Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
This article has been updated and corrected. This is not the first case, but at least the 4th, with Barbara Anne Berwick and 2 other SoCal drivers receiving benefits. What is so important that the EDD approach with pointed questions.
I think this case is more important than the others because it proves Uber RETALIATES against drivers resulting in a loss of income and/or employment.

·
Registered
439 Posts
the 89-question questionnaire says it all . . with each passing question the picture is clearly painted . . Uber drivers are clearly serving Uber . . Uber drivers are clearly employees of Uber
No doubt...It seems like it would be pretty hard to fail it if you drive for Uber. Answer honestly and you will reap the rewards.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
This case speaks to the "Gig", "Shared", economy as a whole. The Company/Controller (i.e. UBER) wants to profit from the Independent Contractor/Server/Provider by separating labor from control. Labor law (especially in California) is very comprehensive and loop-hole free when it comes to an employer-employee relationship. UBER wants to separate in theory, labor from control. Like trying to separate Time from Space. Not going to happen. They say, "We're a Technology/Software provider. We're not a cab service." But, as can be seen in the lengthy questionnaire, UBER has an explicit employer/employee relationship with its' service providers. Examples: Provide UBER with your legal documents to work (DMV license, DMV registration, insurance). Provide personal information (name, age, address, SSN, phone numbers, email) to conduct a background check. Perform according to OUR 5-star rating system to remain on the platform or be de-activated (terminated at will). And produce OUR revenue before we pay you, etc. So, UBER drivers, my advise is to just make as much money as you can for the next year and then just move on. ---LADriver.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Somebody help me understand this. Uber doesnt pay unemployment insurance, at least not for drivers. But drivers are getting benefts. Who is paying this money to the driver?
Uber has misclassified their drivers. They will be responsible for all the back taxes owed

1 - 20 of 223 Posts