Uber Drivers Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think your confusion comes from outdated info. But since you weren’t able to do you own research, I’m happy to help. Heres a great article that not only explains why there is no transmission or gear box, but goes a little into what a transmission does, and even ends with the specific the specific misunderstanding you posted about older Tesla Model S (pre 2016)

“EVs only have/need a single-gear – or at least, this was true for the vast majority of electric cars made in the past decade. As a result of this, a transmission system is not needed in an electric car. And since there’s no transmission, there’s no transmission fluid required in an EV either!”

Hope this clears up your misunderstandings… I’m sure you’re not the only one with inaccurate and outdated information. Feel free to follow up with any questions or apologies. ;)
It's a performance rear motor and drive unit from a 2015-2016 Tesla Model S P90D, similar to the one used in the 2017-2020 P100D. I'd consider last year "current."

Advanced Transmission states Tesla has a 1-speed transmission.

From the article you linked: "The Telsa Model S, X, and 3 actually have gears in the front and rear motors."
and: "Model S contains a form of gearbox which contains transmission fluid, hence the Tesla service checklist PDF says that the transmission fluid needs changing at the 12 year – or 150k mile – mark. And some people on the Tesla forums have even said they’ve been advised to change the transmission fluid at the 1 year – or 12.5k mile – mark instead."

Those are direct quotes from your article, so somehow you missed that there's a gearbox that holds the gears and lubricant and other stuff. And that the Tesla Service Checklist shows Transmission fluid.

InsideEVs shows the Tesla gearbox and oil filter. The lubricant it uses is Dexron 6, which is Automatic Transmission Fluid, though it's being used as gear oil in this case.

I did find your 17-parts comment on GreenMatters, it's a bit misleading for those who don't know how the gearbox works, or that gears even exist. Clearly if one looks at the pictures, they do.

Regardless, there is a gearbox, with gears, and lubricant. Very simple, very obvious. If there's a different drive system being used on some models, show it to me, I'll be happy to take a look at their new technology.

Meanwhile, here's other gearbox video (the gears connected to the universal joint are pictured):

·
Read Only
741 Posts
Yikes, I went back and fact checked and you are spot on
Thanks, I usually am. Also note that fleet owners, in worst case scenarios of constant supercharging to 100%, are still seeing 500K miles.

Yeah but you lose your car for a month (hopefully you have rental car replacement)
That’s really a temporary issue, Tesla doesn’t take longer to repair, in fact because of the very limited number of moving parts repairing a Tesla takes a lot less labor than an ICE vehicle. The current long repair time are just a price of their success as more and more hit the road the supply chain for repair hasn’t caught up yet.

you are more likely to get totaled as they get older.
True with any vehicle, and not necessarily a bad thing one way or the other.

Resale value on them is very high right now but that will not always be the case.
I disagree, resale value stays high with quality products… look at Mercedes. If anything, it may go up as more and more people switch to electric the market for use electric vehicles will grow.

·
Read Only
741 Posts
Regardless, there is a gearbox, with gears, and lubricant. Very simple, very obvious. If there's a different drive system being used on some models, show it to me, I'll be happy to take a look at their new technology.

Meanwhile, here's other gearbox video (the gears connected to the universal joint are pictured):
No, there’s not? Did you even watch the video? Read the title. It’s single speed so there’s no gears and no transmission. Just the motor itself! Are you OK?

Pre 2016 Model S was different, though not much.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looking at the real-life battery statistics, and more importantly the warranty, the batteries should last 120,000 miles, probably 200,000 or more, which is a huge improvement.

No, there’s not? Did you even watch the video? Read the title. It’s single speed so there’s no gears and no transmission. Just the motor itself! Are you OK?

Pre 2016 Model S was different, though not much.
The motor attaches to a reduction gear-box. The gears are shown throughout the video and in the cover image, and fit inside the gearbox, clearly show in the both videos I linked and the article you linked to. The presenter clearly describes the parts and purposes.

On a side note, a "fixie" bike has only one gear ratio (single-speed), yet it has gears.

Perhaps you're just trolling, though I've given you the benefit of the doubt since many people aren't familiar with how Tesla single-speed reduction gearboxes work.

Regardless, the oil (lubricant) and filter require replacement at some point, as do many other parts, similar to other cars.

·
Read Only
741 Posts
Looking at the real-life battery statistics, and more importantly the warranty, the batteries should last 120,000 miles, probably 200,000 or more, which is a huge improvement.
More trolling… who would buy a car that lasted only 120K miles?

“the Model 3 battery modules have a minimum life span of 1,500 charge cycles, which translates into approximately 300,000+ miles (standard range/standard range, plus option) and, up to 500,000 miles (long-range variants), so basically they last forever.”

You read that right. The Tesla LR models have a MINIMUM battery life of 500K and there are many reports of much more.

Next year, new battery models should easily do a million miles!

·
Registered
121 Posts
You don't have your direct from Elon hopeful expectations correct, much less the real-world data which diverges from his optimism.

When someone comes out with relevant information I listen and admit I missed something when it happens. It's called "learning." You should try it.

·
Read Only
741 Posts
When someone comes out with relevant information I listen and admit I missed something when it happens. It's called "learning." You should try it.
OK Boomer. Your lack of comprehension doesn’t mean it’s “not relevant”. Facts are facts.

Sorry this new fangled stuff is so confusing!

·
Read Only
741 Posts
If you can afford a Tesla, wouldn't your time be better spent applying for better paying jobs?
Not sure who you’re talking to or what you mean?

I have a Tesla, and Uber is the perfect side hustle for me. I have my own business and don’t have a “job” or want one. I don’t depend on Uber money, but it’s fun and profitable… easily pays for the car in my spare time. If you’re working for Uber full time, then I agree, find a better gig!

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Any money you make with uber could easily be made and then some working for yourself otherwise without the wear and tear on your car.

·
Read Only
741 Posts
Any money you make with uber could easily be made and then some working for yourself otherwise without the wear and tear on your car.
That’s true. But being inside all day not seeing people is boring. Everything isn’t just about money, at least it’s a hobby that pays for itself. I don’t drive enough for any wear and tear… and in a Tesla it costs nothing. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
121 Posts
OK Boomer. Your lack of comprehension doesn’t mean it’s “not relevant”. Facts are facts.

Sorry this new fangled stuff is so confusing!
Your argument has degraded to name-calling; perhaps when you grow up, if you grow up, you'll understand basic mechanics, like what gears are and how they work.

I agree with @circuitsports, if you were at all successful at running your own business you'd be too busy doing that to keep trolling here. Instead of running RS you'd be at meetings.

·
Read Only
741 Posts
Your argument has degraded to name-calling; perhaps when you grow up, if you grow up, you'll understand basic mechanics, like what gears are and how they work.

if you were at all successful at running your own business you'd be too busy doing that to keep trolling here. Instead of running RS you'd be at meetings.
So just to be clear, you’re accusing me of “name calling” in the same post that YOU suggest, without evidence, that my business must not be successful if I have the time to respond to you? You don’t see anything wrong with that?

That’s weird on so many levels, not the least of which is that success is exactly what gives us the freedom to do what we want, even if it happens to be trying to educate people on Reddit.

This isn’t about me, and it’s not about you. You’ve made some false statements, presumably because you don’t understand how electric motors work, that needed to be cleaned up. So let’s stick to the facts:

A Tesla doesn’t have a gearbox, a transmission, or require transmission/gear fluid replacements (since pre 2016). Tesla motors have a single speed, are sealed, and do not require any maintenance. This is pretty easy to verify, even the video you posted confirms it.

Do you still believe that a modern Tesla has gears and or transmission that require fluid changes, and if so, based on what evidence? If not, then just admit your misunderstanding.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The 2020 still uses a lubricated reduction gearbox. If you think the motor is directly connected to the wheels, show me.

·
Read Only
741 Posts
The 2020 still uses a lubricated reduction gearbox. If you think the motor is directly connected to the wheels, show me.
Show me where and how I need to change fluid EVER in a permanently sealed system on a Tesla Model 3/Y. You keep saying, without any evidence, that it must changed.

“like any differential fluid the gearbox fluid needs changing“

Prove your assertion. I’ll wait.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
I am not going to say it must be changed.... but it can be serviced.

·
Read Only
741 Posts
I am not going to say it must be changed.... but it can be serviced.

Progress! So you admit when you said “like any differential fluid the gearbox fluid needs changing“ that you were wrong?

61 - 80 of 81 Posts