Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove a fellow driver Saturday night who mentions he makes $200/day between 3:30-1oam on weekday mornings on the airport crowd. I was wondering if anyone else has this sort of luck. He also mentioned that he's the "king of cancellation." He calls riders to see if they're going to the airport, then cancels if they aren't. I wouldn't feel great doing that sort of thing, but is there anything that prohibits him from doing something like that?

It would be cool to make my day's goal by lunch, got any tips for me?

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Assuming you're using DF - It's pretty easy to screen pax based on pickup location before accepting. Hotels, houses, nice condo buildings = more likely airport. Bars, warehouses, random street corners = drunks and shift workers going home.

Not 100% accurate, but even if you do get a short ride it's not a big deal at 3am since it doesn't eat up that much time.

By 7-8am the 45 minute flag tells you it's an airport ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes.

If you can't turn those airport rides into a return trip you're doing it wrong.
So I got a good long trip to the airport and dropped off the rider at around 0445. I didn't get a rematch so I headed to the weird gypsy lot that was closed, but I got into the queue at #10. The queue kicked me out twice after waiting about 25 minutes. It just disappeared twice like I wasn't in the geo fence. I finally left and picked up a trip from a nearby hotel to downtown. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think it depends on how strategic you are with your operation. I will occasionally get up some early morning and look for airport rides. You have to think, you can get down and back roundtriup anywhere in Denver to DIA in an hour. If you're not moving you're not making money. I prefer this much better than trying to get 3 pick ups in an hour and fighting off traffic.

Depending on when you arrive at the airport you may be able to catch a rematch. There are certain windows throughout the day where you'll have a higher probability of catching a rematch as opposed to dead heading back. There are certain neighborhoods that are more likely to yield an airport ride. I doubt anyone on this board is going to tell you where they are at.

The challenging aspect with Lyft is they no longer reveal the address where the ride is originating. Without this, it makes it harder to determine if the ride has a chance as an airport run. From my experience, Lyft is also likely to cancel a ride if they can find a driver closer to the passenger. I have had this happen on several airport runs in the morning. If you are using the Waze app it does not end the trip in the Waze App. You show up, and another driver is there. At least that's how it was the last time I ran lyft. The cancellations while in route, the unreliability of the DF filter, and the masked address makes it much harder for how I want to drive.

NorthernLights I suggest you download one of the airport flight apps and study the flight patterns. The probability that you'll get a rematch at 4:45 is not high. There just aren't that many flights arriving in Denver. You're wasting time sitting in that lot. You can easily get back to downtown in 30 minutes and get an airport ride. If you're up at 3.30 you should be able to get 2-3 airport rides minimum. Even dead heading back and forth. It used to be easier from downtown before the A line, but airport rides can still be had.

As far as the ethics of calling ahead and cancelling the forum is going to be largely split on if that's right or wrong. Too many cancellations Lyft/Uber will probably start looking at you. I am yet to call a passenger in the morning and verify if they are headed to the airport. If I was truly running a bottom line business I probably should call them. I have zero qualms about calling the passenger from the airport lot and ascertaining which direction they are headed. I often fit in airport trips around meetings, phone calls etc, and having gotten caught in traffic going the other direction I can't have ride share impact how I really earn. Plus the riders experience is not really impacted with 95 drivers waiting at the lot. Uber has the technology with regional filters to allow a driver to choose the general area where they would like to stay, but Uber has determined it is not in their self interest. I have determined that it is not in my self interest to accept a trip to Loveland that will place me an hour and half from my house. For that reason alone I call, and I am not too worried about what anyone else has to say about it either.

Also, if you're not signed up to drive Uber, you should be. Running both apps until you get an airport trip increases your chances to get said airport ride.

RideshareGentrification I am going to have to disagree with you that early mornings/ days are not good. I used to do primarily nights/ bar crowd. I do less trips, drive fewer total hours, and bring home far more doing long hauls versus these dinky 4.5 mile runs that take 22 mins. There is far more downtime, but that works well in my favor.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I am going to have to disagree with you that early mornings/ days are not good. I used to do primarily nights/ bar crowd. I do less trips, drive fewer total hours, and bring home far more doing long hauls versus these dinky 4.5 mile runs that take 22 mins. There is far more downtime, but that works well in my favor.
I work exclusively during the days and don't want anyone else to suffer through it as I do ;)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I drove a fellow driver Saturday night who mentions he makes $200/day between 3:30-1oam on weekday mornings on the airport crowd. I was wondering if anyone else has this sort of luck. He also mentioned that he's the "king of cancellation." He calls riders to see if they're going to the airport, then cancels if they aren't. I wouldn't feel great doing that sort of thing, but is there anything that prohibits him from doing something like that?

It would be cool to make my day's goal by lunch, got any tips for me?
I could see him making that easily. I can't do that to a customer yet, I'm not that desperate/strategic.

Mornings for me are hit and miss, but bear in mind, I can only drive from 645 - 815. Very limited. Sometimes thats 60 bucks, sometimes 8 bucks. Traffic is crazy.

Assuming you're using DF - It's pretty easy to screen pax based on pickup location before accepting. Hotels, houses, nice condo buildings = more likely airport. Bars, warehouses, random street corners = drunks and shift workers going home.

Not 100% accurate, but even if you do get a short ride it's not a big deal at 3am since it doesn't eat up that much time.

By 7-8am the 45 minute flag tells you it's an airport ride.
Lot of truth here. If I'm going to a house in a nice neighborhood before 9 am, it's usually an airport run. Same with hotels. I generally avoid downtown and the bars. Maybe I'm costing myself money, but it's too much of a hassle.

·
12,715 Posts
So I got a good long trip to the airport and dropped off the rider at around 0445. I didn't get a rematch so I headed to the weird gypsy lot that was closed, but I got into the queue at #10. The queue kicked me out twice after waiting about 25 minutes. It just disappeared twice like I wasn't in the geo fence. I finally left and picked up a trip from a nearby hotel to downtown. What am I doing wrong?
You probably were not kicked out. Although it will appear you are. Did you toggle back and forth between the earning screen and the home screen? Generally, if you go into your earnings screen and go back to your home screen, the black airplane icon will disappear. I don't know if you have an Android but if you do, close out the app and bring it back up. It'll make the black airplane icon disappear, which makes it appears you are out of the Q. You very very rarely get kicked out of the queue. At least to the point you realize you're kicked out. If you are actually "kicked out" of the Q, 99% of the time you don't know you're kicked out. It still appears like you're in the queue

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
My .02. On Sat. and Sun. mornings, I do 3:30 am to 10 am, on weekdays, I do 3:30 am to 5 or 5:30 am as my schedule allows. Airports are very random, maybe Monday, Weds. and Thursday early AM have a decent shot, but otherwise, I wouldn't bet a living on it. I've gone an entire month before without a single airport on a weekday early AM, and I've had weeks where I've gotten an airport every morning I've signed in. Suburbs, Highlands, Downtown, HR, doesn't matter the neighborhood.

When I first started to do early AM's, 18 mos. ago, I had no problems getting an airport, or a decent trip. Now, those hours can be very saturated. Few weeks ago, signed in at 3:30 am on a Thursday morning, sitting at a 104th and Colorado, there were 6 other cars with rideshare stickers visible, when I opened the Uber pax app, it showed 5 cars available in that area.

I wouldn't bother trying to screen either, you're better off just taking what you get, and crossing your fingers. 30 to 40 minute, non airports trips are not uncommon early AM. There is a woman in Thornton that is an auditor for a hotel chain, I've had several ride requests from her, I've taken her to Boulder, DTC and Golden, I've also gotten people going to work, that are longer distance trips as well.

As for rematches at DIA, there are 4 flights that arrive between 4 am and 4:30 am, all are Frontier, I've had rematches maybe three times. The issue is the vultures that park on the ramp at DIA and wait for those flights, instead of dropping off and leaving. Those same vultures need a good ass kicking as well for blocking up space.

The other thing, those early AM, be prepared for a lot of 15+ minute trips to pickup pax, and depending on the day, if your in Thornton, you can expect to get the cigarette runs in Brighton.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have consistently been getting trips to the airport from the west side of town. My problem is getting rematches. Two days now, four trips out and four failed rematches. Even when flights are rolling in. The earliest ones I understand, but at 0700 with flights landing constantly since 0615 I should be getting more out of it.

So far it would be worth the early wake up if I could have pocketed the extra $ from four long trips. As it is, I’m not sure.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My
I have consistently been getting trips to the airport from the west side of town. My problem is getting rematches. Two days now, four trips out and four failed rematches. Even when flights are rolling in. The earliest ones I understand, but at 0700 with flights landing constantly since 0615 I should be getting more out of it.

So far it would be worth the early wake up if I could have pocketed the extra $ from four long trips. As it is, I'm not sure.
my success rate with re-matches with AM boulder-DIA trips is poor. My best window for re-matches when i drop off and close out the trip is generally 11am - 5 or 6pm...

·
Registered
633 Posts
I used to get up early for the airport runs..Don't even need a df at 4am. But no rematch. Your right middle of the day is best, i got my sweet spot works like a charm.
My wife occasionall has to work at 6am so I drop her off and almost always snag a select or xl to DIA but the drive back is almost always empty with tons of track so I'll do it but it's usually kind of a pita never getting a rm and taking 45 minutes to get back to denver since I don't want to waste $3 taking the toll road

·
Registered
374 Posts
You're not going to get many rematches before 9 AM. If i had to guess the probability is less than 10%. When I would do the occasional morning shift I think I may have gotten two rematches over over a a 6 month period. If you go sit in the lot you'll also wait over an 1.5 even if the queue is showing between 20-30 cars. You can easily get back downtown and snag another airport ride. I used to be able to grab it on the same DF filter, but that may be cooked too. got a p is correct. You typically don't need a DF filter at that time except for maybe Friday's or weekend when you're dealing witth walk of shame folks.

Out of curiosity what percentage of the "scheduled ride pickups" do you think are airport runs?

·
Registered
633 Posts
You're not going to get many rematches before 9 AM. If i had to guess the probability is less than 10%. When I would do the occasional morning shift I think I may have gotten two rematches over over a a 6 month period. If you go sit in the lot you'll also wait over an 1.5 even if the queue is showing between 20-30 cars. You can easily get back downtown and snag another airport ride. I used to be able to grab it on the same DF filter, but that may be cooked too. got a p is correct. You typically don't need a DF filter at that time except for maybe Friday's or weekend when you're dealing witth walk of shame folks.

Out of curiosity what percentage of the "scheduled ride pickups" do you think are airport runs?
The scheduled rides on lyft are a joke they're almost always just min fare and you can pre book premier or lux ride according to one pax. Not sure if you can pre book plus rides. So they'e pointless.

As far as early rm I'd say 8am to 9am is about 33% but before 8am you're probably correct on less than 10%. The rematches I have gotten before 8am are usually xl or select. I remember one morning I had a a guy ask me to take him to DIA at 6am on a premier ride it just happened to be a 150% pt ride and I snagged a plus rm back downtown it was a nice way to make over $200 before 730am.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts