Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove a couple of riders to bradley . they told me that during the snowstorm, while trying to get a ride, an airport official told them either Uber has been or will be banned from the airport. Has anyone else heard anything or had problems picking up?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Where do you get this information? I doubt they'll ban Uber from the airport. I heard some information that will work against them if they ever did that. Maybe the security guards are just tired of chasing people out or the cab companies are just bitter.

G

·
The problem is we(drivers) cause the problem. The security guys get aggravated then take it out on us because they get frustrated. Maybe we could cordinate (find areas we aren't as bothersome as pulling up)and help police ourselves by communicating with the cops and airport authority to be close by yet out of the way. My guess would be things could turn around for drivers pretty easily.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I emailed Connecticut Airport Authority inquiring and got the following response:

The BDL Uber policy is to be determined at this time. BDL does have a cell phone lot on Light Lane for vehicular holding while waiting for arriving passengers to exit the terminal for curbside pick-up. This is your best mode of operation at this time. Thanks.

Brian L. Baik

So yes, we can pick up there. Just wait in the cell phone lot to get pinged to avoid any issues with Security.

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I used to drive for Uber and picked up at Bradley I would always do the following:
1st. Find out if arriving rider has carry on only. If they do I encourage them to walk strait out of security area - don't take escalator down. Walk strait to the D&D Keosk and take a quick right and immediate left right outside of Departures. Virtually no cars there and your rider's walk is shortened.

#2- tell the rider that you'll have your flashers on

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I emailed Connecticut Airport Authority inquiring and got the following response:

The BDL Uber policy is to be determined at this time. BDL does have a cell phone lot on Light Lane for vehicular holding while waiting for arriving passengers to exit the terminal for curbside pick-up. This is your best mode of operation at this time. Thanks.

Brian L. Baik

So yes, we can pick up there. Just wait in the cell phone lot to get pinged to avoid any issues with Security.
i have a feeling you'd be hard pressed to even get a ping sitting in cell lot. always drivers staying as close to baggage area who will get pings first

·
Registered
365 Posts
After reading this,I too reached out to Brian, he has respectively suggested we use the lot. I told him about the alleged actions of the U.S Murphy Security employee. He informed me that Rowando Phio is in charge of the service and direct that concern to him.
I chose to do this because BDL MATTERS to me. I live here in town and can usually sit at home and get pings.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After reading this,I too reached out to Brian, he has respectively suggested we use the lot. I told him about the alleged actions of the U.S Murphy Security employee. He informed me that Rowando Phio is in charge of the service and direct that concern to him.
I chose to do this because BDL MATTERS to me. I live here in town and can usually sit at home and get pings.
You get airport pings from home? If yes, what does that say about trying to sit by arrivals island. Do you think it's better to be as close to the airport as possible without actually being on the property ? Sometimes I wonder how the app works there. One time I was pumping gas off airport property and got a ping to pick someone up. The rider was standing at arrivals island right next to another uber driver I've seen before. He looked so confused to see me pick rider up when he was parked right next to her. It got me thinking maybe the app bypasses drivers who hang out there

·
Registered
365 Posts
Just like the rest of us, I have tried every angle @ BDL trying to find the best " spot" and I determined it didn't seem to give me an answer where that would be.
Truly my only concern here is to have the airport available to us because it's a huge bonus in where to get trips. Last I checked we are one of nineteen airports left in the country.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was in Suffield at the new CVS and got pinged to pick up a rider at BDL. I'm not so sure being in an illegal area is the best option folks. I'll take my chances in an approved area rather than piss off Security.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
since my last post i had an airport ride. the pax said the driver he requested first never showed up. he was very close by but never moved. he started and ended the trip on pax. during my ride i told pax you can complain to get that $5.45 back, since it may be a driver who doesn't care and may be gaming system to make min fares off people. before my ride was over and before he had a chance to complain he got an email from uber refunding the ride. i said uber may be watching that driver. Pax said the driver had a 3.X rating and drove a Toyota Corolla.

by the way i got the ping just as i was approaching arrivals island closest to taxi stand. I wasn't even going to stop cause security was scaring everyone away. i get ping and pax is standing behind security guard. i pulled up, he jumped in and i was gone. i got lucky. he was only going to downtown hartford anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Right? Our area is certainly not hurting for drivers. It's not over saturated, but a 3⭐ driver? I would deactivate them immediately. Sheesh. Glad you got the ride JaniceCT !!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Interesting. I got pinged about 2 months ago on rt 20 heading from Granby. Wasn't planning on going to the airport, but picked up the pax (experienced) at arrivals and he told me normally the ride is right there. I checked and there were plenty of lurkers around. Maybe it's my sparkling personality...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ghost cars at Bradley, perhaps. I suspect there are less drivers there than we're led to believe. The surrounding area has been lit up yellow and red quite frequently lately.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i sit in the cell phone lot all the time and get pings for the airport. I call the rider and we lay out the best way for me to pick them up and bam, easy peasy. I never sat at the lot for more than 10 minutes without getting a ping. Even when there are other cars sitting at arrivals on the rider ap, i will get a ping over them. so who knows... but i do know i don't want to piss BDL off to the point where they regulate us on the fast track to permits

·
Registered
200 Posts
i sit in the cell phone lot all the time and get pings for the airport. I call the rider and we lay out the best way for me to pick them up and bam, easy peasy. I never sat at the lot for more than 10 minutes without getting a ping. Even when there are other cars sitting at arrivals on the rider ap, i will get a ping over them. so who knows... but i do know i don't want to piss BDL off to the point where they regulate us on the fast track to permits
Do you mind if I ask what your rating is? It's long been suspected that there is more to the algorithm than geography.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts