Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
821 Posts
I would just go ahead and avoid all areas of Newark and any other high crime city. In fact, there were a few times I got to the location (a few notable areas in Union City/Jersey City) after a ping, decided it wasnt a safe area, cancelled and left. Basically, follow your gut instinct. If the place looks bad it probably is.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Newark area's clients are way nicer than Hobokens. Prove of it I live in Newark Area, i ve been ubering since March and i have a solid 4.9 overall rating...I mostly uber just out of the airport or Newark Penn station but i dont mind picking up from anywhere in Newark when its slow as long as the passenger is having a good ratings (4.7 to 4.9)

a 5 stars ratings is a tricky one : he can be a new client and you can expect any sort of behavior from him, or a client who messed up his ratings and figured out he needs a new uber profile or just someone with many phone numbers and $20 off coupons. YES he can be also an excellent uber client who give tips but thats rare lol

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've done Newark at all hours, just working class citizens in rough neighborhoods.
I have never had issues in Newark.

I have had issues with women in harrison, snobs in Downtown JC, privileged pricks in Hoboken
Drunks in Bloomfield to Cedar Grove, and all these places made my ratings dip.

I rather drive in Newark than some of those other towns.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've done Newark at all hours, just working class citizens in rough neighborhoods.
I have never had issues in Newark.

I have had issues with women in harrison, snobs in Downtown JC, privileged pricks in Hoboken
Drunks in Bloomfield to Cedar Grove, and all these places made my ratings dip.

I rather drive in Newark than some of those other towns.
I've heard that also....but as a female I don't feel safe driving at night in newark

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Honestly there is one place I will TURN OFF. and it's Paterson. No way in hell am I going into Paterson.

Downtown Newark has a lot of Fortune 500 businesses. Paterson has heroin.
What's interesting is that according to city-data.com, crime rates are actually worse in Newark than they are in Paterson. Murder rates are at least 4x higher per 100,000 residents compared to Paterson. Still, I turn off the app when I'm in Paterson. Did a drop off there from Rutgers New Brunswick at 2:30 am last night and still saw a lot of hoodlums hanging around the street corners.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Never had a problem picking up in Newark in some areas you have to stay on your toes. People are nice and friendly and will help with directions if you have a problem, not talking about the college crowd. Sometimes I don't except jobs if I'm dropping off a Penn St. and the next ping is 15 minutes away. Also I've done Paterson and Passaic another area to be on your toes. Last two times I picked up on Rosa Parks Blvd people were shot and killed later at night. No different then be in the Grenville section of Jersey City my home field advantage. You could be in the safest area and things can go wrong just be safe and alert. Damn deer a kill you in Bergen County

·
Registered
579 Posts
Honestly there is one place I will TURN OFF. and it's Paterson. No way in hell am I going into Paterson.

Downtown Newark has a lot of Fortune 500 businesses. Paterson has heroin.
Avoid Paterson, Irvington, and Camden like a Plague, your life is worth more than anything else..

Reactions: gmc

·
Registered
579 Posts
I was in Paterson in the afternoon and I was like "daum it looks like the 80's Bronx Fort Apache" LOL
afternoon while daylight no bad, one the sun goes down.. i'm out like faster than 88 mph..

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
I don't pick up in Newark anywhere besides Penn Station or the airport after dark. Same with Camden, I don't pick up there except after concerts or at Campbell's headquarters at 5pm (75% of those rides pay my toll into Philly)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Newark can be a goldmine when the weather is bad. Sure it has some really rough parts but overall it's not as bad as most people think. As long as it's daytime and/or shifty weather it's a good place to catch decent fairs. But during the evening when the weather is warm? Forget it - nothing there but trouble

·
Registered
484 Posts
Newark can be a goldmine when the weather is bad. Sure it has some really rough parts but overall it's not as bad as most people think. As long as it's daytime and/or shifty weather it's a good place to catch decent fairs. But during the evening when the weather is warm? Forget it - nothing there but trouble
Take newark with a grain of salt
I've picked several time in Newark and drive off into JC, Hoboken, Edison, Cranford, Westfield, Hackensack , NY, it's just how it goes you never know where you going to end up but I also have pick up in penn station and taken trips into north newark and hillside at 1 am for most drivers they would not do that but if you know the city streets like I do where to go in case of a problem , you need to move fast if you have to go through red liht you do what you have to do who cares
One simple rule is keep your eyes open all the time do play with your phone in that area don't even let them see your phone light shine inside of your car drive slow even if it's a green light for you
Slow down on every intersection you never know when someone is going to run. Light or a stolen car will come racing towards you. Yes that how it is in Newark don't matter if it's daytime on nighttime
Make sure you always can keep an eye out on your pax
I carry pepper spray with me all the time just in case
And with some rides I actually haded in my hand ready to use it
Never got to that point but you never know
Never drop off by a group of people in th corner keep your distance and always keep it in drive ready to take off

1 - 20 of 27 Posts