Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am mostly a weekend driver.

I have noticed for the last couple of weekends a big reduction in job frequency and seems like many more available cars than usual.

Anyone else get a feeling the number of drivers has increased and therefore your job pings have reduced or am I just having bad luck?

· Registered
260 Posts
I too have noticed zero pings

.... but that is coz I turned off my app on 31 July as it is not worth registering an ABN to collect Uber's GST..etc etc

How was your first month with GST did you get any baklash....or did the pax not notice/not care?

· Registered
428 Posts
Hooligan, I'm a black driver and noticed it.. I thought they weren't putting on anymore black cars but appears they are.

X - they're smashing it. Last time I was in the uber shop there were so many "taxi drivers" signing up it was crazy.

I think Uber in Perth COULD actually struggle to survive soon, the growth it experienced will most likely slow and with the recent article about the gold coast driver it'll just make things worse.

I'm starting to regret my recent purchase of quite an expensive car.. :\

· Registered
998 Posts
Hooligan, I'm a black driver and noticed it.. I thought they weren't putting on anymore black cars but appears they are.

X - they're smashing it. Last time I was in the uber shop there were so many "taxi drivers" signing up it was crazy.

I think Uber in Perth COULD actually struggle to survive soon, the growth it experienced will most likely slow and with the recent article about the gold coast driver it'll just make things worse.

JeffaO - what kind of car did you buy to uber in ?? Very curious

· Registered
428 Posts
Hey matey, ended up with a audi a6 - 2015 model.. amazing car to drive, 4-way climate control, inbuilt wifi. Gorgeous car.
Just.. expensive to uber in, especially when it's over saturated in Perth at the moment..

· Registered
428 Posts
I can do both but the pay per km is almost not worth it in the Audi.. so I just do black.
If i was going to keep the car till it died, I'd probably do both.. as sometimes you can't wait over an hour for a black job..
In that time you might have had 3-4 x jobs..

· Registered
428 Posts
Entirely up to you how you do it. That's the beauty of Uber.
not sure what the SCV restrictions are in brissy.. WA has some pretty unique ones..
Basically I try not to cross dispatch unless x is surging by 2.4 or more...

· Premium Member
3,130 Posts
I am mostly a weekend driver.

I have noticed for the last couple of weekends a big reduction in job frequency and seems like many more available cars than usual.

Anyone else get a feeling the number of drivers has increased and therefore your job pings have reduced or am I just having bad luck?
Uber 101; saturate the market with drivers then lower the price to encourage people to use it more. They wait till the driver pool is overflowing as they know the start and decent drivers will drop off. Less money for the driver as your expenses go up chasing more fares to equal the same pay while the increased volume nets a guaranteed 20% of the increased trip frequency.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went out last night, first time in a couple of weeks. Out for two hours cruising around South Perth / CBD. Zero pings. Kept an eye on Uber app for other cars, there were cars everywhere.

Admittedly Monday night was always quiet but there is a difference between quiet and zero.

· Registered
2,097 Posts
Where do you live?? Sometimes it's worth just staying home with the app on lol.
I agree Jeff, once you start cruising around your losing money.
Jeff, we need to be really careful not to believe to much of the uber hype. When uber started in perth i checked with them first if a mercedes c class was acceptable for uberblack. Yes i was told. So i went and bought a c class just for uber and 12 months later it gets dropped of the platform. I tried uberx for a week or two but you cant make money driving a mercedes on uberx rates. Its really disappointing as its cost me alot of money and im still paying the car of for another 3.5 years. But do you think uber cares? I think they just churn and burn drivers without giving a rats arse.

· Registered
2,097 Posts
I agree Jeff, once you start cruising around your losing money.
Jeff, we need to be really careful not to believe to much of the uber hype. When uber started in perth i checked with them first if a mercedes c class was acceptable for uberblack. Yes i was told. So i went and bought a c class just for uber and 12 months later it gets dropped of the platform. I tried uberx for a week or two but you cant make money driving a mercedes on uberx rates. Its really disappointing as its cost me alot of money and im still paying the car of for another 3.5 years. But do you think uber cares? I think they just churn and burn drivers without giving a rats arse.
Hey Jeff, your lucky if you only bought one luxury car. Ive heard of cases where guys bought multiple luxury cars because uber told them that the best way to make money is to own multiple cars and put drivers in them. I dont see those guys around anymore so i think they must have run into financial difficulties.
I was given the same advice by an uber staff member with an american accent back in 2014. Luckily i didnt do it as it didnt make sense to me as their is just not enough money in this game for both the owner and a driver.

· Registered
104 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think that staying at home is possible for uber X. Since the average ping usually is 5/7 min far from your location, if you take more than 30sec before to move the car, the customer will cancel the run.

For a black its totally another story, obviously..

· Registered
428 Posts
Potsy: Yeah I contemplated it to be honest, but Uber is about the hours you put in and trying to find decent drivers that want to do those hours is really hard.

I think many are still doing it though, it's the only way more uber black cars are getting on the road now - they don't take new partners, but existing partners seem to be able to add cars.

· Registered
671 Posts
Welcome to the end of the mining boom. In my taxi, I ask everyone what they do for a living. I'm a nosy bastard.

Just about everyone is concerned about their job security at the moment. Which means less spending on social activities (ie pubbing and clubbing).

How was your first month with GST did you get any baklash....or did the pax not notice/not care?
For almost all Uber passengers, although they'll say it's partly about cost, the major issue is a negative experience that they've previously had in a taxi. I read about this on different forums all the time.

Some idiot taxi driver has done something stupid or dodgy, resulting in the passenger swearing to never get into a taxi again.

The same thing is happening with Uber. I hear some extreme stuff about Uber drivers in my taxi, and I figure that Uber drivers are hearing plenty of bad stories about taxi drivers.

I don't see an ongoing future with Uber, especially once it gets legalised this year. The market is already flooded, but as Uber gets more well known, and more people lose their jobs post mining-boom, there will only be more and more Uber drivers. And a big decrease in passengers (ie less mining and business activity).

I've got three taxis, including the one that I drive at night. I'm going to try and get into driving Transperth buses at night, and if my existing troubles with getting taxi drivers continues then I'll sell two of the taxis by mid-year.

You're one of the sharpest people on here, but I could never figure out why you would spend $80k on a car for Uber Black use, unless you were going to buy the car anyway (ie for weekday family use).

My pick for Uber Black would have been a Falcon G6E on dedicated LPG, but that's not on Uber's list. The only one on the list that I would consider is a Holden Caprice. Easy to maintain, parts are cheap and available and you can get a taxi mechanic to maintain it (but for something as simple as a Caprice, do it yourself at home). Have a crash and the car is back on the road within days - it's basically a VE Commodore (one of the most common cars in Australia) with a bunch of cosmetic extras.

Buy one at auction, convert it to LPG use and then resell it every two years. Keep the capital outlay and depreciation as low as possible.

Hey matey, ended up with a audi a6 - 2015 model.. amazing car to drive, 4-way climate control, inbuilt wifi. Gorgeous car.

Just.. expensive to uber in, especially when it's over saturated in Perth at the moment..
My expectation is that it's going to be all misery for all drivers by the middle of the year.

The mining boom is well and truly over, and the price of iron ore is still dropping. The iron ore price is the big one. When it hit $47/ton in April last year, all hell broke loose in the business world. Businesses had been retaining staff where possible until then, but at $47 all friendships were over and mass redundancies began.

Those that still have jobs are constantly stressed and anxious. They're not going out socially. Almost all pubs and nightclubs are way down on 2014's turnover, and some have closed down. A lot more will close this year.

Uber being so easy to get into has been a blessing for drivers so far, but it will become a curse by mid-year. The market will be so flooded with drivers that no-one can make an acceptable full-time living out of it.

I regard Uber as the same as Scientology in the US. Lots of marking bullshit and hype, but start asking them the hard questions and you get fobbed off. And yet, plenty of people are hooked on Scientology.

Uber's the same. I think it's mostly a load of crap, but the fact is that it's the trendy thing right now.

I would never buy a European car for Uber use. Madness. Once you start needing parts it's going to get too expensive. Mercedes dealership workshops charge $195/hour for service work. Stuff that.

Uber profits from driver naivety. Drivers such as Potsy spend a bunch of money on a flashy car, only to find that the financial returns aren't there later. Uber benefits from having a flashy car on the road for six months, until the driver gives up. No worries, there's always going to be the next sucker who will do the same thing.

Hey Jeff, your lucky if you only bought one luxury car. Ive heard of cases where guys bought multiple luxury cars because uber told them that the best way to make money is to own multiple cars and put drivers in them. I dont see those guys around anymore so i think they must have run into financial difficulties.
Idiots. If something is easy to get into then it's going to get flooded pretty quickly.

Morons that have bought multiple cars will quickly have endless dramas. They won't get drivers, because drivers can't make enough money out of it. Meanwhile, the vehicle owners are trying to work out how to pay their finance costs. Even if they sell the cars, they cop a massive depreciation hit.

I'll have a go at setting up a car for Uber use in a few months. It will be a 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid. I'll pay $10,000 for it, and put an SCV plate on it (ie any hybrid car can have an SCV plate). It won't qualify for Uber Black, but it's the only way that I can see of doing UberX remotely legally. I'll advertise it for $400 per week, and look for an ex-taxi driver (ie experienced in driving commercially).

If that doesn't work out then I'll either resell the car (and get back 100% of the original cost) or convert it to a taxi when one of my taxis gets replaced in November. I'll have a business plan figured out, as well as an exit plan if it doesn't make a profit.

From what I've read on this forum, pretty much no-one who drives for Uber planned out their car logistics properly.

· Premium Member
1,650 Posts
what if the half of the pax you used to pick up on weekends all of the sudden singed up for poober.

what if they realized its better start "making money" going out (poobering) on weekends rather then spending it.

look at that video where taco bell exec punched the poober driver.

check the driver's outfit. he just went out cruzin' picking up hot chicks... he thought...

· Registered
671 Posts
what if the half of pax you used to pick up on weekends all of the sudden singed up for poober.

what if they realized its better start "making money" going out (poobering) on weekends rather then spending it.
I'm already at less than half of the passengers that I used to get previously.

I still do pretty well on weekend nights, but I'm over it. Too boring to sit in the car all night.

look at that video where taco bell exec punched the poober driver.

check the driver's outfit. he just went out cruzin' picking up hot chicks... he thought...
Been there, done that.

March last year (2015). One punch to the face from a drunk passenger. One front tooth knocked out, and the other front tooth is now dead.

12 grand in future dental costs. Lovely.

At least the guy got busted. After initially pleading not-guilty, he plead guilty once his lawyer saw the taxi camera footage.

Smashing good time.

This is the stuff that Uber doesn't tell anyone about. Thanks to the taxi camera footage, there was evidence for the police to use. Without that, the person would have been no evidence for police to act upon.

Knocked out tooth:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.