Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ecoregion Map Product Line Font

This company continues to exploit drivers on a daily basis. Here is another example of it here.

On top of the stupid text messages i receive daily from them trying to tell me how much a “average driver makes” during certain times.

They exploited the new “gas” increased earnings to us as a good margin, well we on average get .3 - .7 per delivery from it.

So i called about these things and continued to get hung up on from support less help people accross the world who could not answer questions i had AGAIN!

I am about done with Rideshare. Its no longer fun, or worth the risk and were and tear in my car anymore.

I fell bad for the full timers who put everything they had into it.

But the greedy companies will continue to exploit and mistreat you as a contractor under there payment methods.

Its flat out highway robbery by now, and they continue to get worse at it legally within there rights.

It is sad to depend on customer tips to make any sort of impactful income for doing the most dangerous thing people do on a daily basis. Which is driving safe.

Good luck everyone! Drive safe! 👍

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
i drive the same area as you - its not too bad - I do decline rides heading to the city yeah ive had to argue with the pax and explain why I am not driving them and have to cancel which led to me having a convo with uber - havnt had a ping to chicago since - I stay in lake county that sit .. so far so good (knowck on wood - Deliveries are hard to make much money on and ive always had to put in the time of 6-8 hours a day during morning and eveing rush to do well - thats the game if I ever get hijacked Ill clock out and work retail somewhere I have tracking in my car Ill get it back one way or another It sucks -= illinios politicnas suck. well .... hopefully people will wake up All the best

·
Premium Member
9,924 Posts
View attachment 658910

This company continues to exploit drivers on a daily basis. Here is another example of it here.

On top of the stupid text messages i receive daily from them trying to tell me how much a “average driver makes” during certain times.

They exploited the new “gas” increased earnings to us as a good margin, well we on average get .3 - .7 per delivery from it.

So i called about these things and continued to get hung up on from support less help people accross the world who could not answer questions i had AGAIN!

I am about done with Rideshare. Its no longer fun, or worth the risk and were and tear in my car anymore.

But the greedy companies will continue to exploit and mistreat you as a contractor under there payment methods.

Its flat out highway robbery by now, and they continue to get worse at it legally within there rights.

It is sad to depend on customer tips to make any sort of impactful income for doing the most dangerous thing people do on a daily basis. Which is driving safe.

I get .44 on every delivery no matter how long it is. I was in a surge in the city doing eats. Went home at 715 as the requests sucked. Either no money, going to the loop or going north of Wrigley as the cubs game was letting out. They sent me the same request 3 times over 45 minutes going to Clark and Racine, it was paying $15-18. Wouldn’t touch it what am I going to do double park on a street with cars lined up 1/2 mile in both directions. Nfw

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get .44 on every delivery no matter how long it is. I was in a surge in the city doing eats. Went home at 715 as the requests sucked. Either no money, going to the loop or going north of Wrigley as the cubs game was letting out. They sent me the same request 3 times over 45 minutes going to Clark and Racine, it was paying $15-18. Wouldn’t touch it what am I going to do double park on a street with cars lined up 1/2 mile in both directions. Nfw
Its gotta be different in the city then. But .44 is nothing compared to the enhanced gas tax fee people pay in the burbs then what the driver recieves. In the city i could understand the ahorters trios for that 44. But .3-.7 is nonsense considering the longer distances we drive for that tax increase. The companies are making about 1-3$ more from that tax now. It seems like.

I have a vehilce which at low is 29 mpg. .3-.7 is useless money when it comes to gas prices. For a 10 mile trip. Thats so stupid.

·
Premium Member
9,924 Posts
Its gotta be different in the city then. But .44 is nothing compared to the enhanced gas tax fee people pay in the burbs then what the driver recieves. In the city i could understand the ahorters trios for that 44. But .3-.7 is nonsense considering the longer distances we drive for that tax increase. The companies are making about 1-3$ more from that tax now. It seems like.

I have a vehilce which at low is 29 mpg. .3-.7 is useless money when it comes to gas prices. For a 10 mile trip. Thats so stupid.
You think what you’re getting sucks then look at this. He had an explorer

Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel Number

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Can anyone explain where or how these phatties come from? I've been doing this long enough to not have to explain that I missed it on the screen or the zone.

IT WASNT. ended trip as usually and a +18 is attached. HOW?
Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Parallel

·
Premium Member
9,924 Posts
Can anyone explain where or how these phatties come from? I've been doing this long enough to not have to explain that I missed it on the screen or the zone.

IT WASNT. ended trip as usually and a +18 is attached. HOW? View attachment 658929
I guess they are actually passing along what they charge even they don’t show a surge.

you only know how much extra lyft is chargingby looking at the rider app. Or Google maps will tell you the multiplier. Like this

Ecoregion Map Light Product World

·
Premium Member
9,924 Posts
The bonus was probably 5.00 or so. Ended ride and close to 19 bonus was paid.
Maybe they charged the passenger 50. Depends on where it was. At the end of the cubs game I looked at the apps near Wrigley and lyft had maybe $2 for the surge but a trip that usually cost $9 was $27. Maybe they just found some insight that drivers will do it if you actually pay them

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
That happens frequently when Uber is really sticking it to the customer/rider. I had a $15 surge promise coming out of the ORD queue, drove the pax downtown to the Hilton on S Michigan, and was paid about $49 for the trip with the surge ending up to be about $25. The pax was charged $97. After chicago taxes, Uber pocketed about $40.

There have been lots of complaints of pax to Uber and pax to local politicians and there was supposedly a meeting between city officials and Uber/Lyft earlier this month. Since then I've seen some strange things with surge, particularly at the airport. Specifically, there have been times when demand/supply usually will drive the published surge to $18, but it gets stuck around $6. If you take that $6 surge, and take the pax into the city, you'll end up getting significantly more. I was thinking they were showing one surge amount to the drivers in the airport queue and another to drivers farther away, but didn't know anyone to test this theory. The last few days it's seemed to return to the way it was before with the displayed ORD surge getting up to $18 at the usual times.

·
Read Only
4,718 Posts
View attachment 658910

What's this surge you talk about? Surge died with arrival of inflation and hungry ants slaving to Uber Quests.

·
Registered
3 Posts
View attachment 658910

I live n Tampa but I decline rides often with PRIDE...as I AM not here to Make Uber money but WE can make money together. If a rude don't pay me at least a dollar per mile then I dnt accept it PERIOD! Not worth my time and gas cuz u gotta drive 10 mons to pick them up 1st then 10 mins elsewhere while uber keeps 50%of trip...therefore I choose what rides I take.

·
Registered
159 Posts
the problem lies in the algorithm.

(minutes and miles)

there are two things at play here.

1 your labor in (minutes)
2 your vehicle (per mile)

so you need to get paid across both these metics.

let’s break these down across both theses two:

1) per mile- vehicle expenses (let’s just use the federal mileage rate) here @ ($.585) this covers your port to port vehicle expenses)
2 next let’s get paid for your minutes labor ($.65) per minute

so if you have a (10) mile ((20) minute gig it looks like this:

1 minutes =(20) X ($.65) =$13.00
2 miles (10) x ($.585) = $5.85
3 total gig fee = $18.85

·
Premium Member
4,242 Posts

(minutes and miles)

1) per mile- vehicle expenses (let’s just use the federal mileage rate) here @ ($.585) this covers your port to port vehicle expenses)

3 total gig fee = $18.85
Anyone whose vehicle depreciates + expenses at .585 is leaving 50% of their pay on the table. I have been doing this job for 5+ years and am on car #3. Depreciation + expense is .15 cent/mile. Gas is .10 cents/mile. Total expenses are .25 cents per mile. Pre-tax profit is .75 cents for every mile driven. I will not get out of bed for less than $1 per mile. Usually UberX pays $1.25 per mile and Eats $3/mile.

A 10 mile 20 minute gig usually pays $10 and I earn $9.38. Which is $28/hr. This is pretty accurate average trip. I have always averaged 3 trips per hour for last 5 years (for UberX). Tips the last year have helped a lot too.

Make sure your drive a beater-upper cheap car if you do UberX!!!!! People who say "this job is not worth it because it kills your car" are completely mis-informed. Buy used under $10k car, and save .15 /mile and you will have enough money for another car in 50,000 miles ( assuming your car trades in for 2k). Or take some of that money for oil changes and repairs, and buy a new car in 75,000 miles (which is what I have done for last two cars).

·
Premium Member
4,242 Posts
What I do for deliveries in Chicago is this one calculation and it has served me well for two years: Take the pay of the ping, and calculate the hourly rate. If it is not $30, I don't do the trip (Usually I am multiply by 2,3,4 as trips are usually 30 minutes, 20 minutes, or 15 minutes). Second, take the miles and multiply by 3. If I don't got at east $3 per mile, I don't do the trip. The only exception is if it is a fancy steakhouse or Italian restaurant, I will accept for less if there is chance for big tip. I ignore surge/boost,etc. Only care about the ping. Having said that, usually I notice that it takes 1.5 boost or $1.5 surge to see the pings I like. This usually happens at dinner time anyways. My acceptance rate is 25%. There are sometimes where I go 20 minutes without a good ping. However, usually this is made up at a different time where I get all good pings in a row. Over the course of the last two years, I do 3-4 eats trips per hour, and make $28+/hr. Of course, this is only between 5pm - 9pm weekdays, 4pm-10pm weekends.

·
Premium Member
9,924 Posts
What I do for deliveries in Chicago is this one calculation and it has served me well for two years: Take the pay of the ping, and calculate the hourly rate. If it is not $30, I don't do the trip (Usually I am multiply by 2,3,4 as trips are usually 30 minutes, 20 minutes, or 15 minutes). Second, take the miles and multiply by 3. If I don't got at east $3 per mile, I don't do the trip. The only exception is if it is a fancy steakhouse or Italian restaurant, I will accept for less if there is chance for big tip. I ignore surge/boost,etc. Only care about the ping. Having said that, usually I notice that it takes 1.5 boost or $1.5 surge to see the pings I like. This usually happens at dinner time anyways. My acceptance rate is 25%. There are sometimes where I go 20 minutes without a good ping. However, usually this is made up at a different time where I get all good pings in a row. Over the course of the last two years, I do 3-4 eats trips per hour, and make $28+/hr. Of course, this is only between 5pm - 9pm weekdays, 4pm-10pm weekends.
I chose my deliveries in a similar manner. If it’s dead I go home

·
Premium Member
9,924 Posts

(minutes and miles)

3 total gig fee = $18.85
Dude you’ve been spending days trying to determine if you can make what you need to drive. Stop trying to pull numbers out of thin air and telling people what is right and wrong when you don’t even understand how Ubers system works

1 - 18 of 18 Posts