Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone currently uses or is thinking about using something like Square to process CC tips. I don't get many tips but have had a few people recently if I took CC for tips. I'm starting to get tips ($2-5+/pax) almost every day. I have started keeping change so pax have no excuse not to tip when they mention it. I was wondering if Square would be worth the 2.75% hit.

·
Registered
153 Posts
A lot of drivers have it available for CC tips. As for whether or not it's worth it---if having it gets you a tip you wouldn't have gotten without it, then 97.25% of something is better that 100% of nothing.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seriously? You are getting that much in TIPS? Do you wait tables too? Lol! I noticed when riders ask me about driving for Uber they also tend to tip. Maybe it's bcuz I'm female. Idk.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
I got the first 6 months or $1000 with no cut taken out.. if I get someone else to sign up.i think I can get another 6 months. In any case I'd rather pay on a tip I wouldn't have otherwise than not get one at all.

Having said that I think I've made about $70 on tips since February on the square. But it's money I wouldn't have had.

Most people say they don't carry cash but then when you tell them you can take credit cards they can't get out of the car fast enough.

Earns them one less star for essentially lying about why they don't tip.
I was wondering if anyone currently uses or is thinking about using something like Square to process CC tips. I don't get many tips but have had a few people recently if I took CC for tips. I'm starting to get tips ($2-5+/pax) almost every day. I have started keeping change so pax have no excuse not to tip when they mention it. I was wondering if Square would be worth the 2.75% hit.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the first 6 months or $1000 with no cut taken out.. if I get someone else to sign up.i think I can get another 6 months. In any case I'd rather pay on a tip I wouldn't have otherwise than not get one at all.

Having said that I think I've made about $70 on tips since February on the square. But it's money I wouldn't have had.

Most people say they don't carry cash but then when you tell them you can take credit cards they can't get out of the car fast enough.

Earns them one less star for essentially lying about why they don't tip.
Yes I also rate non-tippers worse than tippers.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cash is much better
Well yes of course. And a CC tip minus 2.75% is better than $0. I'm more curious than anything to see if I will get more tips. I'm still thinking about a small sign as well- "Tipping is not required but greatly appreciated. Only tippers get 5 star ratings. Thanks and enjoy the ride!". Lol. Ah- that will never get old.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
Cash is much better
When I deliver pizza my average credit card tip is more than my average cash tip. So it evens out in the end. Plus if someone REALLY wants to tip but doesn't have cash it's a tip you wouldn't otherwise get.

The people who have tipped with my reader were folks who really thought the tip was being added after the fact. They never even looked at their credit card statement or if they did didn't notice it wasn't higher than the receipt at the end of the trip.

There aren't many that will take the time to tip that way but I figure if they do I'd hate to not have the reader.

I'd rather pay fee and taxes on $10 and end up with $7 than get nothing.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I thought about just a small sticker on my rear view mirror that said Tipping not required but Appreiciated

·
Registered
219 Posts
Seriously? You are getting that much in TIPS? Do you wait tables too? Lol! I noticed when riders ask me about driving for Uber they also tend to tip. Maybe it's bcuz I'm female. Idk.
I think "Old Rocker" also works a pole at a strip club if he's gotta make several trips to the bank to release his wad of cash... LOL -- Do they hire chubby dancers? if so, sign me up!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I don't mess with CC. I know its 2015 and most people have no common sense. But I was always told to tip with cash. I know most on here know the reason but these snot nose brats don't.
For people thinking its built in to the ride I advise them its not. They can give me the 5 star rating it helps more then they think. Then that lets me educate them on the dumb rating system.
So all in all getting in my ride I mostly educate people on the fUBER system. If it gets others tips and 5 stars I did my part.
I also can't count how many times I have gotten $20 tips for me just driving someone. It happens now once a week. And on runs that net me $6 or $7.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I have gotten quite a few $20 tips because "No, I am sorry, I don't have change, but its okay, as Uber say's, there is no need to tip!" Sometimes this does backfire and I get nothing. HAHA. Oh well.

Having a CC reader for tips makes you look greedy. If you could have a backstory to the CC reader, that can help. For instance, "your real job".

Really? How degrading is that "What is your real job?" I do this part time, but I know there are lots of drivers who do this full time, so when they ask what is your real job.. I say, Uber is my only job. They usually have a face of shame.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A lot of drivers have it available for CC tips. As for whether or not it's worth it---if having it gets you a tip you wouldn't have gotten without it, then 97.25% of something is better that 100% of nothing.
So true... I have a paypal one. But wouldn't you have to pay taxes on all the tips you get if they aren't cash?

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
So true... I have a paypal one. But wouldn't you have to pay taxes on all the tips you get if they aren't cash?
I deliver pizza. People tip more when it's on a credit card (not "real" money). So it ends up the same.

Plus if it's someone who HAS no cash I'd rather get a tip and pay taxes than get NO tip.

The taxes argument is specious.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I deliver pizza. People tip more when it's on a credit card (not "real" money). So it ends up the same.

Plus if it's someone who HAS no cash I'd rather get a tip and pay taxes than get NO tip.

The taxes argument is specious.
Well On the paypal one I see you can setup a tax rate on it. so It will automatically take it out. I just am afraid of the forgetting something and the IRS trying to rape me over that .35 cent they didnt get.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts