Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a request from OHARE and the pax called right away to let me know it was a trip to Bloomington/Normal, IL - (3 riders). Pax said 2 other uber canceled the trip once they found out the distance. I was thankful that pax was considerate enough to call me before I got there.

It was over a 2 hr ride, already 9p aND it was raining heavily. Driving there would have put me back in Chicago around 1:30 - 2a.... No Thanks!

If it was daytime and not raining I would have gladly taken it. But I had just started for the night and I would not have had any other opportunity to make money that night.

The Pax claimed it would have been a $200 fare. Of course she doesnt factor in the uber cut, But I still doubt it would have been close to that. It would have been approximately $130.xx ish once uber took there cut.

Oh well...

But did anyone on here take it or got a request for it?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made more than $200. Less miles on my car too. Granted I had to work more hours but I preferred to stay local and if I wanted to go home at any point I could versus being stuck driving back home. The right call indeed

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I got a request from OHARE and the pax called right away to let me know it was a trip to Bloomington/Normal, IL - (3 riders). Pax said 2 other uber canceled the trip once they found out the distance. I was thankful that pax was considerate enough to call me before I got there.

It was over a 2 hr ride, already 9p aND it was raining heavily. Driving there would have put me back in Chicago around 1:30 - 2a.... No Thanks!

If it was daytime and not raining I would have gladly taken it. But I had just started for the night and I would not have had any other opportunity to make money that night.

The Pax claimed it would have been a $200 fare. Of course she doesnt factor in the uber cut, But I still doubt it would have been close to that. It would have been approximatly $130.xx ish once uber took there cut.

Oh well...

But did anyone on here take it or got a request for it?
Tell them you have to drive back, negotiate some kind of tip, or extra for the ride back?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't think about that, but the way she started off with "It's gonna be a $200 fare...." I knew I wasn't going to get a tip, no need to negotiate that. They could tell me they would give me a tip, but at the end don't, I don't trust riders.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Twice a month when I drive downstate I would love that. I'm thrilled if I can end up in Bolingbrook or Romeoville.
Hang out at Ohare in the late night, you will get those far suburban trips.

And actually you don't have to hang out long on a late night 9-10p Thursdays and Friday's; I get pings while I am at least 8 miles away from Ohare.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Hang out at Ohare in the late night, you will get those far suburban trips.

And actually you don't have to hang out long on a late night 9-10p Thursdays and Friday's; I get pings while I am at least 8 miles away from Ohare.
I'm a morning driver. I try be he home by 1:20.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I made more than $200. Less miles on my car too. Granted I had to work more hours but I preferred to stay local and if I wanted to go home at any point I could versus being stuck driving back home. The right call indeed
Just curious...how would it be less miles? (Unless you somehow were able to minimize your deadhead miles humping around town).

Miles is miles and you're paid by the mile, right?

I must be an idiot.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Less miles? II don't see how if you put in more hrs. I rather take that long trip that consist of all highway miles then low miles here and there, and have my car beat up with city pot holes and stop and go traffic. I'm just saying

·
Registered
688 Posts
I can't imagine turning that down.
I can easily imagine turning down 140 miles worth of deadheading.

At 275 miles round-trip and a conservative real cost of 40 cents a mile, that's $110 in costs out of a $150 net fare, at a maximum. I just did a fare estimate and the low end is $140 so you may net as little as... $110. So you could end up making nothing while giving up over 4 hours of your time. Thanks but no thanks. Throw another $100 into the pot and then I'll start thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I can easily imagine turning down 140 miles worth of deadheading.

At 275 miles round-trip and a conservative real cost of 40 cents a mile, that's $110 in costs out of a $150 net fare, at a maximum. I just did a fare estimate and the low end is $140 so you may net as little as... $110. So you could end up making nothing while giving up over 4 hours of your time. Thanks but no thanks. Throw another $100 into the pot and then I'll start thinking about it.
To each his own. I understand the cost argument, but I'll take the $37 an hour an hour all day. I average 30% off app time anyway, almost never sit and wait for fares so I'm spending a portion of that anyway, and I could possibly get a local Bloomington fare to cover part of the cost of the trip back.

I wouldn't hesitate at all unless I was too tired to make the round trip safely.

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
You are not required to take trips outside your service area. I'm sure after 5 rejections, they'll eventually up the ante with a tip.
I'd do it if I can keep the meter running on the way back until I'm close enough to hear the Chicago radio stations

·
Registered
688 Posts
To each his own. I understand the cost argument, but I'll take the $37 an hour an hour all day. I average 30% off app time anyway, almost never sit and wait for fares so I'm spending a portion of that anyway, and I could possibly get a local Bloomington fare to cover part of the cost of the trip back.

I wouldn't hesitate at all unless I was too tired to make the round trip safely.
But it's not $37 an hour. You're just borrowing against depreciation and future costs on your car. Also, you can't get pings outside of your home market, so you wouldn't get a fare in Bloomington.

·
Registered
688 Posts
U can get calls outside your market it just depends if the city has special rules like chicago annual inspection
Next time you're out of market, take out your phone and open up the driver app. You'll get a message that says something along the lines of "System Busy." Even if you could, the chances of getting a ride back to Chicago are exceedingly slim, so even if you get some work while you're down there you're still deadheading some 140 miles to get home.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Not true about out of market. I was once down at ISU, and turned it on to see what would happen. I immediately got a ping. Let it time out of course, because I was hammered. They even have the old heat map surge.

If it were a week or two ago, when school was in session, I wouldve taken the fare down there. I think the drivers down there make bank during the school year in downtown bloomington. Me and some friends paid a 4.9 surge from downtown bloomington back to the campus, which is probably a little over 2 miles.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts