Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've been driving for 3 months now and it's obvious that you cannot turn a true profit at 68/75 cents/mile on uberx. There is just no way, your operating and maintenance costs will catch up to you eventually.

The only way to make good money driving uberx is to get surge rates of 1.6x and higher. Uber is based on supply and demand. So drivers, TURN OFF YOUR APP IN AREAS KNOWN TO SURGE! The less drivers Uber thinks is in an area, the more likely it will surge. Once the surge hits, go online and get a fare worth driving for.

All you drivers riding around for .75/mile will be happier getting 1.25-$3/ mile for the same rides...

I try my best not to do uberx rides unless it's a surge. Any non-surge rides I do accept get a 1-3star rating if they do not tip, a 4 star if they are really nice people that don't tip. 5 stars are only reserved for riders that tip. I also give my Lyft promo code to as many uber passengers as I can, make an extra 30-50 a week.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
This is a great idea in theory but turn on the rider app and take a look. How many cars do you see in just one area? There are too many drivers and no one knows anything about what the others are doing. How are you supposed to create a synchronized shutting off of apps in this scenario?

Also this would create a surge for about two seconds, as all the drivers turn their apps back on at the same time and the "supply" skyrockets.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my point is this should be the normal practice of drivers to keep surges in place more often. Sure Atlanta has surged, but with rates this low Atlanta should stay on a surge constantly. If u want to drive for 75cents a mile be my guest. I would bet your car and time are worth more than that. Too many drivers sitting around ready to drive for peanuts.

As far as ratings, it's my discretion to rate as I choose. A rider that tips is an excellent passenger. If a passenger is a lunatic, they should be a 1 not a 3.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
my point is this should be the normal practice of drivers to keep surges in place more often. Sure Atlanta has surged, but with rates this low Atlanta should stay on a surge constantly. If u want to drive for 75cents a mile be my guest. I would bet your car and time are worth more than that. Too many drivers sitting around ready to drive for peanuts.

As far as ratings, it's my discretion to rate as I choose. A rider that tips is an excellent passenger. If a passenger is a lunatic, they should be a 1 not a 3.
Yeah but it is not the NORMAL practice of most drivers in Atlanta and therein lies the problem. How are you going to get the thousands of drivers in ATL to get this message? And how are they going to know exactly when everyone else will log out of the app? No one is going to want to be the first. It will never work.

Also, if you didn't read the thread by UberOperationsManager , then you should. She explains a bit more about how surges work and also what causes Uber to increase or decrease their driver workforce. A constant surge to Uber is not a good thing and will be corrected as quickly as possible wit the influx of new drivers. Read the thread, it has a lot of good info.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Surges have decreased in Atlanta during the day and especially rush hour. Can we try this again??
If everyone would look at the riders app it could be possible!

I won't tell you how many times I have wanted to scream at the one car keeping an area from surging. It will say "no Uber X Available" almost the entire area and then one car will pop up in the middle of the area and keep the surge from happening.

I always laugh at those drivers that will sit in 5 o'clock traffic for regular pay. The only time it is worth sitting in traffic is when it is a sizable surge.

Everyone NEEDS to be aware of the other cars within the surge area you are driving in. Simply taking a quick look at the rider app could show you that you are that one car keeping the area from surging. I just wish everyone already knew this and worked to increase the surge. It is hard to orchestrate when we can't communicate with each other directly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know I'm super late but this works. The problem is Atlanta drivers are too simple minded to coordinate. Drivers in Miami do this every weekend all weekend long. Riders from DC were complaining that drivers at the airport would log off their app forcing a surge then pop up. And for anyone thinking that the surge disappears as soon as the supply increases you're wrong. There's a delay of more than five minutes. Even when the area becomes saturated with drivers it takes some time for the decrease in surge to happen. That's why you see surge zones decreasing gradually while trying to drive towards it. Right this second there's 140 cars at the airport. If 60 to 70% of them suddenly logged off it would surge at least 1.6. If all the drivers did this, they would basically be taking turns collecting surge rides. Uber wants to play us against each other, because competition keeps prices low and riders clicking without hesitation. But there are far more riders than drivers on any given day. There's no need to compete. Take your butts to Brookhaven, or Lenox, or midtown, or little 11pm and 4am on a Saturday night at its already surging 2 and up. Turn off your app and it'll surge 3.0 and up. Then you'll have ridiculously drunk people trying to get a ride not caring how much it costs.

I never drive unless its surging. When it snowed and other drivers were too fearful to take to the road I made 150 in under 3hrs on the south side of Atlanta in one of the slowest places for uber. A 150 dollar with 3hrs of work payout is 100% obtainable every single day, by every single driver if everyone would simply cooperate. San Diego, DC, Miami, Dallas... All of these places have had complaints from riders that drivers were manipulating surges. And uber has done nothing to stop it. If they can do it Atlanta can do it. Shit ain't rocker science just know the rules of the game and you can move the game in your favor. Shit ain't hard if you ain't ignorant.

·
Registered
106 Posts
All this sounds a little far fetched to me. Manipulating surges? Uber is what it is. If they thought charging more was the way to go they would be doing it by now. They have competition and want to keep their base of customers. Remember, they lost a few billion last year and it looks like they will again this year. They still have investors so why would they want to bump up surge pricing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yeah its hilarious that people think "the machine" is this simple. Like others have said they can manipulate as well.
It is this simple. That's why its working in other places.

All this sounds a little far fetched to me. Manipulating surges? Uber is what it is. If they thought charging more was the way to go they would be doing it by now. They have competition and want to keep their base of customers. Remember, they lost a few billion last year and it looks like they will again this year. They still have investors so why would they want to bump up surge pricing.
Go research the recent complaints about drivers manipulating surges. This isn't new news nor is it a myth. Its been going on since early 2017.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It is this simple. That's why its working in other places.

Go research the recent complaints about drivers manipulating surges. This isn't new news nor is it a myth. Its been going on since early 2017.
Uber officials can manipulate the surge also. I am not saying it can't work or doesn't work. If it's something they allow then they must be okay with it. Thats what "surge" is anyway.

People in cities, have grown accustomed to cheap rides whenever they want. The ones doing the most *****ing, proably don't own a car.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Unless you want to pay for huge billboards that say "IF YOU'RE HERE TURN OFF YOUR APP TILL IT SURGES!" and put those all over the city, you're blowing smoke.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You and 5 other people.. on this forum might can do that. Your better option, and I'm not condoning this, is to actively go out and shoot other Uber drivers to increase surge. That is more effective than posting on this forum. Again, you shouldn't shoot other Uber drivers (or mostly anyone for that matter,) but it would be much much much.. much more effective than posting driving-boycott threads on here.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Ok so I've been driving for 3 months now and it's obvious that you cannot turn a true profit at 68/75 cents/mile on uberx. There is just no way, your operating and maintenance costs will catch up to you eventually.

The only way to make good money driving uberx is to get surge rates of 1.6x and higher. Uber is based on supply and demand. So drivers, TURN OFF YOUR APP IN AREAS KNOWN TO SURGE! The less drivers Uber thinks is in an area, the more likely it will surge. Once the surge hits, go online and get a fare worth driving for.

All you drivers riding around for .75/mile will be happier getting 1.25-$3/ mile for the same rides...

I try my best not to do uberx rides unless it's a surge. Any non-surge rides I do accept get a 1-3star rating if they do not tip, a 4 star if they are really nice people that don't tip. 5 stars are only reserved for riders that tip. I also give my Lyft promo code to as many uber passengers as I can, make an extra 30-50 a week.
I concur that the most efficient way to drive that would be most economical for the driver is through surges. Thats a given. Manipulating the surges is a bit tricky but not impossible, matter of fact it is very possible.. It just takes team work where every driver is in sync and committed to the mission. It would take building a phone list of drivers . That is easy if drivers are committed. One way will be to create a whatsapp group with all drivers. Assign 2 or three full time drivers to coordinate the group activity as far as where drivers should locate and times to switch off. All this can be done through whatsapp group chats. My main concern would be how many drivers would benefit from such an arrangement. It would have to be at least 70% for there to be repetitive commitment to such an arrangement otherwise it will fall apart . Last thing we would want would be similar to sitting in rideshare for 1 hour then get pinged for a 2 mile ride and no rematch!! Worth a try ....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts