Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the ones comfortable enough with sharing what's the most you made in a day/week? Are you a morning or night driver? How often are you offered tips? Have you ever worked the after club crowds, what is it like?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I drive weekday mornings, I make $10-15/hour. Weekend nights $20+. A few Saturday nights ago (no events) I drove 9+ hours and made $240 in fares + $30 tips. Tipping is very rare, maybe 10% of all rides, better on weekend night and almost non-existent weekdays. I would say however, overall, tips add about 10% to earnings. Not unusual to get a $5 tip on a $5 ride.

I made over $400 last week on 28 hours logged in, not including tips. Gas is cheap, I get 25+ mpg, and my car is at 162k miles and long ago paid for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I truly appreciate your response
I'm only able to drive mornings as I work full-time overnights. So I'm unable to drive weekend nights which I would like to give a try. Tonight I was going to drive later on tonight just for a different shift since I'm off. This week I made $210 in 17 hrs from driving morning and was tipped $15 this week( I believe). Last week I made waaaaay more tips seem like once one person starts tipping, tips just keep rolling in.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Driving for regular rates will eat your profits and waste your time. Be picky, go online when the price is right. Sometimes it's difficult to sit idle and feel like you're wasting time, but really you're wasting it when you're driving all over the place for pennies. And don't drive into a surge zone, all you'll do is pop it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lando - can you elaborate on your earnings 6/4/16? You've illustrated an average fare ( before surge) of $24/trip. Where were you driving? Did you haul somebody to Chicago?

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Lando - can you elaborate on your earnings 6/4/16? You've illustrated an average fare ( before surge) of $24/trip. Where were you driving? Did you haul somebody to Chicago?
I was all over the place that night. Lots of weddings going on, moving from hotel to reception, reception to bars. Had two UberX surge fares upgraded to XL, one was 3.6x, the other was 7.3x (they still say UberX on the summary). Some small ones, too. I stick to my guns and take only surge or XL fares. The exception is a few neighbors who text when they want rides, so dead miles for them are minimal.

image.png

image.png

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Damn. I can't wait until I know where to be and what time.
I've been driving since 9/14, so that helps. But the key thing is that the strategy is always evolving. There's hourly, daily, weekly and seasonal patterns to the flow of riders. Give it time, don't give up and eventually it'll just come naturally. Some days & weeks just suck and there's nothing you can do about it. Focus on weekly and monthly earnings rather than each individual trip, pay extremely close attention to costs and it'll all work out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been driving since 9/14, so that helps. But the key thing is that the strategy is always evolving. There's hourly, daily, weekly and seasonal patterns to the flow of riders. Give it time, don't give up and eventually it'll just come naturally. Some days & weeks just suck and there's nothing you can do about it. Focus on weekly and monthly earnings rather than each individual trip, pay extremely close attention to costs and it'll all work out.
How long do you generally sit and wait for a ride? Do you have a time limit and then start driving around after that? Do you usually just sit in specific areas? I'm curious because it seems like no matter how many rides I pass on, I never get surge requests. There have been a couple instances of sitting and waiting for 1-2 hours and not getting a single surge request. I'm curious what kind of tips you have for hot spots and times to be looking for them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I work a full time job so usually only have time to Uber on weekend nights. I generally come away with $150-$200 over the course of 9p-3a Friday and Saturday. Garth brooks I made $700 including tips. Tipping is rare and spotty 10% is probably about right. Wish Uber would just let people tip. I don't get it at all. The code is there for Uber taxi. It would piss off less drivers. my main frustration are guarantees when demand isn't there (Thursday) and uber gets out of paying by the TPH requirement. How about just eat if if you guess on demand is wrong or do a better job in predicting it. You have all this data. Put it to use.

Rant over :)

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
How long do you generally sit and wait for a ride? Do you have a time limit and then start driving around after that? Do you usually just sit in specific areas? I'm curious because it seems like no matter how many rides I pass on, I never get surge requests. There have been a couple instances of sitting and waiting for 1-2 hours and not getting a single surge request. I'm curious what kind of tips you have for hot spots and times to be looking for them.
I never roam, all it does is waste gas. Park and turn the car off, otherwise you're eliminating your own profit. It's all geographically based anyway so you may be driving toward a ping but you might be driving away from one, too. Unless you have a Prius - then drive as much as you want.

Knowing when not to work is just as important as knowing when to work. If you see too many drivers on for the day and time, and there's nothing going on to spur demand, you're probably better off taking a few hours or the whole night off. Even if you make some peanuts, it won't be worth the time or spent gas and will just make you feel depressed.

As for where to work, learn the flow patterns of passengers. This fluctuates by day of the week, hour of the day, and external factors like events and holidays. I don't reveal where I sit because if everyone knew where the good spots were they'd cease being good spots.

My general rule of thumb: sit where you stand the greatest have of getting the longest fare possible. Find a spot that is right on the line of two surge zones. If the other side surges you won't pop it by being in the zone. Be aware that some places might be good spots for weeks or months but might go cold.

Have a good memory - remember riders who take long rides as well as those who always go 5 blocks. Be picky. Some venues are good for long fares, some venues are consistent for short fares.

As for how long I sit, I have a lot of patience. But if I sit for an hour offline and wait for a 2.5x, it's worth it. That one fare is worth 2 1/2 regular rate rides - how long would it have taken to get the same money and how much gas would I have wasted for the same revenue? When I started the rate was $1.60/mi, now it's 65¢. Uber may control the base price but I control the price at which I accept fares. For the month of May my average net billed mile was $1.49 from 174 trips. In April it was $1.54 from 280 trips. Could I have taken more trips? Sure. But the average billed mile would've been 95¢, so I would've made the same money for more work and higher expenses.

Hope some of that rant helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts