Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Banned
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have not done any Uber rides over the last month but to give you some background. I have over 3500 Lyft rides under my belt. Before everyone begins to bash me about being concerned about ratings etc. I've set upon a simple experiment. What would happen if I did not pick up any 'ghetto' customers over a period of 10 days.

Here is the experiment parameters:
*Brooklyn: No pick ups in; East NY, deep bed stuy, Brownsville (under any circumstance), project buildings etc.
*Queens: Jamaica Queens, Holis, any ghetto
*Bronx: Only Riverdale - otherwise Lyft app is off or I ignore calls.
*Manhattan: Only below 110th on westside (no projects), Below 110th on East side (no projects), Washington heights was A-Okay as long as rating was above 4.7

No rides are offered to customers with rating below 4.5 under any circumstance. No acceptance of rides added without me first knowing the rating.

In short, I did not take any rides from low-income areas and low rated passengers. My rating went from a 4.81 to 4.98. So my conclusion is that we should not pick up low rated customers, people from low income areas and especially project buildings. No issues whatsoever except for the occasional oddball who I of course gave a 1 star without hesitation. So if you're feeling a tad bit stressed, follow this simple experiment and share with other drivers to ensure that you maintain your sanity. My experience is that the bad apples rate poorly no matter what and are the ones prone to reporting drivers for nonsense and always complaining.

I also only give out 3 ratings:
5 stars: On time, polite, engaging, cool or friendly.
4 stars: Not on time, a person I wouldn't mind seeing again.
1 star: Backseat driving in any form, weird, rude, smells, personal questions, has consumed any kind of alcohol (even if well behaved), cigarette odor, used drugs etc..

I give preemptive 1 star ratings. If I have an inkling to suspect a complaint. I file a lengthy complaint and give an immediate 1. This is how I do it.

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
I have not done any Uber rides over the last month but to give you some background. I have over 3500 Lyft rides under my belt. Before everyone begins to bash me about being concerned about ratings etc. I've set upon a simple experiment. What would happen if I did not pick up any 'ghetto' customers over a period of 10 days.

*Brooklyn: No pick ups in; East NY, deep bed stuy, Brownsville (under any circumstance), project buildings etc.
*Manhattan: Only below 110th on westside (no projects), Below 110th on East side (no projects), Washington heights was A-Okay as long as rating was above 4.7

No rides are offered to customers with rating below 4.5 under any circumstance. No acceptance of rides added without me first knowing the rating.

In short, I did not take any rides from low-income areas and low rated passengers. My rating went from a 4.81 to 4.98. So my conclusion is that we should not pick up low rated customers, people from low income areas and especially project buildings. No issues whatsoever except for the occasional oddball who I of course gave a 1 star without hesitation. So if you're feeling a tad bit stressed, follow this simple experiment and share with other drivers to ensure that you maintain your sanity.

My experience is that the bad apples rate poorly no matter what and are the ones prone to reporting drivers for nonsense and always complaining.
wael this is the advice u need.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Some hood people will 1 star you cuz they think its funny.

Hard for some ofthem to take things related to work seriously.

But I have picked up decent people in those areas who just happened to be low income but did not act that way. Lets be fair.

Its a gamble , leave it to the livery guys lol

·
Banned
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some hood people will 1 star you cuz they think its funny.

Hard for some ofthem to take things related to work seriously.

But I have picked up decent people in those areas who just happened to be low income but did not act that way. Lets be fair.

Its a gamble , leave it to the livery guys lol
In my personal experience, I share nothing in common with many people from these areas other than skin color. They also file complaints without a second thought so it's not worth the headache. They also complain about navigation all the time. So the best way to deal with it is to simply not pick them up. I don't care what anyone says. Call me anything you want but at the end of the day, we are working men and women.

The hood folks will give a 1 star rating if they don't like the price. That's been my personal experience. The best way to combat that is to not pick them up. Always give them a 1 star. They always ask for that stupid hot97 station and chargers which of course I don't provide. I even had one hood rat demand mints, on a line ride.

This is how we as drivers can manage the platform since uber and lyft have proven they are disinterested in managing riders. So we must enforce these conditions to provide a safe platform for all.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In my personal experience, I share nothing in common with many people from these areas other than skin color. They also file complaints without a second thought so it's not worth the headache. They also complain about navigation all the time. So the best way to deal with it is to simply not pick them up. I don't care what anyone says. Call me anything you want but at the end of the day, we are working men and women.

The hood folks will give a 1 star rating if they don't like the price. That's been my personal experience. The best way to combat that is to not pick them up. Always give them a 1 star. They always ask for that stupid hot97 station and chargers which of course I don't provide. I even had one hood rat demand mints, on a line ride.

This is how we as drivers can manage the platform since uber and lyft have proven they are disinterested in managing riders. So we must enforce these conditions to provide a safe platform for all.
True that people from the hood often request wack HOT 97...outside of that I don't agree w/you. I too use LYFT mostly. I also find that most people in the hood use UBER. I have a 5 rating, but I don't even care anymore. I pick up whoever whenever because they'll be out of the vehicle soon.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I've found much the same. Pax rate you low in the hood. I figure that is why it used to surge over there more often, because most drivers know this.

What I dislike more is the hood people who are not in the hood, but going back to the hood and rating like they are in the hood. Damn you hood people, stay in your hood

Honestly tho I usually do bring the shamiquas back where they belong, because it's usually decent fare and they are appreciative that they didn't get that 4rth cancel in a row once the name came up

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

In short, I did not take any rides from low-income areas and low rated passengers. My rating went from a 4.81 to 4.98. So my conclusion is that we should not pick up low rated customers, people from low income areas and especially project buildings. No issues whatsoever except for the occasional oddball who I of course gave a 1 star without hesitation. So if you're feeling a tad bit stressed, follow this simple experiment and share with other drivers to ensure that you maintain your sanity. My experience is that the bad apples rate poorly no matter what and are the ones prone to reporting drivers for nonsense and always complaining.

1 star: Backseat driving in any form, weird, rude, smells, personal questions, has consumed any kind of alcohol (even if well behaved), cigarette odor, used drugs etc..

I give preemptive 1 star ratings. If I have an inkling to suspect a complaint. I file a lengthy complaint and give an immediate 1. This is how I do it.
PRO!

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts

Forget about ratings, it should be more of a safety concern...I've only picked up crackheads, DDealers and Hookers around those areas. Funny thing is that it's almost 100% guaranteed you will end up taking them to another ghetto area.

BTW, Brownsville is the worse hands down.

·
Premium Member
3,870 Posts
True that people from the hood often request wack HOT 97...outside of that I don't agree w/you. I too use LYFT mostly. I also find that most people in the hood use UBER. I have a 5 rating, but I don't even care anymore. I pick up whoever whenever because they'll be out of the vehicle soon.
Hot 97 shud be the least of ur worries. It cud be a lot worse

If u think jamaica and hollis in queens are gehtto..then u don't know what r u talking about..
I wish I had a house in Hollis. They r really nice

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts

Your entire system spits in the face of the exact kind of discrimination these ride sharing apps are trying to avoid. Your not cancelling on people (I hope) so your lucky to get away with it. Good luck with that attitude throughout life. Hopefully it doesn't bite you in the ass one day

I've found much the same. Pax rate you low in the hood. I figure that is why it used to surge over there more often, because most drivers know this.

What I dislike more is the hood people who are not in the hood, but going back to the hood and rating like they are in the hood. Damn you hood people, stay in your hood

Honestly tho I usually do bring the shamiquas back where they belong, because it's usually decent fare and they are appreciative that they didn't get that 4rth cancel in a row once the name came up
Word, thanks to bigota like Underwood, I get such praises for not cancelling on them, I get a 5 star JUST for that. Your stereotyping is my reward.

·
Premium Member
4,240 Posts

I sometimes agree.

but ya gotta be careful or you'll wreck your acceptance rating. everyone says AR doesn't matter, but it does.

I used to have a minimum pickup rating 4.7, but I dropped it to 4.6 - too many drivers 1-star decent and very polite and behaved passengers - simply because they didn't tip.

there are also times I'm pulling up to the passenger, and just want to take my foot off the brake and pull the hell away.

normally, after I pick somebody up, I start driving but I always wait about 10 seconds to swipe start. that should be enough time to get a little bit of an inkling to know if you're going to have to say "nevermind, beat it pal"

1 - 20 of 110 Posts