Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I was apprehended by the police for having a bench warrant for an unpaid ticket while carrying a fare. The riders were never in any danger and I stopped the fare as soon as I was pulled over. Uber subsequently suspended me. I've been advised by Uber customer service that they are doing another background check on me, nothing new or unusual should show up. Has anybody been through this or anything like this? How long did it take? What was the outcome?

·
25,038 Posts
Ah, yes, more proof that the Private Background Check is just as good as the Law Enforcement Background Check.

The bench warrant did not show up on your initial Uber background check.

It should take at least as long as your initial background check. Still, I do not know if Uber will re-instate you. There are a number of posters to these Boards who have complained about de-activation or rejection due to past traffic summonses; paid or unpaid. If nothing else, you will have to clear that bench warrant and unpaid traffic summons. On the driving records here, if you have a suspension or pending suspension for unpaid traffic summonses, it shows on your driving record. Any bench warrants for the traffic summonses will show a mention. If you have discharged the summons and bench warrant, it will read "Release: CLEARED". I do not know about your jurisdiction, though.

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
Recently, I was apprehended by the police for having a bench warrant for an unpaid ticket while carrying a fare. The riders were never in any danger and I stopped the fare as soon as I was pulled over. Uber subsequently suspended me. I've been advised by Uber customer service that they are doing another background check on me, nothing new or unusual should show up. Has anybody been through this or anything like this? How long did it take? What was the outcome?
Was your bench warrant for a driving violation?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was driving without insurance years ago. I settled the ticket itself but then got a driver's responsibility fee of an additional $1000. I arranged to pay it but forgot I had a payment left. Bench warrant. A six year bench warrant.

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
I was driving without insurance years ago. I settled the ticket itself but then got a driver's responsibility fee of an additional $1000. I arranged to pay it but forgot I had a payment left. Bench warrant. A six year bench warrant.
I don't know about your state, but in AZ if you forfeit payment for a driving violation then your driver's license becomes suspended. When they picked you up on the bench warrent did they cite you for driving on a suspended?

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
$1000 is not something most people would "forget" they owed. Sounds like you may have been making payments on the total amount, but considering that it was associated with your license to drive it's not likely something you would simply "forget" about.

·
Premium Member
7,035 Posts
If I was riding in an Uber and the driver got pulled over and arrested I'd contact Uber and demand that the driver be deactivated.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
How the hell do you forget to pay a fine? Uber should deactivate you, you sound like a repeat scofflaw.
It's well known that people who owe money are more likely to be violent, rapists, murderers or wear stripes with plaid.
I went to purchase temp plates yesterday and after waiting the clerk calls me up and says "Your license is under suspension for driving violations or other crimes" It was meant as a question, but she skipped the words or voice inflection that would serve as a cue so for an instant, I'm thinking: "My God, what did I do? Is an officer coming to arrest me?"

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
Your Uber days are done. It would be an embarrassment to all drivers if you are allowed back.
I did not know the status of being an Uber driver was so famed. I can't imagine the rigorous training, in depth background check and mental pressure of becoming an Uber driver was comparable to SEAL training. Maybe I should turn in my SEAL pin for an Uber t-shirt. I think that's a little harsh with the embarrassment factor. It's a non violent, non driving violation bench warrent.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I did not know the status of being an Uber driver was so famed. I can't imagine the rigorous training, in depth background check and mental pressure of becoming an Uber driver was comparable to SEAL training. Maybe I should turn in my SEAL pin for an Uber t-shirt. I think that's a little harsh with the embarrassment factor. It's a non violent, non driving violation bench warrent.
LMAO, we are being sarcastic. With such lousy pay, I'm sure many drivers have debt problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not explaining this right, but it's okay. The money was paid but a $100. I forgot because that week I had a medical issue and thought my wife had paid, she thought I'd paid. After that I lived in my car for a year and had bigger fish to fry like food and didn't have an address. But I guess I deserve this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts