Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No shit...We have heard plenty about it already.
No shit...And you're going to hear plenty more about it. But you're welcome to ignore it if you've already had your fill.

·
Registered
933 Posts
As stated before I have no issue with fingerprinting and DPS background checks. I already have to do this every few yrs for my full time job. Heck I'm in favor of Drug Testing drivers when they first sign on.

The $1.00 fee for the city I, as a pax and a driver, am fine with. Would even like to see Uber raise the price a bit so drivers can make a bit more per ride.

The Insurance rate increase I'm a bit leery of just do the impact it will potentially have on my wallet. Yet I do understand the concern and thoughts behind the proposal.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I already carry more than double the proposed insurance rates so that doesn't bother me. I can see how it might affect others though. Not sure why Uber is arguing about the stage 1 stuff since they aren't paying for it anyway unless that is the crux of the recommendation to the council in which case YES PLEASE!

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I already carry more than double the proposed insurance rates so that doesn't bother me. I can see how it might affect others though. Not sure why Uber is arguing about the stage 1 stuff since they aren't paying for it anyway unless that is the crux of the recommendation to the council in which case YES PLEASE!
They do pay a low liability of $100k per incident with 25k property, and that is really low for commercial service. AND it's contingent on you, so if you don't have good coverage for that period, you are rather screwed. The proposal Will force them to increase that coverage

·
Registered
933 Posts
along as they allow out of towner exception to the rules, then i am okay!
Nope wont happen. If the cities regular drivers have to do this then all out of town drivers not in compliance will end up ticketed and probably towed. Most likely Uber will block your Houston app from working. if you register with the Austin app you will be made to comply.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Nope wont happen. If the cities regular drivers have to do this then all out of town drivers not in compliance will end up ticketed and probably towed. Most likely Uber will block your Houston app from working. if you register with the Austin app you will be made to comply.
So, I wonder who it is, exactly, that's doing all the complaining abut Uber down at City Hall? It's certainly not the Uber passengers! It's starting to sound like some vested interests are making political donations again. We've got the 12th worst traffic congestion in the nation and one of the highest drunk driver fatalities rates in the U.S. and the City Council is worried about me causing an accident? Go figure.

Any regulations the Austin City Council passes won't impact any of the surrounding incorporated towns and cities which have passed ordinances in support of Uber or Lyft. You can still pick up in those towns and drop off in San Antonio, for example.

If Uber pulls out of Austin like they did in SA, Austin will be the laughing stock of the entire tech world. There will probably be jokes about it on late night TV, blaming the City Council for killing students due to negligence. LoL!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
So, I wonder who it is, exactly, that's doing all the complaining abut Uber down at City Hall? It's certainly not the Uber passengers! It's starting to sound like some vested interests are making political donations again. We've got the 12th worst traffic congestion in the nation and one of the highest drunk driver fatalities rates in the U.S. and the City Council is worried about me causing an accident? Go figure.

Any regulations the Austin City Council passes won't impact any of the surrounding incorporated towns and cities which have passed ordinances in support of Uber or Lyft. You can still pick up in those towns and drop off in San Antonio, for example.

If Uber pulls out of Austin like they did in SA, Austin will be the laughing stock of the entire tech world. There will probably be jokes about it on late night TV, blaming the City Council for killing students due to negligence. LoL!
"City Councilman Ron Nirenberg said Uber was backed into "quite a defensive stance" as a result of previous negotiations, which resulted in an ordinance that drove the company out of San Antonio."

http://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...en-to-new-talks-about-return-trip-to-san.html

·
Registered
4,460 Posts

Dear lord do you realize life existed before Uber? Good grief, if they leave, something else pops up or they adapt like they have in many other cities.

·
Banned
276 Posts
Dear lord do you realize life existed before Uber? Good grief, if they leave, something else pops up or they adapt like they have in many other cities.
You may think life existed before Uber but I can assure you that it's trans formative. I, for example, have taken 3-4 cabs in 2 years or so. I just don't like them and so avoid the expense and experience if I can. Pretty sure this is a common opinion in Austin. But Uber is so available and efficient and cost effective that I have taken 3-4 this year so far. TNCs are a game changer and that's why I want them (Uber) to stop ****ing around and create a business model that is fair and sustainable for all parties. And no....if Uber/Lyft leaves there will be nothing else that pops up and takes their place. That's just nonsense.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
You may think life existed before Uber but I can assure you that it's trans formative. I, for example, have taken 3-4 cabs in 2 years or so. I just don't like them and so avoid the expense and experience if I can. Pretty sure this is a common opinion in Austin. But Uber is so available and efficient and cost effective that I have taken 3-4 this year so far. TNCs are a game changer and that's why I want them (Uber) to stop ****ing around and create a business model that is fair and sustainable for all parties. And no....if Uber/Lyft leaves there will be nothing else that pops up and takes their place. That's just nonsense.
Let me just disagree with your final point. It may appear as though nothing would come in to fill the void should the 800 pound gorilla ever falter, but I don't think so. Uber is so mammoth, so dominant, so, we'll...uber, that there are virtually no real challengers at this point. Should they fold, I think it's a total crap shoot as to what or who comes next. But something will emerge. And I seriously doubt that that something will look and act like UBER.

·
Banned
276 Posts
Let me just disagree with your final point. It may appear as though nothing would come in to fill the void should the 800 pound gorilla ever falter, but I don't think so. Uber is so mammoth, so dominant, so, we'll...uber, that there are virtually no real challengers at this point. Should they fold, I think it's a total crap shoot as to what or who comes next. But something will emerge. And I seriously doubt that that something will look and act like UBER.
It's silly to even discuss Uber "folding". Come on. Also, what I was referring to was Uber leaving Austin out of protest.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It's game-changer alright - time to just say no to the elite 1%.

It's all about the new middle class anarchy. Some law-abiding middle-class citizens are deciding that playing by the rules is nothing but a sucker's game set up for the benefit of vested interests with a stacked deck. The people want their Uber and they will get it one way or another. There is going to be a rebellion if the millennials don't get what they want.

·
Banned
276 Posts
So, Uber thinks one dollar per ride is too much,

How about 1.5% of fare, 300 dllrs per driver and 100 dllrs per vehicle.

This is apparently what Uber agreed to pay to operate in Mexico City.
When you are 30-40% cheaper than cabs they shouldn't be *****ing about $1 fees if it makes all the other drama go away. As long as it's being passed on to the customer of course and not coming out of the driver's pockets. But then Uber might only be 25% cheaper than cabs and better in pretty much every way. Oh The Horror.....The Horror!!!!! :-(

In other words...Uber are greedy, shortsighted, childish idiots.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Yes, I doubt a company would intentionally act like Uber. Anyone watching knows what the churn rate is. That said, there are countless transportation companies all over, with the insurance and expertise. Let them hire ICs, and the game will change. You don't think Ztrips won't fill a huge void? They have strong staying power, and already have their TNC app complete. He's no dummy. And they have a lot of cash behind them. LimoAnywhere just released their pax app which can enable thousands of companies to compete.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
TNCs are a game changer and that's why I want them (Uber) to stop ****ing around and create a business model that is fair and sustainable for all parties.
Tell ya what, chief. Why don't you "want" into one hand and crap in the other hand and let me know which one fills up first.

Uber will never be fair or sustainable. Hell, they might not even exist in two years.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.