Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
As some of you may or may not know, the auto insurance policy that you have for your personal vehicle does not cover you if you are to get into an auto accident while you are driving Uber/Lyft, even if you have coverage for commute. Currently, there are a few companies that are offering an endorsement (additional coverage) to your Auto policy to cover driving for Uber/Lyft. The issue is, that the vehicle is now being used for "business" reasons, but Uber/Lyft are not providing the necessary coverage to have their drivers vehicles insured individually.

·
Registered
375 Posts
As some of you may or may not know, the auto insurance policy that you have for your personal vehicle does not cover you if you are to get into an auto accident while you are driving Uber/Lyft, even if you have coverage for commute. Currently, there are a few companies that are offering an endorsement (additional coverage) to your Auto policy to cover driving for Uber/Lyft. The issue is, that the vehicle is now being used for "business" reasons, but Uber/Lyft are not providing the necessary coverage to have their drivers vehicles insured individually.
Which insurance companies would be best for timeshare work --perhaps unlimited mileage TNC endorsements... preferably at $20/mo additional or less. I've read here that Farmers, USAA , ERIE and perhaps State Farm and another are providing TNC endorsements and coverage in Ohio, the average cost of which seems to be $200 extra a year. Seems rather low to me ( I have had actual commercial insurance before).

I presume one has to switch companies in order to be covered by the TNC endorsement of that company. Can one have approval from Ins co #1 and a separate endorsement from Ins co #2?

I presume other enquiring minds want to know..

thanks

-CC

·
Registered
608 Posts
This has always been a gray area. I was in an accident a yr ago. Someone rear ended me on left rear. Guy took off. I contacted uber. Told them what happened. I was going to pick up a rider at the time. Monday I got email from James River ins. Had to take pics of damage. It was a hassle at first. Then I said this is BS. I filed a claim with my insurance. Told uber and they came back and said "this our claim" close the other claim out. I did. Uber paid the claim less 250 deductible because it was a hit and run. Normal deductible 1000. So I asked myself do I really need rideshare endorsement. It was all settled in a week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This has always been a gray area. I was in an accident a yr ago. Someone rear ended me on left rear. Guy took off. I contacted uber. Told them what happened. I was going to pick up a rider at the time. Monday I got email from James River ins. Had to take pics of damage. It was a hassle at first. Then I said this is BS. I filed a claim with my insurance. Told uber and they came back and said "this our claim" close the other claim out. I did. Uber paid the claim less 250 deductible because it was a hit and run. Normal deductible 1000. So I asked myself do I really need rideshare endorsement. It was all settled in a week.
For $200 a year to know you are fully covered is well worth it. Uber endorsment is new with my insurance company so i feel they dont know exactly what they cover but according to my agent they have a list of exactly what uber covers vs state farm. He made it sound more like uber covers the passenger more and my insurance covers me more.

·
Registered
375 Posts
State Farm is hostile (as of 3 mo ago) to Timeshare work in Ohio. In Indiana next door i.e. Lawerenceburg, they may be ok and even offer endorsements.

Many drivers in the "timeshare" (UBER?) movement' s first years were dropped by their insurance companies (still are) upon discovering Timeshare work. I really don't know how Uber grew at the rate it did with drivers nationwide experiencing such.

Many fail to grasp the concept of insurance, or that it is primarily regulated at the State level, where a company may be hostile to TNC work in one, and actively write Uber and/or Lyft endorsements (a relatively new concept in most states) in another. In Ohio, there may only be 2 or 3 insurers currently writing endorsements for Timeshare work. Perhaps with company or mileage limitations. I believe one must change the vehicle insurance entirely to obtain one. A work in progress.

Driver Beware. DAYOR

Stay Safe

CC

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes you need rideshare endorsement. If you were seriously injured, you would want to be covered by your own $300,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, (You carry that much or more of course) amongst other things. If your car was damaged or destroyed in stage 1 (waiting for a ping) you would eat the damage or whole car in many if not all States in addition to your injuries. Injury covered perhaps by James River uninsured motorist coverage while with a passenger or possibly in stage II in many (all?) states.
It was a hassle at first
Huh... yeah..... and this was a simple one.

Isn't it grand Uber just doesn't put all the emphasis on recruiting drivers, but thoroughly goes through even minor details such as insurance with each partner?

Shows their human side and not the money grubbing startup portrayed by some here. F***- UBER indeed...

Stay Safe

CC

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm very new to the ride share biz. Spouse and I are both over a certain age and have been with Progressive for house, scooters (the 2 wheeled ones - 400cc) and our two vehicles for years. We were happy with our rates. Went shopping for the TNC or gap insurance early last week. I wasn't able to find a company at least in OH that would just issue a separate policy to cover the gap. That said, we saved over $300/year by going with Farmers, that's including the necessary insurance for TNC or gap as well as $14 a month for first accident forgiveness. Not sure everyone's experience will be the same but we're grateful. We have $500 deductibles for collision and comprehensive, and their policy has no deductible for glass breakage. I think by most people's thoughts, we're still paying quite a bit but we have high amounts of coverage. Hope this is helpful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts