Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

If I take on a hiring of a vehicle from a recognised Uber vehicle solutions and have it for a month or 3 am I only allowed to drive it on Uber business or can I use it for other PH companies? I am sure it has been asked before but I couldn't find a thread and I know you all know the answers..... :)

Toyota Prius, Vauxhall Insignia or Honda insight which one?

·
Premium Member
8,060 Posts
There is no supid question mate. Only answer.

To rent a vehicle is money down the drain. To rent Prius or Insight would cost you inc of insurance around £1000 per month.

Anyway, answer to your question. Yes. You can use it to work for who ever you find more busy.

I've mentioned it few times here, some month ago I've helped my mate go independent as he was driving for yrs company cars.

Buy low.

We went and bought Ford Mondeo 2.0tdci 11reg, 4yrs and 7mnths old for £4700 and is was within 5yrs PVH registration law.

If something goes wrong, he can always sell it quick, parts r cheap, he can rent it......

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no supid question mate. Only answer.

To rent a vehicle is money down the drain. To rent Prius or Insight would cost you inc of insurance around £1000 per month.

Anyway, answer to your question. Yes. You can use it to work for who ever you find more busy.

I've mentioned it few times here, some month ago I've helped my mate go independent as he was driving for yrs company cars.

Buy low.

We went and bought Ford Mondeo 2.0tdci 11reg, 4yrs and 7mnths old for £4700 and is was within 5yrs PVH registration law.

If something goes wrong, he can always sell it quick, parts r cheap, he can rent it......
Thanks, I live near LHR and a few reputable companies here as well in the Richmond area. I also have a few ex colleagues who chauffeur and I have a Merc E350 Which I could use to do high end work if needed....just a though. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,060 Posts
Thanks, I live near LHR and a few reputable companies here as well in the Richmond area. I also have a few ex colleagues who chauffeur and I have a Merc E350 Which I could use to do high end work if needed....just a though. Thanks
If ur thinking of using ur Merc for Uber, u'll be driving with loss coz anything under £1.80 per mile is loss. I have E220cdi new shape.

If you stick to ur local Richmond ph office or offices u'll be better off believe me.

Advantage is driving a nice car for local office. U get repetatvive customers and tips. And your jobs will not be £3.70.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If ur thinking of using ur Merc for Uber, u'll be driving with loss coz anything under £1.80 per mile is loss. I have E220cdi new shape.

If you stick to ur local Richmond ph office or offices u'll be better off believe me.

Advantage is driving a nice car for local office. U get repetatvive customers and tips. And your jobs will not be £3.70.
No I was thinking of trying Uber in a Prius or similar, see how it works stay in the areas I know well and see what happens. I would use the Merc for the Richmond are, just need to find some decent companies that don't work you to the bone as I say I have another income so it's not a desperate thing.

I have time at home now in the week. My partner works as a teaching assistant and we obviously have to take hols in school time. Visiting her mum who lives in Southern Europe is expensive then so a top up is always handy. I am at home doing a OU degree and pottering in the garden and home. I see PH drivers all parked up in our road in Teddington, I assume they are waiting for something... hahaha

·
Premium Member
8,060 Posts
No I was thinking of trying Uber in a Prius or similar, see how it works stay in the areas I know well and see what happens. I would use the Merc for the Richmond are, just need to find some decent companies that don't work you to the bone as I say I have another income so it's not a desperate thing.

I have time at home now in the week. My partner works as a teaching assistant and we obviously have to take hols in school time. Visiting her mum who lives in Southern Europe is expensive then so a top up is always handy. I am at home doing a OU degree and pottering in the garden and home. I see PH drivers all parked up in our road in Teddington, I assume they are waiting for something... hahaha
Well then, good luck. You r being overambitious running 2 cars, 2 PH&R insurance policy (£3000 pa aprox).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well then, good luck. You r being overambitious running 2 cars, 2 PH&R insurance policy (£3000 pa aprox).
Well as I say I am just juggling in my mind, Uber for a few months, then maybe put the feelers out locally.

Can you get comprehensive any car PH&R insurance to allow you to drive any vehicle that is TFL approved?

I agree no question is stupid just the non asked question and some answers.

Thanks

·
Registered
676 Posts

I think the best way to test the water is to rent a car for a month or two,
Working with uber a 12 hour shift max take home will be £100-120
If you think you can buy a Prius and insure it for that then go for it
Insurance for PCO is minimum £4000 for new driver

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the best way to test the water is to rent a car for a month or two,
Working with uber a 12 hour shift max take home will be £100-120
If you think you can buy a Prius and insure it for that then go for it
Insurance for PCO is minimum £4000 for new driver
Thanks for the reply.
I really don't want to buy a prius, we would end up with 4 cars in the family and thats a bit rubbish. We have the Mercedes really for the long journeys we do visiting family here in the UK and then we drive to Albania once a year to visit my partners mother and that is over 3k journey return alone without the holiday mileage.

As for insurance the hired ones come with insurance, does that count towards no claims bonus? I really dont fancy laying £3-4 k for insurance then just making £200 a week the maths don't really add up on that one.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I really don't want to buy a prius, we would end up with 4 cars in the family and thats a bit rubbish. We have the Mercedes really for the long journeys we do visiting family here in the UK and then we drive to Albania once a year to visit my partners mother and that is over 3k journey return alone without the holiday mileage.

As for insurance the hired ones come with insurance, does that count towards no claims bonus? I really dont fancy laying £3-4 k for insurance then just making £200 a week the maths don't really add up on that one.
Some companies are offering new Toyota Prius with insurance for £225 per week with £700 deposit minimum 3 month contract
You're right make about £200 a week after expenses unless you work 80-90 hours then maybe take home £350

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some companies are offering new Toyota Prius with insurance for £225 per week with £700 deposit minimum 3 month contract
You're right make about £200 a week after expenses unless you work 80-90 hours then maybe take home £350
would be interested to know where these companies are. I have seen them for 265 and 3 months hire. One on my old ground seemed fairly reputable "Open Start"

·
Registered
184 Posts

yes ,, waiting for the peanuts , which have been spread out there by BOJO's mayorality

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

That £200 a week is what most get, if you don't drive for over 40hrs a week.

·
Registered
676 Posts
would be interested to know where these companies are. I have seen them for 265 and 3 months hire. One on my old ground seemed fairly reputable "Open Start"
This £225 offer is from a company who operate from uber office
That the best price I've seen for a new Prius
Rent it for 3 months get a feel for it

·
Premium Member
8,060 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Any hire car that is coming with fleet insurance, and ur just named driver, does not count towards ur bonus.

U can transfer ur bonus to ph&r but won't help u much as you'll need to provide info of how long u'll doing ph.

As of renting, try as cheap as possible, Insignia, Passat, Mondeo....they r usually around £100 without insurance per week and try not to get stuck in 3 mnths rental contract.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This £225 offer is from a company who operate from uber office
That the best price I've seen for a new Prius
Rent it for 3 months get a feel for it
Well where would I get that info or is it on their site, I may be being stupid.....
I crack for 3-4 months, then on hols for 5 weeks (Partner is in teaching and have mum abroad :) ) and back for more city fun

1 - 20 of 22 Posts