Uber Drivers Forum banner

Do you have the Canadian CONTACT TRACING APP Installed On Your Phone?

• Yes

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • I want to, but my Technology/Device is too OLD to run it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's been about 2 weeks since the gov'ts contact tracing app has launched for use by the wide public. Estimates put things around 5% uptake Country wide, however the App only actually works in Ontario at the moment, so the update might be higher if the bulk of downloads are only in the region where the APP actually functions. Nobody knows.

The POLL here is to get a sense of Drivers (and former drivers) willingness to upload and use the COVID-19 APP.

Discuss the details and your concerns however you like below, but please fill in the POLL with a simple yes or no.

*Update: Due to the App not working on some older devices, I added a third option.

·
Premium Member
8,799 Posts
It's been about 2 weeks since the gov'ts contact tracing app has launched for use by the wide public. Estimates put things around 5% uptake Country wide, however the App only actually works in Ontario at the moment, so the update might be higher if the bulk of downloads are only in the region where the APP actually functions. Nobody knows.

The POLL here is to get a sense of Drivers (and former drivers) willingness to upload and use the COVID-19 APP.

Discuss the details and your concerns however you like below, but please fill in the POLL with a simple yes or no.

*Update: Due to the App not working on some older devices, I added a third option.
I have it installed. BUT the damn app require the bluetooth to be on, so its a considerable drain on the battery. Thus, I have turned it off, unless I plan to go to a mall or resto where there are a lot of people.

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
They are talking about this on the radio and they are like it would be great in the work place. WHAT?
Are you kidding me? Why the **** is the person who tested positive at work for the app to tell you you've come into contact with them. And why the **** are they outside. ***** stay in your house!

I think the government should give the positive test to the cops with a picture of you and your license plate number. If they see you hotel jail you go that you pay for.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
I have it installed. BUT the damn app require the bluetooth to be on, so its a considerable drain on the battery. Thus, I have turned it off, unless I plan to go to a mall or resto where there are a lot of people.
New IOS versions have a low power Bluetooth feature so your battery doesn't get drained so quickly.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I don't find the COVID-19 App hard on the battery. At least not noticeable in everyday use.

The LYFT/UBER apps on the other hand, murder my battery.
The Uber app in particular is bad. Between the uber app and a relatively old phone battery I go from 100 per cent battery to around 75-80 per cent battery in a 6 or 7 hour shift with the phone PLUGGED IN to the USB port in the car

·
Premium Member
16,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Uber app in particular is bad. Between the uber app and a relatively old phone battery I go from 100 per cent battery to around 75-80 per cent battery in a 6 or 7 hour shift with the phone PLUGGED IN to the USB port in the car
I've experienced this as well. When the charger cannot keep up. The phone heats up like a *****, too.

·
Premium Member
18,398 Posts
I had that problem with old note 2... was keeping extra batteries and swap em... No issues with note 5... also now I have better power inverter and cabling in the car, so that might help too.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I've experienced this as well. When the charger cannot keep up. The phone heats up like a @@@@@, too.
What kind of chargers are you guys using in your cars? I haven't had this issue since like 2017. Make sure you're using at least a 2 amp USB outlet AND a really good quality cable. The latter can often be determined by the thickness of the cable. Many of the Chinese-made USB cables out there are not designed to support fast charging and people are not aware of this. You need a fat pipe for all that current to flow through.

·
Premium Member
16,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of chargers are you guys using in your cars? I haven't had this issue since like 2017. Make sure you're using at least a 2 amp USB outlet AND a really good quality cable. The latter can often be determined by the thickness of the cable. Many of the Chinese-made USB cables out there are not designed to support fast charging and people are not aware of this. You need a fat pipe for all that current to flow through.
I use the one that came from apple with my phone. I have a regular USB port in the vehicle, to the best of my knowledge it is not a higher amp 'fast charge' version.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I use the one that came from apple with my phone. I have a regular USB port in the vehicle, to the best of my knowledge it is not a higher amp 'fast charge' version.
Ah. Well you could do something about that, fast car chargers are like 20 bucks :)

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Ryan would a newer car model be more likely to have a 2 amp USB outlet? I'm moving from a 2013 to a 2017 in a few weeks and I'll hold off on doing end arounds until that happens?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts