Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to Uber (Sarasota), so excuse me for being a bit green and naive... I have made about 20 trips, all with 5-star ratings and I've received some great tips from those few fares. I work a Mon-Fri 9-5 job, so Uber was perfect for me to make a little extra money. The little that I did drive was on Tuesdays and Fridays from about 6-9. Basically, I was driving riders to the bars and restaurants for the late night drivers to pick up later. My first few weeks were great, then 4 weeks ago today I made $11 for driving all over The Key and taking a couple downtown to Mattison's (my most popular destination to date). Typically, when I leave my last destination, I keep the app on and drive toward my neighborhood (Gulf Gate) and usually get fares on my way there, and this keeps me out awhile as long as I keep accepting fares. That Friday night I dropped the couple downtown and made it all the way back to Gulf Gate without another ping (rare, even for my short time driving). That night I found this site and began reading all of the threads from drivers who had been driving for some time. From what I could see in those threads, the area had become extremely saturated with drivers. I skipped going online the following Tuesday, but all the while checking the app daily after work. It was that week that I noticed that there was not a single surge not even in the usual areas. I had also read a tip from a full-time driver who recommended checking the Uber rider app to see how many cars were on the road at any given time. The absence of surges, combined with seeing swarms of other drivers crowding every area eventually caused me to just stop driving altogether. Oh yeah, I would receive a surge alert every once in awhile early in the day or late at night, but when I clicked on it, it appeared that the surge had passed. I began to think that the alert texts were getting to me a bit too late or that those swarms of drivers were "attacking" the areas before I could even get my shoes on. BTW, I constantly checked my settings to make sure my surge amount was set at its lowest.

So, on Tues., June 7th, I received a text from "Matt" from the Uber Florida Team asking for any feedback, comments, or questions that might make Uber better for drivers. I followed the link and explained how I thought the area is far too saturated and that there had not been a surge for weeks... I didn't a get response and was not surprised. Please remember, this is not my lively hood, but just a fun way to make some extra money on the side. Because of this I did not aggressively attempt to contact Uber and chalked it up to season being finished and the over crowded marketplace.

Very early Friday morning I received an alert regarding a 2.1x surge and opened the app thinking there would not be too many drivers. The same thing happened... Puzzled, I told my wife once again what was happening. She asked if I tried uninstalling the app and installing it again. I had not.... The timing of that terrible Friday evening 4 weeks ago, my reading of all the threads on this site that night, and the end of season here never even allowed me to think the app could have suddenly stopped working properly! I uninstalled, reinstalled, and there are surges in many areas around me! Okay, like I said, I'm green to all of this and take a lot of responsibility for being so, but I had no reason to think the app wasn't working since I was still receiving alerts via text and EVERY other function was working flawlessly. What really burns me is that when I responded to "Matt's" text and mentioned my issues, no one told me s*#t! In hindsight, I should have come on here and asked for help. But, it's their job to help, at least a little. Especially when a driver responds to their "how can we help?" bulls*#t text from 18 days ago!

Back to work, I suppose......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard the same from others. Looking into it to see if they're in Sarasota. Thanks for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts