Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been driving for uber for a few weeks now. Applied to Lyft so I could drive both and my application was denied. The only thing I have on my record is a misdemeanor from 6 or 7 years ago. I am wondering if there is any sort of appeals process that I could pursue.

Chances are, I can get the charge expunged at this point and reapply. Anyone have any insight into exactly what the requirements are for eeach company? (Uber and Lyft)

I was under the impression that they had basically the same requirements in regard to criminal history, so I was surprised to be accepted by one and rejected by the other.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't know what the exact requirements are, but I know someone who has a reckless driving charge on their record from 6 years ago. Lyft denied them, Uber accepted. I don't think Uber really cares, at least Lyft sends someone out to theoretically look your car over and make sure you are who you say you are.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Did you take a mentor ride?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Uber:
Hires, errr, partners with anyone who can operate a gas nozzle.
Also the hiring is done by people wearing their pajamas, wanting only to fulfill a daily quota and not be terminated.

Lyft;
Pays a current driver (who may not want another 6 Lyft drivers staging on his/her block) I think, $35 a whack to approve OR deny you.

Proceed with math.
:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did the mentor ride. Got notice of rejection a couple weeks after. The charge was criminal mischief. (In a park after dark with fellow dumb teenagers)

·
Registered
966 Posts
I did the mentor ride. Got notice of rejection a couple weeks after. The charge was criminal mischief. (In a park after dark with fellow dumb teenagers)
Well if you weren't rejected due to a background check you probably came up short on your mentor ride somehow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if you weren't rejected due to a background check you probably came up short on your mentor ride somehow.
I was rejected due to the background check. My question is what are the differences in requirements between the two companies?

·
Registered
966 Posts
I was rejected due to the background check. My question is what are the differences in requirements between the two companies?
Gotcha... Nice avatar by the way.

Reactions: tohunt4me

·
Registered
344 Posts
Uber:
Hires, errr, partners with anyone who can operate a gas nozzle.
You have no idea what you're talking about. In Oregon it's against the law to pump your own gas. Most drivers here don't know how to operate a gas nozzle ;)

I've heard that Lyft is stricter than Uber with what they allow. Criminal mischief can be open to interpretation so it's possible that Lyft classifies it as a violent crime while Uber doesn't.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You have no idea what you're talking about. In Oregon it's against the law to pump your own gas. Most drivers here don't know how to operate a gas nozzle. ;)
Tell me about it.

A g/f and I took a trip to OR.
I drove from LA to about Yreka, when I got assaulted by the sandman.

She took the wheel while I stretched out in the 6 cubic feet (foot?) backseat.
I came to as she was just stopping at a gas pump... I had no clue when or where, just jumped out to put the gas in the tank.

Goober Pyle froze up and looked at me like I was trying to fill a lit Molotov cocktail.

Welcome to Oregon.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Goober Pyle froze up and looked at me like I was trying to fill a lit Molotov cocktail.

Welcome to Oregon.
LOL Yeah that sounds about right. It's a big deal here, like a gas station that gets caught letting people pump their gas can get heavy fines and eventually lose their license or permit or whatever it is to sell gas. If you want to see a minimum wage meth head* lose their shit, start pumping your own gas. On the plus side, it does provide a job for a lot of people, which is the point of the law.

*Not saying all pump jockeys are meth heads, but a good many of them are.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Errr, sorry, what is a mentor ride?
It's only for Lyft. Uber wants meth heads who haven't been caught in the last 7 years driving for them.

Reactions: Adieu

·
Registered
8 Posts
What Ive been told is Uber does poor job vetting drivers. Ive seen this happen. Lyft knows this and is vetting new drivers with more scrutiny. Its not because you mentor doesn't want the competition.

I have no love for Lyft.

G

·
Lyft rejects people for anything on their record which is absolutely ridiculous and when you ask them or their company who runs the background check about it. Neither tells you why it seems.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Been driving for uber for a few weeks now. Applied to Lyft so I could drive both and my application was denied. The only thing I have on my record is a misdemeanor from 6 or 7 years ago. I am wondering if there is any sort of appeals process that I could pursue.

Chances are, I can get the charge expunged at this point and reapply. Anyone have any insight into exactly what the requirements are for eeach company? (Uber and Lyft)

I was under the impression that they had basically the same requirements in regard to criminal history, so I was surprised to be accepted by one and rejected by the other.
I had a similar experience. I had been driving for Uber for months and had a high rating. I applied to Lyft. They checked all my documents and background checks before the mentor ride. Did not have any driving infractions and made no derogatory comments during the mentor ride yet was rejected. Stranger still: I reapplied and again got through to the mentor ride, but the app refuses to allow me to summon a mentor. I emailed support again and again but no one could help me. I was not only denied, apparently, I can NEVER drive for them.

My belief is that Lyft is fake competition for Uber. They don't want as many drivers. Why would anyone use a pink mustache for a trademark? It pisses off homophobes. Their role is just to discourage additional services. They have been successful so far, but that's ending. Juno and Gett are entering the market and Uber's virtual monopoly on drivers and their ability to crush wages will end.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can assure everyone that Lyft is losing hundreds of millions of dollars due to their very "strict" background guidelines. I myself had some teenage theft convictions more than 20 years ago. 23 to be exact. I have been a model citizen since. Married with two children, stellar references, even letters of recommendation from politicians and Lyft still denied me. It's sad they have no way of disputing or appealing this. Customer support is awful. Once you're denied to drive for Lyft, all emails after denial are rejected and your email address is blocked. SMH

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Does Lyft deactivate as readily as Uber?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm an approved and active Uber driver. Applied for Lyft but was rejected. Most likely because 11 years ago I had a DWAI...

I had done the mentor ride. The Mentor told me I was good to go if the background check came back okay....

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I can assure everyone that Lyft is losing hundreds of millions of dollars due to their very "strict" background guidelines. I myself had some teenage theft convictions more than 20 years ago. 23 to be exact. I have been a model citizen since. Married with two children, stellar references, even letters of recommendation from politicians and Lyft still denied me. It's sad they have no way of disputing or appealing this. Customer support is awful. Once you're denied to drive for Lyft, all emails after denial are rejected and your email address is blocked. SMH
I recently read something from Lyft indicating that their background checks only go back 7 years so your background shouldn't have been a problem. This was in an ad that focused on Lyft's "higher" standards than Uber's.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts