Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started at 5:30AM in Plano this morning. I was in the middle of a nice red surge map. Repeatedly got requests from way outside surge. 15-20 minutes away. Had to logoff and on several times to try to get a good hook-up. What the hell. Why does this happen?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same thing happened to me on Friday night. I happened to turn on the app just outside of a nice little surge bubble in Bedford. About 30 seconds after turning on the app, I got a ping from 10 minutes away in the opposite direction. I declined that ping and the surge bubble instantly disappeared.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Started at 5:30AM in Plano this morning. I was in the middle of a nice red surge map. Repeatedly got requests from way outside surge. 15-20 minutes away. Had to logoff and on several times to try to get a good hook-up. What the hell. Why does this happen?
Rider has to accept the fare. You're getting the requests outside of the surge because those in it know to wait it out and it'll die out. Unless they're desperate to get to the airport and they're company is paying for it, you're going to have to keep waiting it out until (if) you get a surge request. It's hit or miss and all the other drivers are ignoring the non surge pings too.

Font Magenta Electric blue Pattern Signage

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had a ping indicating 1.9, but after accepting it, it showed 1.4..I wonder if I am going blind or # blind...I ended up cancelling it after realizing it was 11 miles away..I picked it because the the direction was towards home but then pickup was past my house by another 5 miles..
Had so many 10 + miles away pings around 5am ...I am learning to not be an ant anymore..lol

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
It happens because. There are other pax requesting rides outside the surge area But You and the Other driver are waiting for a surge ride. No driver accepts them. So the request bounces from driver to driver.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Go back to the Dallas section, first page. And read the "mother of all surges" thread... learn something.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I think there are a few things going on here.

1) You are in a dying surge and after the surge peaks, the demand is already filled. The partner app lags against real demand so you may see a high surge and in all actuality the surge is dead or decreasing. I have also noticed Uber allowing the app to go dark red and it stays dark red as the surge dies.
2) The surge did what it was intended to do (get drivers to the area) and the above happened and you are not the closest driver anymore
3) You are in a ghost/fake surge area intended to get drivers close enough to where the demand is and were bamboozled by Uber.
4) You actually drove into the surge and killed it. Even though you were smack dab in the middle, Uber is watching the roaches chase that surge and calculates the roaches to determine if demand is fulfilled.
5) You have a combination of riders waiting out the surge. If this is the case and you are absolutely sure there is still demand, go offline and let the surge cycle again.

The key to getting surge rides is anticipating surge. Meaning you are parked and waiting for the surge to happen. At that point, you are watching the surge build and watching the rider app to determine what cars are coming online. This dictates how high the surge will go. If you go on too late, you lose out. If you go on too early, you get a lower surge.

When I go online for surge (meaning I never drive into it), I know what the surge rate is. I don't accept anything but the actual surge rate. Another tactic is that Uber is sending non surge rides in a true surge area. I believe these are scheduled rides that the price is agreed to or Uber simply knowing that drivers will take non-surge rides while they charge a surge rate, hence the reason at events you cannot schedule a ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts