I reactivated my Lyft account and they also ran a background check using Checkr. My account was never put on hold with Lyft and they texted me saying everything was fine and thanked me for being a responsible driver. Why can Lyft accomplish in one day what Uber hasn’t been able to in 21 days and counting

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been offline since December 8th. My background check was complete since the 10th.
That's concerning... 18 days, so far, to complete a review that should only take minutes?

Like many others, these background checks are often completed in minutes without any hiccups. Accounts that are tossed into the review bin are "flagged" because some type of wrongdoing was documented and needs further intervention by live Uber personnel to determine if the driver might be shady. These determinations include interpreting what the actual crime might have been, because so many courts are in the habit of reducing the original charges. Uber has plenty of ants driving for them, they're not taking chances with any potential bad apples.
You didn't read the original post in its entirety. I hope your day gets better.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
You didn't read the original post in its entirety. I hope your day gets better.
You need to hope your days get better - I read your entire post and I responded that your account is on hold because you got a shit-stain on your background report and Uber is taking their sweet time deciding if you're worth a shit to them anymore.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You need to hope your days get better - I read your entire post and I responded that your account is on hold because you got a shit-stain on your background report and Uber is taking their sweet time deciding if you're worth a shit to them anymore.
To those who have been around a while - is this guy always an a*shole for no reason? I feel for people like this, who harbor such anger and bitterness in their hearts. Oh well. His problem, not mine.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
To those who have been around a while - is this guy always an a*shole for no reason? I feel for people like this, who harbor such anger and bitterness in their hearts. Oh well. His problem, not mine.
No problem here, I'm able to pass every background check in only a few minutes. :smiles:

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Checkr sent my report to Uber on 12/22 and I'm still offline. Just called Uber support and she related that it shouldn't have taken this long and that she was sending a message to Background support and that I should be activated within the next 24 hours. I'll believe when I see it. GLTA

1 - 20 of 37 Posts