Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I cancelled maybe a total of 4 rides since starting back on Friday

1. A switcheroo to a sus pax at a sus pickup location
  2. Long-ride attempt late at night (no thanks with this FlexScam mileage rate and while on a earnings guarantee bonus). Started ride then realized it was a 43 minute trip to a dead end location after midnight. Not interested in working for free. Got burnt a couple times on trips like this already.
  3. 5 pax trying to get on a regular Lyft. Didn't feel like arguing and didn't even want to bother trying to get cancel fee, just wanted to move on
  4. Right after I found out you could see the destination before starting the ride after hitting "Arrive", a 2-stop with 1st stop being a weed dispensary
Immediately after the 4th cancel (might have been 5), I get a text message from Lyft with a threat:

Smile Rectangle Organism Mammal Font

In the app:

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Circle

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are these threats serious at all, or just automated scare tactics that they never take action on?

For instance if I keep canceling after arriving, will they actually suspend/deactivate? Or do nothing?

·
Premium Member
2,953 Posts
What you saw was totally automated.

However, they will deactivate you over cancellations and for starting trips early.

But most everything Lyft says is passive-aggressive mind games designed to control the driver.

Unlike with Uber, you can call Lyft and explain why you did something and if your story is good they will remove it from your active record. Like the cancellation due to five people. That is totally a good story and Lyft would most likely remove it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Are you clicking PICK up before actually picking up??

Lyft server have problem.

They keep giving me Service Flag and claim that passenger MESSAGE me after I pick them up.
I told them I never do that.

They said It's ok...Service Flag means nothing....

But then if you read the app rule, it actually says Service Flag will cancel Driver's benefits ,,,,, so dumb

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Those are all good gripes. Especially #4. I think though that I have seen members report they got deactivated at some point. Also several reports that a driver was given a timeout of varying duration before the threat of permanent deactivation came true.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope. 2 times I cancelled after picking up. I forgot why the first time and the 2nd time was because of a long trip that I didn't want. This was before I found out you could view destination without "pickup".

BUT, the automated threat text was 100% related to the most recent cancel which was #4 listed, where I got ARRIVE, viewed destination WITHOUT "pickup", and cancelled. I'm wondering if maybe viewing destination and cancelling after arriving is treated the same as cancelling after pickup??

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also several reports that a driver was given a timeout of varying duration before the threat of permanent deactivation came true.
What's a timeout? Are we talking online but no pings in busy area, or unable to go online? How long....Hours, days, weeks?

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
timeout = can't go online for x number of hours/days. It varies.

·
Premium Member
62,289 Posts

2. Long-ride attempt late at night (no thanks with this FlexScam mileage rate and while on a earnings guarantee bonus). Started ride then realized it was a 43 minute trip to a dead end location after midnight. Not interested in working for free. Got burnt a couple times on trips like this already.
  3. 5 pax trying to get on a regular Lyft. Didn't feel like arguing and didn't even want to bother trying to get cancel fee, just wanted to move on
  4. Right after I found out you could see the destination before starting the ride after hitting "Arrive", a 2-stop with 1st stop being a weed dispensary
Immediately after the 4th cancel (might have been 5), I get a text message from Lyft with a threat:

View attachment 615172

In the app:

View attachment 615173
Real enough to make me QUIT driving for Uber & get a REAL JOB where that CRAP won't fly !

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
They will deactivate you if you keep canceling like that. Don’t accept the trips if you don’t want to go long distance. And don’t start it and then finish the trip, that’s not how to cancel. Used to be you can see the destination after you arrive, don’t really remember at this point on how but there was a way and then you could cancel for no show. Someone else here want to tell him how to see the destination before the ride starts on lyft?

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts

View attachment 615172

In the app:

View attachment 615173
You're cancelling too many rides as a brand new driver. 2 days, and you're already getting warnings about your cancellation rate.

Cancelling rides you've already started is something you should rarely have to do. You're doing it frequently, it appears.

Also, passenger feedback has nothing to do with your cancellations. The computer doesn't care about your feedback from completed-ride passengers, in relation to your cancelled rides-after-pickup.

Cancelled rides can't even rate you and/or provide feedback.

(Also, feedback is worthless metric, as you will get permanently deactivated --- eventually --- if you keep up this habit of cancelling-after-pickup.)

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
What you saw was totally automated.

However, they will deactivate you over cancellations and for starting trips early.

But most everything Lyft says is passive-aggressive mind games designed to control the driver.

Unlike with Uber, you can call Lyft and explain why you did something and if your story is good they will remove it from your active record. Like the cancellation due to five people. That is totally a good story and Lyft would most likely remove it.
Sure, however, they note it every time. And if one particular driver in a market of thousands of drivers is constantly calling them to say, "I cancelled because there were 5-pax," while none of the other drivers do it...guess what? Deactivation. Permanently.

·
Premium Member
2,953 Posts
Sure, however, they note it every time. And if one particular driver in a market of thousands of drivers is constantly calling them to say, "I cancelled because there were 5-pax," while none of the other drivers do it...guess what? Deactivation. Permanently.
True.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Honestly I only really remember doing this 2 times out of the total 4 or 5 times I cancelled.
Ya. You did it twice in your first weekend driving. That's not "rarely"; that's an already-established pattern of behavior.

Brand new gig drivers are not typically known for cancelling rides at all, as a matter of fact. The algos know this. It's suspicious to the algo when a brand new gig driver cancels a trip while enroute to the pickup. It's even more suspicious when a brand new gig driver cancels a trip after starting the trip at pickup.

Rarely means, maybe once every 500 trips, when it comes to cancelling a trip after it's already begun. You've likely not even done 50 trips, and you've already cancelled two trips in progress...according to you. And you're overall cancelling 10% of your trips, in your first 50.

It's suspicious to an algo that knows how to baby new drivers into taking and finishing every trip possible.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
You're thooo aggrethive, young man!! I'm new, but not brand-new

View attachment 615215
I, too, can grab a SS of someone else's pics, and scribble it out to make it less identifiable.

You've asked a ton of questions in various threads over the 2 days since your account creation, which makes it very obvious you've not done over 800 lyft rides yourself. Even your simple app functionality questions have told us that.

You're new, and you're getting warnings that are generally only sent out to new drivers who do something too often, too soon.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts