Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
The math... it has been done..!
Squeeeeeeeeze for extra pennies
The math, it has been debunked... if you're driving around at 25mph thinking you're making more money, you're wrong.

Consider this scenario: There are 8 drivers, each assigned a specific speed to drive for 1 hour. They get a string of 5-mile UberX rides that they handle in succession. They do not need to slow down or stop to let people in and out. Super efficiency.

Driver 1 stays at 10 mph and completes 2 rides (30m each) for $27.68 and 2 tipping opportunities.
Driver 2 stays at 20 mph and completes 4 rides (15m each) for $37.80 and 4 tipping opportunities.
Driver 3 stays at 30 mph and completes 6 rides (10m each) for $47.93 and 6 tipping opportunities.
Driver 4 stays at 40 mph and completes 8 rides (7.5m each) for $58.05 and 8 tipping opportunities.
Driver 5 stays at 50 mph and completes 10 rides (6m each) for $68.18 and 10 tipping opportunities.
Driver 6 stays at 60 mph and completes 12 rides (5m each) for $78.30 and 12 tipping opportunities.
Driver 7 stays at 70 mph and completes 14 rides (4.29m each) for $88.43 and 14 tipping opportunities.
Driver 8 stays at 80 mph and completes 16 rides (3.75m each) for $98.55 and 16 tipping opportunities.

You are much better off driving faster and completing as many trips as possible to take advantage of the base fare and tipping opportunities.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The math, it has been debunked... if you're driving around at 25mph thinking you're making more money, you're wrong.

Consider this scenario: There are 8 drivers, each assigned a specific speed to drive for 1 hour. They get a string of 5-mile UberX rides that they handle in succession. They do not need to slow down or stop to let people in and out. Super efficiency.

Driver 1 stays at 10 mph and completes 2 rides (30m each) for $27.68 and 2 tipping opportunities.
Driver 2 stays at 20 mph and completes 4 rides (15m each) for $37.80 and 4 tipping opportunities.
Driver 3 stays at 30 mph and completes 6 rides (10m each) for $47.93 and 6 tipping opportunities.
Driver 4 stays at 40 mph and completes 8 rides (7.5m each) for $58.05 and 8 tipping opportunities.
Driver 5 stays at 50 mph and completes 10 rides (6m each) for $68.18 and 10 tipping opportunities.
Driver 6 stays at 60 mph and completes 12 rides (5m each) for $78.30 and 12 tipping opportunities.
Driver 7 stays at 70 mph and completes 14 rides (4.29m each) for $88.43 and 14 tipping opportunities.
Driver 8 stays at 80 mph and completes 16 rides (3.75m each) for $98.55 and 16 tipping opportunities.

You are much better off driving faster and completing as many trips as possible to take advantage of the base fare and tipping opportunities.
Oh ya, I do agree, but I don't qualify cause I'm an east bay ant..
Therefore, I take most rides I can and complete them ASAP.
I am picky though

8,663 Posts

Lol.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts

Sorry, but that's not a very good analysis. Too many arbitrary assumptions.

Try driving 80 mph for one hour while doing 16 pickups and drop offs. We'll drop by the morgue to discuss your results.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Sorry, but that's not a very good analysis.

Try driving 80 mph for one hour while doing 16 pickups and drop offs. We'll drop by the morgue to discuss your results.
It's a perfect analysis. It removes all the things you can't control about rideshare and shows speed is more valuable than time, all things being equal. Its not meant to be taken literally. I forgot this is the internet and apparently I need to state that :banghead:

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
It's a perfect analysis. It removes all the things you can't control about rideshare and shows speed is more valuable than time, all things being equal. Its not meant to be taken literally. I forgot this is the internet and apparently I need to state that :banghead:
Yeah but S.H.I.L.L. (Uber's segregated driver manipulation operation) want drivers believing they'll make $$$ sitting in FiDi gridlock at base.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
A "perfect" analysis? Ah... no. Not even close.

First of all, drivers don't have that much choice about driving speed, except within a very narrow average speed range. Average driving speed over the course of a day is going to range between 15 mph and 30 mph mostly depending on the number of long rides you get. You'd have to control for a variety of other factors you don't even mention in order to come up with a rational analysis.

Besides that (but related), higher average driving speed is going to correlate with fewer rides, not more. So there you have your assumptions completely inverted.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
A "perfect" analysis? Ah... no. Not even close.

First of all, drivers don't have that much choice about driving speed, except within a very narrow average speed range. Average driving speed over the course of a day is going to range between 15 mph and 30 mph mostly depending on the number of long rides you get. You'd have to control for a variety of other factors you don't even mention in order to come up with a rational analysis.

Besides that (but related), higher average driving speed is going to correlate with fewer rides, not more. So there you have your assumptions completely inverted.
Congratulations on completely missing the point of the post. Twice. Well done!

Drive slow to piss them off. Shared last time we waited 5 min to cancel our third stop. Lol. I told them it's 5 min wait now
What is the point? Make others miserable because you are?

·
Registered
262 Posts

The ONE thing terribly wrong with your examples are the fact that the cheap paxholes don't tip which takes that element out of the equation.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
First of all 25 mph is the speed limit in most all of the city. However, most of us go a bit faster than that.
Why would we go slow to try to earn more money? Makes no sense to me, keep it moving, do more rides. I have little patience for gridlock traffic or slow moving traffic so I definitely will not be going extra slow to milk more money out of each ride.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Congratulations on completely missing the point of the post. Twice. Well done!
No. I'm not missing the point. I'm telling you that your methods don't effectively make the point you're trying to claim.

What is the point? Make others miserable because you are?
I'm probably one of the least miserable people on this forum. The point is, when you're wrong, you're wrong.

Here's where you muck it up: The way you're estimating numbers of rides per hour is irrational. There's no basis for it. Even if you take a range that reflects reality for average speed (~22mph) you're claiming a number of rides that doesn't match reality. You're assigning something close to 5 rides per hour to that rate, whereas in reality we do something between 2.5-3 rides per hour. And there is no justification for saying a slower speed would result in fewer rides and a faster speed would result in more rides.

Reactions: IR12

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
The ONE thing terribly wrong with your examples are the fact that the cheap paxholes don't tip which takes that element out of the equation.
You mean they don't tip you...

I'm probably one of the least miserable people on this forum.
That wasn't even directed at you...

The entire question of this thread is should you keep your speed down to 25 mph on purpose to make more money. The facts are that regardless of the ridiculous rate structure currently employed, you should not purposely drive slow to squeeze pennies out of a ride. You should complete as many rides as possible because of the base fare added to each ride and potential tips. Slowing down and extending trips reduces your earning potential. The reason for the comparison chart is to show that without the 'reality' of what we can actually do - to show it's more important to take more rides, which would require getting to the drop-off as quickly/efficiently as possible. If you're screwing around driving slow thinking you're making more money, you're wrong. Do you dispute that? Thanks for contributing to the thread.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You mean they don't tip you...

That wasn't even directed at you...

The entire question of this thread is should you keep your speed down to 25 mph on purpose to make more money. The facts are that regardless of the ridiculous rate structure currently employed, you should not purposely drive slow to squeeze pennies out of a ride. You should complete as many rides as possible because of the base fare added to each ride and potential tips. Slowing down and extending trips reduces your earning potential. The reason for the comparison chart is to show that without the 'reality' of what we can actually do - to show it's more important to take more rides, which would require getting to the drop-off as quickly/efficiently as possible. If you're screwing around driving slow thinking you're making more money, you're wrong. Do you dispute that? Thanks for contributing to the thread.
Why wouldn't they tip me? I have a perfect 5.00* rating after almost 5900 trips. How about you? What's your rating since you think you have such good service????? I want to know your rating let us see, prove it that you provide such great service. Idiot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The facts are that regardless of the ridiculous rate structure currently employed, you should not purposely drive slow to squeeze pennies out of a ride. You should complete as many rides as possible because of the base fare added to each ride and potential tips. Slowing down and extending trips reduces your earning potential.
I would agree with that. I just don't agree that your analysis demonstrates that, specifically because you include too many irrational variables. What I would also say the OP is incorrect thinking they can even have affect on earnings with their driving speed. You're pretty much dictated by surrounding traffic for your driving speed. Driving much slower or much faster than other traffic carries significant risks that could cost you far more than any pennies saved.

I think this issue comes up because previously there was a discussion about whether the most recent rate changes were a pay cut or not. Mileage was cut but time was increased. We demonstrated that at any average driving speed below 22 mph the new rates were an increase rather than a cut. ...And 22 mph is probably close to what the average driving speed is in the bay area.

Reactions: IR12
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.