Uber Drivers Forum banner

Would you take a kid or baby without a car/baby seat?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I arrived at this low rent apt building in the west end and after 4 mins a young couple come out with the teenage girl holding a baby in her arms. She goes to the back passenger side door. The guy who looks all of 20 goes over to the driver side back door. They stand there for a couple of seconds while I size up the situation. I always keep my doors locked until I get a sense of who, how many and the condition of the client(s). Seeing no car seat, I bring down the back right window and ask the teenage kid holding the baby if she has a car seat. She says "no" and I say "Sorry you have to have one" and drive away.
Went around the corner and waited 30 seconds and got my 5 mins in and at least pocketed $4 for my troubles.

Very next day got a ping in the same area - accepted and saw that it was the same client - immediately cancelled - didn't need the drama. Three or four days later same area - got the same client again and carried out the same drill.

Which leads me to the question - they must be drivers out there who are putting their financial security at risk by accepting folks who don't have car seats for their babies/toddlers. All for a few bucks. Imagine what would happen if you got into an accident -not even your fault if some toddler was severely injured or worst? Those same folks who wanted you to take them without a car seat for their kid would turn on you in a second and sue you for every last cent.

So fellow drivers I urge each and every one of you to drive away from a situation like the one I just described - get your 5 mins in for your time and move on. Most of these folks will eventually get the message - although human nature being what it is there will be some that will not care or do not have the mental capacity to care.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your like me. Just report to the Hub about the rider and mention about the car seat. Toronto have a rental car seat option but not in Ottawa. Sadly, they are still working it out with the city authorities, which I hope not.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Taxis are exempt from the car seat requirement (in Ontario anyway). It's possible these people are used to that exemption and expect it will carry over to PTC's. Or it's also possible as you say, they just keep trying until someone accepts them. Either way, in the future as these types of services become more mainstream, I'm sure you will see a similar exemption.

The problem in the here and now is too many drivers not enforcing the same standards. This applies to a lot more than car seats..... i.e smoking, eating, drinking alcohol etc. Much of the bad pax behaviour can be attributed to bad drivers just as much as the pax themselves. It's no different than a kid playing good parent bad parent. You have to show a united front so the pax can expect the same consistently enforced rules every time they use the service.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts