Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was sitting at a 7-11 the other night and noticed on the pax app that there was other ubers right around me.. shortly after I get a ping and the destination was to a little suburb area outside of town.. it was a specific home address but when I got there I got a feeling like I was being tricked lol

There were no cars in the driveway..no lights on at the house and it was about 11:45pm on a saturday night..

After 5 mins I cancelled and rolled off..

Do you think other uber drivers do this to other drvers or was this most likely just a natural mistake?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Was sitting at a 7-11 the other night and noticed on the pax app that there was other ubers right around me.. shortly after I get a ping and the destination was to a little suburb area outside of town.. it was a specific home address but when I got there I got a feeling like I was being tricked lol

There were no cars in the driveway..no lights on at the house and it was about 11:45pm on a saturday night..

Do you think other uber drivers do this to other drvers or was this most likely just a natural mistake?
I call and ask ... sometimes they are just one street over and waiting for you. Sometimes new users put in their destination for the pickup and that is their home (remember they may have had a few). I have had them all, but seldom a situation where no one utlimately gets back to me to let me know what is up.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Taxi drivers were doing this in Portland up until a couple of months ago. They were doing it on Lyft though, I'm guessing because Lyft makes it harder to get the $5 cancel fee. They would put in an address in Portland that was up in the west hills. The west hills overlook downtown and are generally cobbled together wealthy neighborhoods. They'd ping at an address that was usually on a crowded, winding, 5 or 10 mph road that while not being far out of downtown, was very slow and difficult to get to because it was a 2 way street that really only had room for 1 car at a time, blind corners, and lots of cars parked along one side of it. I haven't heard of that happening anymore since late July though.

**And I know there are a few taxi apologists here, and before you jump my ass asking how I know it was cabbies, blah blah blah... it's because the cabbies were telling us they were screwing with drivers. That's how I know.

·
Banned
919 Posts
Ghost acceptance is happening at times for me around 2am when surge is hitting. I got pinged at 1:59am approximately one Saturday and drove the 3 minutes to the house and looked like no one was there or sleeping. I them waited to cancel at 5 minutes but "rider" cancelled before 2 minutes so the total time was under 5 minutes. I them lost a good surge and had to take less. I got one the very next week with different name but this time I watched the rider app. It was surging now higher and instead of trying to collect $5 cancellation for another suspect request, I cancelled at 2 minutes and got back to the action and got a good surge ride. I will no longer take request from homes when almost everyone is at a bar and not at a home looking for a ride.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

The fact that the rider didn't cancel within 5 minutes tells me it was probably the typical wrong address entered. If drivers were doing it to mess with you, I would think they would cancel before the charge kicks in. Although since they got charged, I kind of hope it was someone doing a prank.

·
Premium Member
6,945 Posts
Did you text or call to make sure you had the right address? What if the rider was waiting for you down the block?

·
Registered
346 Posts

Yes. Some drivers do this to each other.

I dont usually drive where I live. This is t a busy area. But I decided when I'm just home running errands I would turn on the app. I got a ping and looked it up....it cancelled as I walked out to my car. I got a second ping 5 minutes later. It also cancelled when I walked out to my car. Well....I know where those 2 guys live. I also know they are uber drivers. And since I do t believe in coincidence in things of this nature, I decided to go have a talk with them. They were quite surprised and at first deny deny deny. Eventually both admitted to it. That's fine. People get territorial. No big deal...as long as it doesn't happen again. And it hasn't. I don't hold a grudge. I even invited them out to pizza.

People wonder why drivers can't organize. Are these the people you want to be affiliated with? Most drivers I talk to, and the number seems to be increasing, say they don't want anything to do with guys like this because they believe they bring trouble. Not the good kind that benefits you. The bad kind that puts you on the radar.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is so true. When your a company that will hire just about anyone then your gonna get just about everyone . . .

Reactions: Tyler Durden SF
1 - 8 of 8 Posts