Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had two bad passenger ratings today and I have to rant. Before today I had 62 rated trips... all 5 star except one (4 star - I did the math). Today I drop a middle aged couple off for a wedding "at the park. Ride goes great, friendly convo the whole way down, offer free water and candy whicg they take, the whole thing. They even gave me a $5 tip! So I go to drop them off at the wedding "in the park" but when we get there, we don't see any wedding. We drove around a bit looking, I ask what they want to do and they ask that I just drop them near the pavilions and said they would figure it out. Ok great, no problem. Later I look and they gave me either 3 or 4 stars. For what?? Dropping them where they asked? That's the only reason I could think of.

Then later a nice enough young woman, I give her a ride to the train station. We hit traffic, I follow Google maps on the fastest route mind you it's like half a mile longer but we saved a good 10 minutes of gridlock. Otherwise all goes well... 3 stars. Seriously? Oh, I'm sorry it was only a comfortable $35k car providing you with an abundently safe and comfortable ride that is barely even worth my time to give you...

I mean seriously, what BS. Granted I still have a 4.93 but it was 4.98 before today. Pax can just decide they don't give 5's, or whatever, and we get screwed because of it. Uber should automatically ignore the top and bottom 5% of ratings...

/rant

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yeah, every now and then you'll get a bum and wholly undeserved bad rating. It happens. Not really anything worthy of losing sleep over. Once you hit a few hundred rides expect your rating to balance out around 4.90 and not move around much thereafter--unless you work post bar time, then your ratings will take a bit more of a hit.

Remember, though, that riders have quite awhile (a few days, I think) to rate a ride so if you note a drop in your rating it might be on a ride you gave a few days ago that was finally rated, not necessarily the couple in the park. In their case, BTW, since they even tipped you I'd imagine they rated you a 4 thinking that that was still a satisfactory rating (most pax don't understand that 4s are bad).

·
25,034 Posts
Uber does not edge-uh-mah-kayte its riders on its Star System. Some time back, we had an Uber Operations Manager post an "ask me anything" topic. Many posters here asked her about the ratings. She stated that Uber did not want to tell its users how to rate. She stonewalled all logical arguments against that.

Many Uber users think that Uber's rating system is similar to Michelin's:

One star is bad.
Two stars is tolerable.
Three stars is acceptable.
Four stars is pretty good.
Five stars is scrape, bow and kowtow.

Uber does not help it any, when it informs the user that a four star rating is "good".

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
You might have been rated on a trip from the other day and not either of those two trips. That's my understanding a week later I can write you one star because when I woke up I couldn't find my car keys

Reactions: Aegisx5

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you work for ratings and not money... Rethink your water, mints, and 35k$ car.
I've mostly just been driving surge after bar closing ... that is once I learned the ropes. It works out fairly well when I stay disciplined enough not to bother going to sit around waiting for rides that don't exist with the other Uber drivers... yesterday the two rides I did totalled $43 with tip, 60 miles means it cost me about $18 so I made $25 profit in 2 hrs. Not great but not the worst either... surge time is where it's at though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might have been rated on a trip from the other day and not either of those two trips. That's my understanding a week later I can write you one star because when I woke up I couldn't find my car keys
This is possible but I didn't drive since the previous Saturday, it would be a pretty big coincidence if my rating suddenly changed immediately after completing 2 new trips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had two bad passenger ratings today and I have to rant. Before today I had 62 rated trips... all 5 star except one (4 star - I did the math). Today I drop a middle aged couple off for a wedding "at the park. Ride goes great, friendly convo the whole way down, offer free water and candy whicg they take, the whole thing. They even gave me a $5 tip! So I go to drop them off at the wedding "in the park" but when we get there, we don't see any wedding. We drove around a bit looking, I ask what they want to do and they ask that I just drop them near the pavilions and said they would figure it out. Ok great, no problem. Later I look and they gave me either 3 or 4 stars. For what?? Dropping them where they asked? That's the only reason I could think of.

Then later a nice enough young woman, I give her a ride to the train station. We hit traffic, I follow Google maps on the fastest route mind you it's like half a mile longer but we saved a good 10 minutes of gridlock. Otherwise all goes well... 3 stars. Seriously? Oh, I'm sorry it was only a comfortable $35k car providing you with an abundently safe and comfortable ride that is barely even worth my time to give you...

I mean seriously, what BS. Granted I still have a 4.93 but it was 4.98 before today. Pax can just decide they don't give 5's, or whatever, and we get screwed because of it. Uber should automatically ignore the top and bottom 5% of ratings...

/rant
T

It is a disadvantage to working for Uber that they put so much emphasis on ratings. I've had similar ratings where I've asked myself where is the logic? I drove for Uber for about a month and I do not do it now. Between the emphasis on ratings and Uber going out of their way to let customer off the hook for tipping I've decided that they are getting the better deal at my expense. I've had people be rude to me in my car, and apparently given me low ratings for reasons that really are not applicable. Maybe a driver chit chats too much for some, not enough for others? Their jealous becuz your driving a new car and making money at it? Who knows? It' is flaky. Let these self entitled arrogant people scramble for rides from another source. I know I would feel badly if Uber penalized me because enough flaky customers gave me poor ratings due to factors that had nothing to do with the competent professional service I'm providing. Maybe Uber should require a rider to give feedback if a rating is going to be lower than a 5 by requiring the rater to make comments to justify their actions. You know you never feel bad for being the first one to bail out of a flaky situation but if the source of the flakiness terminates it first you do. I'm lucky I guess I don't need the income that badly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts