Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...im new on the forums and new to uber as well. I have been driving for 1 week.

I need a little help in regards to my drivers rating because i's stressing me out. I obviously started with a 5 as a new driver and this first week it has been up and down like crazy.

Currently my rating is a 4.67 and dropped from 4.71 since yesterday. I would consider myself to be very professional, i text all my clients upon arrival, i start trips only when rider is in the car, i always provide cold water bottles, and i stick to using my gps and never had any riders complain about the route i take.

Almost every time a rider leaves my car they tell me how great i was and that they hope to get me as their driver again. I always rate them a 5. However i cant figure out what is making my rating so low?? I only had 1 indian woman tell me i was driving too fast so perhaps she rated me low, but the rest, no clue? I had another indian woman talk down to me like she owns me because she wanted me to make an illegal uturn instead of following the gps and making a legal turn..clearly bec of the 1 extra half mile it would have added... those are the only 2 situations where i felt tension.

So i feel hopeless..how on earth do people maintain good ratings? Even after being 100% confident that all my clients who left my car yday were going to rate me a 5 and feeling secure about that, i find my rating lower.

Sigh

Is this normal? I heard on the forums that uber kicks off low rating drivers and im nervous that happens to me. Anyone can give me advice or tell me about their similar experience? Thank you!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ps- In regards to my car, i drive the nicest luxury uberx in my area. Its a luxury suv but cant register it as a black bec well, its not black lol. So clearly its not the car...and my passengers get giddy to roll up to their bars and clubs in it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ps- In regards to my car, i drive the nicest luxury uberx in my area. Its a luxury suv but cant register it as a black bec well, its not black lol. So clearly its not the car...and my passengers get giddy to roll up to their bars and clubs in it.
Why aren't you driving SUV then? UberX rates with an SUV are gonna leave you in the welfare line.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I hate to say it, but working in the service industry makes you realize certain things about people - whether it's negative or positive. Driving in NJ, where a great number of my passengers are Indian, I find a lot of them to be fussy and demanding. It's in their culture to look down on those who service them. What else do you expect from a culture that's still hung up on the caste system? My solution is to avoid these areas that are primarily Indian immigrants (namely, Edison/Iselin area, Newark Ave in Jersey City, and all of South/North Brunswick). Sometimes when I drive through these areas, I turn off the app altogether. It's quite a shame that by doing so, you're making it inconvenient for those that ARE nice, but alas - it's the terrible ones that ruin it for everyone else.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't worry about the rating. It'll come up if you keep working.

And stop providing water bottles; you're wasting your money.
The bottles cost me 2.99 for 35 bottles from bjs so its not bad... and the pax appreciate the gesture so i hope they remember it when they come to rate.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Another word of advice, if you feel tension between you and any passenger, don't feel bad to rate them 3 stars or less. Yes, they may leave you a bad rating but at least you'll never have to drive them again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hate to say it, but working in the service industry makes you realize certain things about people - whether it's negative or positive. Driving in NJ, where a great number of my passengers are Indian, I find a lot of them to be fussy and demanding. It's in their culture to look down on those who service them. What else do you expect from a culture that's still hung up on the caste system? My solution is to avoid these areas that are primarily Indian immigrants (namely, Edison/Iselin area, Newark Ave in Jersey City, and all of South/North Brunswick). Sometimes when I drive through these areas, I turn off the app altogether. It's quite a shame that by doing so, you're making it inconvenient for those that ARE nice, but alas - it's the terrible ones that ruin it for everyone else.
I agree 100%. I hate to say it but if an Indian is paying you for a service (particularly a woman paying me, another woman) she feels like she owns me and can boss me around. It's frustrating.... and i dont drive in those areas, i drive in monmouth county but somehow still ended up with 2 this past week.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Bec its a sport 4pax suv..no 3rd row.
What kinda mpg? I get 30-35 in my Mazda 3. I wouldn't imagine doing Uber getting less than that. 50+ on Prius or those types seem the ideal situation. Most economical.

Between driving an SUV and providing water bottles you might be losing money doing Uber ;)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I’m 4.6 hahaha

I don’t sweat it. I get everyone to their destination on time and CHEAP. So I don’t want to hear any pax ***** and moan about missing an exit or whatever.

Tell them to take a taxi( if they could get one) and pay three or four times the amount.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kinda mpg? I get 30-35 in my Mazda 3. I wouldn't imagine doing Uber getting less than that. 50+ on Prius or those types seem the ideal situation. Most economical.

Between driving an SUV and providing water bottles you might be losing money doing Uber ;)
20mpg and i fill up 93. Yes its pricey but the area i work in all fares run 10-15 minimum....so far its not bad at all.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hi everyone...im new on the forums and new to uber as well. I have been driving for 1 week.

I need a little help in regards to my drivers rating because i's stressing me out. I obviously started with a 5 as a new driver and this first week it has been up and down like crazy.

Currently my rating is a 4.67 and dropped from 4.71 since yesterday. I would consider myself to be very professional, i text all my clients upon arrival, i start trips only when rider is in the car, i always provide cold water bottles, and i stick to using my gps and never had any riders complain about the route i take.

Almost every time a rider leaves my car they tell me how great i was and that they hope to get me as their driver again. I always rate them a 5. However i cant figure out what is making my rating so low?? I only had 1 indian woman tell me i was driving too fast so perhaps she rated me low, but the rest, no clue? I had another indian woman talk down to me like she owns me because she wanted me to make an illegal uturn instead of following the gps and making a legal turn..clearly bec of the 1 extra half mile it would have added... those are the only 2 situations where i felt tension.

So i feel hopeless..how on earth do people maintain good ratings? Even after being 100% confident that all my clients who left my car yday were going to rate me a 5 and feeling secure about that, i find my rating lower.

Sigh

Is this normal? I heard on the forums that uber kicks off low rating drivers and im nervous that happens to me. Anyone can give me advice or tell me about their similar experience? Thank you!!
There is nitging you ca-n do about it. Dame with me. After the first 2-3 weeks my rating went down to 4.64 and I consider myself a good driver. ( I drive my own cab in the past in Europe). My rating is steady for about 10 months and it stay btwn 4.71-4.75. I do the same thing like in the beginning. My car is clean, is 2014 model, i dress casual and clean, my car always smells good, ( air freshener & my cologne ) open doors when older lady or pregnant , etc. The only thing that I will suggest for you to keep a good rating is to ask the rider if they preferre a specific route. Is very important. Many riders complain to me about other Uber drivers that they take inefficient routes so that is a 4 star rating or less. Don t talk with the rider if the pax is not the talking kind of if rider just want to browse his/her phone. If the rider is in the mood to talk then fine but if not DON T bother. I love to talk with pax but only 50% of them are in the mood of chatting. don't try to push a conversation with the female riders because they believe this you are hiting on them and that is not professional at all. You will be fine. We all have been throug the rating anxiety at one point. Good luck and Uber on. Of course you will help with language if any.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Uber will NOT stop the abusive and flawed driver's rating system unless all the drivers agree to rate all the riders 1 star, no matter what.
I am sure that some rider deserve all the respect and to be rated more than 5 stars but, we as drivers have to put some pressure on Uber's psychological abuse

·
Registered
275 Posts
There is nitging you ca-n do about it. Dame with me. After the first 2-3 weeks my rating went down to 4.64 and I consider myself a good driver. ( I drive my own cab in the past in Europe). My rating is steady for about 10 months and it stay btwn 4.71-4.75. I do the same thing like in the beginning. My car is clean, is 2014 model, i dress casual and clean, my car always smells good, ( air freshener & my cologne ) open doors when older lady or pregnant , etc. The only thing that I will suggest for you to keep a good rating is to ask the rider if they preferre a specific route. Is very important. Many riders complain to me about other Uber drivers that they take inefficient routes so that is a 4 star rating or less. Don t talk with the rider if the pax is not the talking kind of if rider just want to browse his/her phone. If the rider is in the mood to talk then fine but if not DON T bother. I love to talk with pax but only 50% of them are in the mood of chatting. don't try to push a conversation with the female riders because they believe this you are hiting on them and that is not professional at all. You will be fine. We all have been throug the rating anxiety at one point. Good luck and Uber on. Of course you will help with language if any.
I don't know if uberGAL really needs the advice about not hitting on female passengers. I mean, maybe she swings that way, huh?

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I agree 100%. I hate to say it but if an Indian is paying you for a service (particularly a woman paying me, another woman) she feels like she owns me and can boss me around. It's frustrating.... and i dont drive in those areas, i drive in monmouth county but somehow still ended up with 2 this past week.
So tonight, I drove this Indian lady (or should I say bytch) and 2 of her friends who basically thought 10 minutes was too far and told me to hurry up. Two starred her and thought I'd never see her again, but then her friend requests a ride a couple hours later to go back home. Gave them a piece of my mind, even though it'll probably ding my rating. It was strangely liberating though! Told them to not ever tell a driver to hurry up cause it's not worth a speeding ticket to make $4 and no tips (and I know she doesn't tip cause I have driven her a couple times before). She just said sorry and left. If I stop her from saying hurry up to another driver, I know I have done my job.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
This help my rating go back up from 4.5 to 4.8 and climbing, I put a sign on the back seat that says:

[ UBER'S RATING POLICY

FOR DRIVERS
5* stars is a pass
4* stars or less is a fail
Please keep in mind that drivers with a 4.6 rating get terminated.
Please rate appropriately

FOR PASSENGERS
Yes! PASSENGERS get rated too, just ask me about yours and I'll happily tell you.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Have a wonderful day. ]

Also I don't pick up pax with 4.6 or below unless that 4.6 is really close 2-3 minutes max, and at the end of every trip I finish it by telling the pax "I'm giving you 5* stars today have a nice day"

Break the ice at the start of each trip by saying good morning how are you today "insert name here" and after a couple of minutes I ask them if they are headed to work then I look at the time and add the lenght of the trip to calculate at what time they start work, now here comes the tricky part they will either start talking like parrots or they'll just give you a yes or no which means that they are not in the mood to talk in this case I just stay quiet and take them to their destination asap, I give them the "I'll give you 5* speech" and off I go to the next pax.
I don't give out water or candies, but I have mini water bottles for personal use and if there is a long trip and I feel thirsty and they see me drinking the water then I may share with them if they are cool pax,
One more thing is if you are not familiar with the area just ask the pax which way is the best to get them to their destination, or would just prefer me to follow the gps, and I would say that 99% are happy that I'm taking their directions instead of the gps.
Other than these tips just keep your car clean and dress casual, like you would dress if you were going on a date.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts