Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Australian UBER Drivers - We need your help to get National Media Coverage.

As I mentioned on another thread without National Media coverage about the plight of Uber drivers in Australia we will get nowhere. https://uberpeople.net/threads/we-have-listened.30592/

We all need to actively get our story out; with this in mind I have put together a rough list of the major media contacts across the Nation.

Given the amount of unhappy drivers that are on this site nationally we can have a voice and start to create a groundswell. And maybe just maybe we can make a difference for all of us.

These are only my thoughts - please feel free to add suggestions, offer services, contacts, etc. I am also happy to facilitate connecting people up discreetly.

Our esteemed HC drivers - surely you have built up a number of media/legal/ big end of town contacts in your travels that you could have a quite word with, if you have not already.

What would be wonderful to have are a few different themed Media Releases. Suggestions below.
• The impact of the GST on drivers
• The BS earnings that UBER are using to entice new drivers, whilst Uber are burning the existing drivers that help them take a share of the market
• The low fares that drivers have to endure, ratings etc, etc.

There are a number of very articulate people on this forum that really know what they are talking about, maybe they would like to also put something together. I seem to remember that someone on the one of the Aussie city forums has communications experience. Maybe they would like to assist with drafting something. Please put your hand up if interested.

Would also be wonderful to have a National Facebook page, if we don't already - we would need someone to set this up and act as a responsible moderator, so that bad language and abusive comments can be deleted. Twitter is also another avenue.

Also what about Change .Org petition - https://www.change.org/ just a thought 

In the mean time below are the contact numbers for various media outlets. You may also have media outlets that are not on the list that you may wish to contact.

Just remember to keep your language civil, factual and to the point.

Radio
• Call your local ABC Radio: you can call the ABC Radio anonymously if you wish, just explain why, they do respect that.
o 702 ABC Sydney: (02) 8333 1234
o 612 ABC Brisbane: (07) 3377 5222
o 91.7 Gold Coast FM: (07) 5595 2917
o 774 ABC Melbourne: (03) 9626 1500
o 720 ABC Perth: (08) 9220 2700

Television
• A Current Affair - http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/feedback.aspx send a story

• 60 Minutes - http://www.9jumpin.com.au/show/60minutes/send-a-story/
o Phone: 02 9906 9999
o Email: [email protected]

• Channel Nine main numbers
o Channel 9 Sydney+61 2 9906 9999
o Channel 9 Melbourne+61 3 9420 3111
o Channel 9 Brisbane+61 7 3214 9999
o Channel 9 Adelaide+61 8 8267 0111
o Channel 9 Perth+61 8 9449 9999

• Contact the Today Show - don't have a number.

Print Media - write letters to the Editors, call, or email.
• SMH: Editorial and news
o PH: 02 9282 2833.

• Courier Mail Brisbane - they love a good story.
o PH: (07) 3666 8000 - Newsroom
o Email Newsroom: [email protected]

• The Age: Editorial and news
o PH: (03) 8667 2250
o Switch: +61 3 8667 2000

• WA Today: Newsroom
o PH: 08 9220 1560
o Email: [email protected].

I am also aware that there are some people working quietly in the background - if I am treading on fingers and toes please PM me and I do apologize in advance if that is the case.

Some content should not be out on a public site - PM people, just be aware of this going forward.

Please make an effort to contact anyone of the Media outlets if you are comfortable doing so.
Just remember to keep your language civil, factual and to the point.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Great research on the contact details, be mindful which media outlets actually side with UBER and direct your inquiries accordingly. I no longer drive for uber under these BS conditions, let me know if I can be of assistance (anonymously)

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
...absolutely laughable that illegal black market members of the Share economy (UberX drivers) now think they have workers rights without ever paying a dollar of tax!

What's next? Drug dealers complaining to the media of bad work conditions and no dental plan...
I'm not advocating workers rights, however I am all for exposing Uber for what it is. Deceptive, manipulative and unethical wilfully putting huge risks on largely unknowing drivers, purely for uber's benefit not the individual and all these fictitious so called jobs these clowns are creating.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
...absolutely laughable that illegal black market members of the Share economy (UberX drivers) now think they have workers rights without ever paying a dollar of tax!

What's next? Drug dealers complaining to the media of bad work conditions and no dental plan...
Slow down there Something's fishy :) Uber Execs know they're throwing UberX drivers to wolves, but for most drivers it's a slow learning curve.
Uber says Drive!
Drivers say Okay!
Later drivers say Oh Shit! Uber didn't tell me drivers needed that!
Uber says Drive! Uber has driver's backs!
And we could go on and on.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Um... without wanting to start a row... I will be paying income tax on my Uber earnings for 2014-15. You can be critical of us on other matters, it's an open forum, make your arguments, but I'm not a tax dodger. Not this little black duck anyway. I was the guy on that ATO Webinar declaring that he just wanted to be tax compliant.

I understand (in part), the issues from your end. I've never driven a cab myself, but members of my family have. Now I find myself in the new 'rideshare' game. Which has undeniably changed the whole passenger transport landscape. Rider expectations have ben raised now, and I figure that those in the industry will either cater for the new environment, else suffer as a result.

I never go about attacking you Fishy, I hope you don't attack me. I don't think attacks in either direction achieve all that much on UP anyway. Whatever, here's my two cents on the tax thing. I can only speak for me on this one.

Everyone flocks to the Brisbane forum. I figure it's because Brisbane starts with a "B"

The B puts Brisbane above Melbourne, Sydney and Perth on the list of UP city forums.

Australia starts with an "A".

hint hint! :p

(and with that, I shall UberSkidoo outa here!)

_

·
Registered
362 Posts
Now hang on guys... the legitimate law abiding tax payers and business people like myself have an issue with the rest of these posters above me, namely that the moment you'all signed up to UBER you also WILLING choose to break the law but also agreed to subscribe to capitalism 101 UBER style, meaning that you waved your employee rights away for a contractor relationship.

You signed up believing UBER's sales pitch that you would not have to pay GST and even some of you believed UBER's lobbying for complete tax exemption for the "share economy."

The original poster must have rock in his/her head if they think UberX drivers are entitled to anything other than a dressing down.

I mean why should the rest of the community have to pay for UBER's greed and the UberX drivers stupidity?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mate, please read the text before you go off.

It's not about not wanting to pay tax, it's about Uber not increasing their prices to accomodate the tax increase, as every other company does. This has really nothing to do with your concerns, Fishy.

It's really strange you cast the entire 'Share economy' in this light too. Don't you 'share' your cabs?

Consider this: Did you know that the drivers in this forum are probably your greatest allies?

Think about it. Uber, in one form or another, is here to stay. Drivers here want to be paid better and treated better by the company (who doesn't?). The more established Uber becomes, the more pressure the government will be under to deregulate the industry and the more likely they will buy back your licences. Further more, deregulation will make driving for taxis co's a better deal. Many drivers will abandon Uber. Uber will either have to pay their drivers more to entice them back, probably becoming similarly priced to taxis and thus losing their major competitive edge. Or Uber won't pay their drivers more, meaning there will be less of them, higher surge rates, make taxis a cheaper option.

What frustrates me when reading your posts, Fishy, is that all you do is complain and squander opportunities. You could learn more about the industry, see where the weak points are and take advantage of them, but all you do is post tabloid-esque articles to the wrong crowd. Theres so much you can leverage! You often post incorrect information or assumptions that just turn out to be a little embarrassing. You can make these posts until your blue in the face but you wont get anywhere.

If posting here is a handy way to vent your anger about something then I guess that's healthy, but I really wish you would do more.

Awaiting your vaguely brassy rebuttal....

·
Registered
362 Posts
^^^ ...whatever do you mean?

Shock...

I read everything that is addressed to me and in particular what you write. But unfortunately it's not reciprocated. Example... I tell you that UBER is abusing your rights to earning an illegal living, advising you to leave and YOU agree that UBER is abusive but instead of leaving en mass and teaching your recalcitrant employer a leason in people management you want me and every other law abiding citizen to "council" UBER into moving away negotiating behind a successful illegitimate policy of bribes and hiding behind lawyers...

Mate help your self and everyone else by leaving UBER and contacting your local member and voicing your support against the "share economy" before it becomes entrenched in modern society and we all end up like UberX drivers... devoid of reason and begging for handouts from billionaires representing everything we collectively dispise...

Now read again...

·
Registered
431 Posts

Shock...

I read everything that is addressed to me and in particular what you write. But unfortunately it's not reciprocated. Example... I tell you that UBER is abusing your rights to earning an illegal living, advising you to leave and YOU agree that UBER is abusive but instead of leaving en mass and teaching your recalcitrant employer a leason in people management you want me and every other law abiding citizen to "council" UBER into moving away negotiating behind a successful illegitimate policy of bribes and hiding behind lawyers...

Mate help your self and everyone else by leaving UBER and contacting your local member and voicing your support against the "share economy" before it becomes entrenched in modern society and we all end up like UberX drivers... devoid of reason and begging for handouts from billionaires representing everything we collectively dispise...

Now read again...
I usually find it hard to agree with fishy, but this post he is spot on. Uber's vision of sharing economy is nothing more than third world country wages and living standards for people who do the work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Now hang on guys... the legitimate law abiding tax payers and business people like myself have an issue with the rest of these posters above me, namely that the moment you'all signed up to UBER you also WILLING choose to break the law but also agreed to subscribe to capitalism 101 UBER style, meaning that you waved your employee rights away for a contractor relationship.

You signed up believing UBER's sales pitch that you would not have to pay GST and even some of you believed UBER's lobbying for complete tax exemption for the "share economy."

The original poster must have rock in his/her head if they think UberX drivers are entitled to anything other than a dressing down.

I mean why should the rest of the community have to pay for UBER's greed and the UberX drivers stupidity?
Are you going to be okay?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Shock...

Now read again...
Something's fishy you have an unrealistic view. You are trying to kill ant colonies with a fly swatter.
Shock is correct. Something's fishy you are smarter than this, so start teaching UberX drivers how to correct what's wrong with Uber instead of trying to get all UberX drivers to run away. Uber isn't going away BUT if you educate & inspire enough drivers to fight for changes, then you can help put everyone on a level playing field. Your posts here only reach a small small fraction of drivers. And for every one that you convince to quit, 10 more are recruited. Put the fly swatter down and start singing a song that gets these drivers and the next to sing your tune with you.

·
Registered
537 Posts
A big part of Ubers power is it's voting pax, we see this in todays article: http://www.smh.com.au/business/comment-and-analysis/the-uberisation-of-activism-20150807-gitxia.html

Share Drivers have access to the same voters as Uber does....so how can we use this to our advantage?

One way is we could put the same sign into every Uber Car.

If it's the same sign then pax cannot single out share drivers for bad reviews or complaints/photos back to uber...if everybody's doing it and they will soon catch on. The sign needs to be to the point. Something that pax might respond to positively. Something that every share driver could agree with displaying.

Any ideas or thoughts?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Something's fishy you have an unrealistic view. You are trying to kill ant colonies with a fly swatter.
Shock is correct. Something's fishy you are smarter than this, so start teaching UberX drivers how to correct what's wrong with Uber instead of trying to get all UberX drivers to run away. Uber isn't going away BUT if you educate & inspire enough drivers to fight for changes, then you can help put everyone on a level playing field. Your posts here only reach a small small fraction of drivers. And for every one that you convince to quit, 10 more are recruited. Put the fly swatter down and start singing a song that gets these drivers and the next to sing your tune with you.
I tried writing something like this yesterday (but I had the flu and wasnt making sense).

I think you've hit the nail on the head. This is what I mean. Fishy wants there to be a level playing field, and so do Uber drivers. That's what I mean by we Uber drivers are probably the taxi industries best ally.

Case in point today: Uber are going to raise their prices by 10% to accomodate GST. Theyre not going to admit it but I bet all the emails from grumpy drivers helped.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I tried writing something like this yesterday (but I had the flu and wasnt making sense).

I think you've hit the nail on the head. This is what I mean. Fishy wants there to be a level playing field, and so do Uber drivers. That's what I mean by we Uber drivers are probably the taxi industries best ally.

Case in point today: Uber are going to raise their prices by 10% to accomodate GST. Theyre not going to admit it but I bet all the emails from grumpy drivers helped.
So, there has been a rate rise in Bris or you have been advised of one?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Dead miles are only deductible if you are logged on in theory - but how does the ATO prove you weren't unless Uber produces some sort of report showing you dropped off at point A, logged off, and then drove 20km and logged back on at point B. The 20km in this instance wouldn't be tax deductible I wouldn't think.

It would be so easy for Uber to just produce a weekly report showing how many km's we did while the Uber app was either logged on, travelling to a pax or driving a pax.
A big part of Ubers power is it's voting pax, we see this in todays article: http://www.smh.com.au/business/comment-and-analysis/the-uberisation-of-activism-20150807-gitxia.html
Share Drivers have access to the same voters as Uber does....so how can we use this to our advantage?
One way is we could put the same sign into every Uber Car.

If it's the same sign then pax cannot single out share drivers for bad reviews or complaints/photos back to uber...if everybody's doing it and they will soon catch on. The sign needs to be to the point. Something that pax might respond to positively. Something that every share driver could agree with displaying.
Any ideas or thoughts?
Yes, if you try to educate riders like I have you just toss your rating in the bin, 95% of Uber riders couldn't care less if we had to beg for food scraps to get by. So long as Uber riders get a cheap ride in my near new car they could not care less. If I spend a week trying to educate riders my rating crashes and as I need this gig still to launch a couple of business ideas I also need to keep my rating.
The TV and radio stations will get interested only if you can go on camera and get some ex drivers to help you out. None of this will get us better pay, it may get politicians attention but all the pollis are happy with Uber, I have pointed this out from the start and what I said many months ago people like Fish Head finally see has been the way it has worked out. I have seen other industries get crushed and people too, yes and suicides. Cabbies will be the next one as I have said so many times before, they will not get compensated for their plates and there will be some regulation for Uberites. If you have not heard of the TPP then go read about it now. This trade agreement will see things like the ABC shut down or sold, it will mean Uber can claim compensation if our laws prevent from operating by comparing our laws with the most accomodating laws in the TPP group of nations, yes this is true go Google it. Uber will happen and Uber Partner's(cough, hack wheeze) and TSL owners will get crushed because it will be a free for all.
Please do not anyone try to dispute this stuff until you read about the TPP, it very close to being finalised, there will be no public debate and it is being done in secret, even our Pollies are not invited to negotiate. It is a trade agreement between the USA, Canada, Aus, New Zealand, Japan, Indonesia and several other Asian countries and it's about wiping out trade laws, unions, environmental laws and minimum wages. The TPP will over rule all national laws, it will have a secret court run by multi national companies, you will see the worst of corporate greed exposed and you will not be able to stop it.
Sorry for the long post but I have been trying to convince Fish Head and the Amerikan(spelt correctly) taxi people for some time that Uber cannot lose and that this will happen. People you can blow off steam here as I do also but the reality is big business want us to stay just healthy enough to work til we die for nothing and hand over whatever money we do earn to them for whatever product or service only they are permitted to provide. Look around you, every law written and passed favours big business, in Brisbane we have useless expensive tunnels, we could have fixed the problem cheaper by synchronising traffic lights and making Gympie road 3 lanes or 4 lanes all the way with no merging. We have Coal Seam Gas, this will kill more people than all the wars ever fought(please educate yourself before refuting this), we have foreign owned mines only employing people(paid 1/4 of an Aussies wage) from their own country and our Pollies made this happen.
Use Uber to get ahead so you can help your children or grand children survive, use your energy to run these worthless politicians out of government and for gods sake open your eyes.

·
Registered
537 Posts
LCC I know, it's just so hard to get the message out, to abstract for many to make the link....I've written to Andrew Robb, Believe me. The Twerp had the audacity to say he had not received many complaints....about a SECRET DEAL

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ghostwren, glad we are not all blind. I don't know how many people make the link to movies like the Matrix, V for vendetta and I think even the Katy Perry song(wide awake) that I believe she wrote in a fit of clarity but that her producers corrupted to fit their agenda.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nope they are blocking it. You always know you are onto something when it's blocked and removed etc. Not to mention people are ridiculously naive nowadays, when they get the news from the TV or worse still from Facebook they are never going to understand. A recent poll in Amerika said people were against the deal with Iran, the media can spin them anything now.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts