Uber Drivers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Tes. I've been driving my 2016 Model X 90D in L.A. since the first week of January. Seems like I bring down a very consistent $25/ hour online on average. The free supercharging makes it actually profitable. The wow factor of the Falcon Wing doors makes for very impressed riders. I'm approaching 300 rides with a perfect 5.00 stars record and a bunch of compliments. I accept UberX/Pool and Select requests. People feel like the won something when I pull up.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I can make that in a Prius or Minivan by doing multiple gigs. I guess I have a different take. You don't deserve a ride in a Tesla if you are paying pool or X rates and I won't disgrace the car by picking your cheap ass up. My focus is catering in the morning, other delivery gigs in the afternoon and uber/lyft only if there is surge. To each his own, but I do understand how people get excited when they paid nothing and get a ride in a $100k car. After car payments and depreciation, value of your time, I would argue with the profitable statement. Even if you paid cash, that money could have been in an investment earning more than your depreciating asset. They are nice cars, I miss my P90D X and P85D S, went away with divorce filing. Next car will likely be an escalade, denali or suburban on Black Suv platform, still open where I live and plenty of demand.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
You
Driving a Tesla for rideshare is like Kate Upton showing up for a $20 rub and tug.
You could have said the same thing about Prius 10 years ago. They were rare and expensive. Fast-forward a decade, and they are the most popular rideshare car. The money talks, and if you are driving full-time rideshare miles, then they are cheaper to drive.

Electric vehicles (today) are rare and expensive (only 1 in every 50 new cars sold). But the cost per-mile of electricity is 1/3 to 1/4 that of gas (more like 1/2 compared to a Prius). There is no engine or transmission wear comparable to a gas car. For most normal EV drivers, a set of brake pads last the life of the car because most of the braking is done by the motor/generator. The big wear items on an electric vehicle are tires, CV joints and suspension, which are just like any car.

I think over time, we'll see that money wins, just like it did with the Prius. Driving an EV for rideshare full-time may only save $1k-$2k/year on gas versus a Prius today, so doing 3 years of rideshare in a Prius is still cheaper than doing rideshare in an eletric car for 3 years. I'd bet that a used 30kwhr electric will be within $3k of a used Prius within 2 years (especially as all the new electrics have 60kwhr+). I'd bet that in 10 years, some electric car will be the new Prius. Probably not a Tesla, but some electric.

BTW, I think if you're looking at 300k+ miles (like a taxi fleet), then electric is already cheaper. Both on gas, and also on repairs. But nobody "plans" to do rideshare full-time for 6 years straight, so we don't look at 300k miles.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
You

You could have said the same thing about Prius 10 years ago. They were rare and expensive. Fast-forward a decade, and they are the most popular rideshare car. The money talks, and if you are driving full-time rideshare miles, then they are cheaper to drive.

Electric vehicles (today) are rare and expensive (only 1 in every 50 new cars sold). But the cost per-mile of electricity is 1/3 to 1/4 that of gas (more like 1/2 compared to a Prius). There is no engine or transmission wear comparable to a gas car. For most normal EV drivers, a set of brake pads last the life of the car because most of the braking is done by the motor/generator. The big wear items on an electric vehicle are tires, CV joints and suspension, which are just like any car.

I think over time, we'll see that money wins, just like it did with the Prius. Driving an EV for rideshare full-time may only save $1k-$2k/year on gas versus a Prius today, so doing 3 years of rideshare in a Prius is still cheaper than doing rideshare in an eletric car for 3 years. I'd bet that a used 30kwhr electric will be within $3k of a used Prius within 2 years (especially as all the new electrics have 60kwhr+). I'd bet that in 10 years, some electric car will be the new Prius. Probably not a Tesla, but some electric.

BTW, I think if you're looking at 300k+ miles (like a taxi fleet), then electric is already cheaper. Both on gas, and also on repairs. But nobody "plans" to do rideshare full-time for 6 years straight, so we don't look at 300k miles.
No you couldn't the Prius never was an 50k+ car. As a matter of fact a lot of Tesla's are closer to 100k. It's cheaper to buy a corvette than a Tesla, very poor comparison.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Lux / Select is not necessarily high class premium. Just a "nicer" car. As of
Now Uber I've read does not classify model 3 on select
None of Tesla cars can be considered as a lux cars. Have you set inside? Most of Japanese economy sedans feels a lot more premium.
It's fairly new thing that's why it's kinda wow effect, but after a week feels like it's just cheaper to drive.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
No you couldn't the Prius never was an 50k+ car. As a matter of fact a lot of Tesla's are closer to 100k. It's cheaper to buy a corvette than a Tesla, very poor comparison.
Tesla sells $100k+ cars. Toyo/Lexus sells $100k+ cars. Not all cars from either company cost $100k.

You've got a point that the 1997 base Prius MSRP was $20k ($31,490 in 2019 dollars). Tesla 3 base MSRP is $36,200 in 2019 dollars. So Tesla is indeed 15% more expensive than the Prius was then. Today, I would only save about $1.3k/year driving 50k miles/year (Tesla vs Prius), so the Prius is still $3k cheaper over 3 years and 150k miles.

I'm saying that rideshare drivers doing 50k/year miles will continue to pick whatever used car is the cheapest to drive 150k miles in (purchase price minus resale price, plus maintenance, plus fuel). I'm also pointing out that late-night TV hosts used to mock Prius owners as crazy hippies, and now the Prius the most common car among the 2 million US uber drivers... because we just need to make money. Who would have guessed?

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Tesla sells $100k+ cars. Toyo/Lexus sells $100k+ cars. Not all cars from either company cost $100k.

You've got a point that the 1997 base Prius MSRP was $20k ($31,490 in 2019 dollars). Tesla 3 base MSRP is $36,200 in 2019 dollars. So Tesla is indeed 15% more expensive than the Prius was then. Today, I would only save about $1.3k/year driving 50k miles/year (Tesla vs Prius), so the Prius is still $3k cheaper over 3 years and 150k miles.

I'm saying that rideshare drivers doing 50k/year miles will continue to pick whatever used car is the cheapest to drive 150k miles in (purchase price minus resale price, plus maintenance, plus fuel). I'm also pointing out that late-night TV hosts used to mock Prius owners as crazy hippies, and now the Prius the most common car among the 2 million US uber drivers... because we just need to make money. Who would have guessed?
Tesla 3 is +40k, they really did want to make that 35k goal but it didn't pan out. I wish they would've made that 35k goal too because Tesla's would've become more common place bringing the cost of production further down.

Yea I do remember all the Prius jokes and before that ,see the plastic "jap" car jokes in movies pre 90's. Tesla's a different animal though it's hard to laugh at that 0-60 and winged doors.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
It’s actually not bad, no maintenance, free charging everywhere, and customers tip better in nice cars!
Tesla is a shit car to do rideshare in, and their is nothing “nice” about them, other than the tech. The interior is shit. Paxholes don’t know how to open the doors, and the back seat is smaller than a Prius. How it qualifies for Comfort on Uber, and Lux on Lyft, is beyond me.

Just so you don’t embarrass yourself….here’s MY proof…..where’s yours?
Brown Rectangle Wood Font Tints and shades

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
Quick story . There were 5 over priced tesla sitting at a charge station . People are inside there cars and outside.
It was 95 outside . They paid 5 times as much as my car. I pay 10 bucks gas i will be good to go for 110 miles enjoying my ac. Burr its cold . Look at those tesla idiots lol. charging there cars sweating there balls off .
Tesla is a car you buy so you can say you own a tesla. Or that 500 apple watch . same as a 30 dollar watch .
Smart people sit in the hot humid heat charging there cars lmao lol ! Enjoy your toy car. Tesla cant drive across the state . Better bring a long extension cord to charge it .
Also i wonder why they did not just charge there cars at night home .

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Ive been Ubering for 3 months now....twice a week, to the gym from work. I use the feature of the App that allows you to put s destination and get riders towards there. Almost always works out!

I drive a Tesls Model S and riders are always happy and curious. We usually discuss tesla and the car along the way, and folks always have lots and lots of questions. Also, as I mentioned in another thread, my tip rate is now around 60% of the rides! Usu as ll between $8 and $12. Love it. Oh and my rating is still 5.0 which I appreciate greatly.

So, any other Tesla drivers here? What's been your experience?
Just wait 'till your Tesla gets it's puke initiation. Trust me, it'll happen regardless of where, or when you drive!

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Quick story
You revived a 2 1/2 year old thread for that??

Unrelated to your post.... as a kid my neighbor's father used to chastise him by saying, "Son, why don't you keep your mouth shut and let people just think you're stupid, rather than opening it and confirming it beyond all doubt."

Reactions: Bork_Bork_Bork

·
Read Only
741 Posts
Quick story . There were 5 over priced tesla sitting at a charge station . People are inside there cars and outside.
It was 95 outside . They paid 5 times as much as my car. I pay 10 bucks gas i will be good to go for 110 miles enjoying my ac. Burr its cold . Look at those tesla idiots lol. charging there cars sweating there balls off .
Tesla is a car you buy so you can say you own a tesla. Or that 500 apple watch . same as a 30 dollar watch .
Smart people sit in the hot humid heat charging there cars lmao lol ! Enjoy your toy car. Tesla cant drive across the state . Better bring a long extension cord to charge it .
Also i wonder why they did not just charge there cars at night home .
Your post is a little confusing, but I generally charge for free at a city charger at night. By charging for free, Ubering is even more profitable. Plus no oil changes, no tune ups, no emissions, its pretty great. If I did need to go to a Supercharger, it’s about $10 for almost $300 miles.

The most confusing part in your post is about people sitting in the heat? Tesla has great air conditioning (technically a “heat pump”) so why would anyone be hot? Doesn’t make sense.

By the way I drove mine to Aspen last January… no problems driving across the state and several other states!

·
Read Only
741 Posts
Just wait 'till your Tesla gets it's puke initiation. Trust me, it'll happen regardless of where, or when you drive!
I’ve driven part time for five years never had anyone puke, but I don’t drive at night. If someone did puke, I’d think it be easier to clean, because it’s not leather?

·
Read Only
741 Posts
Tesla is a shit car to do rideshare in, and their is nothing “nice” about them, other than the tech. The interior is shit. Paxholes don’t know how to open the doors, and the back seat is smaller than a Prius. How it qualifies for Comfort on Uber, and Lux on Lyft, is beyond me.
I agree, the Tesla isn’t particularly luxurious. There’s no leather or wood or anything… all plastic. The seats are pretty comfortable though. I like it because I get free charging which makes it more profitable and because there’s no maintenance… and because with all that power it’s fun to drive. But you’re right, it’s not that luxurious, and you do have to tell people how to open the door. 🤷‍♂️

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
You revived a 2 1/2 year old thread for that??

Unrelated to your post.... as a kid my neighbor's father used to chastise him by saying, "Son, why don't you keep your mouth shut and let people just think you're stupid, rather than opening it and confirming it beyond all doubt."
Lol, he’s been posting like a madman……from out of the blue. Some crazy shit too, such as this one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Someone here once said, "Pukers are always your fault."

(Come to think of it, I think it was @PukersAreAlwaysYourFault ) 🤣

Bring a small trashcan--with a liner.
...and vomits all over the front of his shirt.

He looks up, eyes bleary and bloodshot and says, “My wife is gonna kill me, she told me not to drink so much.”

The bartender asks, “Do you have a twenty dollar bill?”

The guy responds, “Yeah, but how’s that gonna help me?”

Bartender says, “Take the twenty, fold it up, put it in your breast pocket, and when your wife sees you tell her someone puked on you and gave you twenty bucks to pay for the dry cleaning.”

The guy thinks it’s genius and gets himself prepared then stumbles home, as no rideshare driver will have him.

When his wife greets him as he enters she’s livid, but he calmly pulls the money out of his shirt pocket and says to her, “Don’t worry honey, it wasn’t me, I just had one or two, someone at the bar was having a bad night and threw up on me. He gave me twenty dollars for dry cleaning.”

His wife looks at the bills in his hand and says, “But that’s forty dollars...?”

The guy says, “Yeah well he shit in my pants too.”

21 - 40 of 81 Posts