Uber Drivers Forum banner

Are you renewing your vehicle TNC sticker?

• Yes

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Waiting for rates to go up

Votes: 4 25.0%

Are you renewing your vehicle TNC sticker?

5K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  darkshy77 
#1 ·
You have a week left before your illegal. What have you decided?

#2 ·
I've cut back my operation a ton this summer, since the typical cycle of college-kid-drivers signing up while out of school kicked in. I'm hoping there will be a mass deactivation on 8/1-8/5. My regular job has been good enough lately to help with the $$$ (and my wife not spending as much), so I haven't needed this bandaid.

Since it's free, I'll go renew this year as a just in case.

#4 ·
That is a personal decision. Each situation is different with the vehicle being a big influence on profitability. At 87 cents a mile for this area, it is not very competitive with any part time job paying minimum wage. I know a lot of people speak of the freedom to work your own choice of hours, but I think of it as the freedom to work for less than minimum wage while depreciating and destroying my car for an entitled non-appreciative company.

#8 ·
I'm not renewing either of my vehicles. If I drive, I won't pick up in Houston but more than likely, I'm done. The last few times that I have been out the wait for rides was too long, the distance to pick up was too far and the trips were too short. I can't justify driving under the current conditions and it appears that things will get worse before they get better.

#20 ·
Uber is going to use this "DATA" and try to spin it off on the city.

"We had to deactivate 40% of our drivers because the Houston permitting process is too burdensome".

In reality, drivers left because Uber has not raised their rates back up, as promised and lower fares means more pissed off drivers, not more riders.

So, I don't blame anybody for renewing their sticker, even if the only reason is "just in case". Don't let Uber tell your story to the city of why you quit.

It's also very likely Uber will "forget" to mass deactivate. The city will probably have to give them an ultimatum like in the times past. Hopefully, Turner has the balls to shut down Uber for not complying with the city. Parker was too nice. (which was good since we did not have a back up plan). Now, We have Get Me already in place, and we don't have to count on Get Me (although they will fill the void in the beginning like Austin) but other rideshare companies, like Austin will set up shop pretty quickly, like Fare and Fasten. Before, we had nothing.

#26 ·
Nah, I'm not. I'm onboarded with getme and have been for a while...like 20 locations ago "a while". Almost a go with Lyft and in the wings for Fare. I do airport runs on side and the permit lends an air of legitimacy, even if spurious, to them. After what Uber did in Austin and what I've witnessed and experienced first hand, driving for Uber would make me feel cheap and skeezy. I won't even take one. At another level is my disdain for Travis K. I refuse to engage in any activity or event that puts my money in his pockets. So, no, not reactivated, and not sorry.

Are you driving for Lyft and fare in Austin? Wingz Austin may get you activated faster. Houston, they don't have enough business to justify bringing on drivers, so there has not been an orientation in months (as far as I know, they told me I would be informed of the next orientation)

#27 ·
They don't know their market well. They have plenty of business. When I travel for business, I would use them over Uber in a heartbeat - haven't traveled for months (since finding they exist), but will be attempting to book next go round. Need a guaranteed ride early in the morning, and that's not always the case where I live. That's my number 1 request from pax in my area...is if possible to schedule pickup. Id have clientele a mile long in no time if they would complete my onboarding. Has been crickets for months. It's senseless. You already have fully TNC'd drivers. Just get them in the system. Just another Getme and Fare. Big talk, not much to show.

Speaking of GetMe...I wouldn't hold out on them much longer to get better, or survive. Heard a few people that state they don't get paid on time, and they just got another small investor to keep them floating for a short time.

#32 ·
I went down for my renewal today and when I got to the first guy who was checking for compliance before we got to the sticker line, it was discovered that my fire bottle was EMPTY!!! How the heck does that happen when it's been secured to the floor board? Then I remember my kids talking about making snow outside. UGH!

#35 ·
Agreed... I've never had an issue with them. The rules are pretty well published, minus the tax rendition fiasco, but I blame HCAD more than ARA for that. I'm glad they moved to that under-bridge satellite lot now instead of the gymnastics on the street outside the office.

#36 ·
I made a final decision. I am not getting another sticker. I already removed the old one and moving on forward.
My last "one" trip was just over 2 months ago. Had to drop a woman off at the SW Hilton off 59. (For some of us it was the first office we went to for Uber.) I got 5 stars but the amount of money for a trip from League City to that location was not good. I got $28 after the cut. It was a $39 charge. I did stay online drove back and got zero pings; wasn't to late either.

For some people this is all they have. For someone like me I have a fulltime job and make ok money now. Better then Uber provided. But I just can't wrap my head around to be a part time driver. Especially after what I found in my car.
Mystery burn hole in my ceiling but no one smoked in my car. Still baffles me! But what reminds me how pax treat your vehicle badly is the key marks on my window tint. Everytime I look out my back passenger side window and see that key mark on my tint. Yeah it just says how much Uber fuxs people and the pax don't give a shitz. I really didn't have many issues with over 1k trips. I maintained as of today a 4.89 rating. Never gave out candy nor water. But did give out gum if I had it. I did have a usb cord for Iphone and Android I could use with my Sprint car charger since it allows 2 usb plug ins.

The thing I will miss most is laughing with some of these pax. And my 3 regulars in CL. I remember last June CL barely knew what a Uber was. I know I started giving out cards back then. 2k cards and a year later seems like most know.

I thought of being that rouge "outside beltway 8 driver" since I live way down here. But think I will let them deactivate me all together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.