Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read different types of scams and frauds that are happening out there but I haven't read any like what happened to me not so long ago.
Basically the pattern goes like this: When you arrive at the destination they ask you to change the address (which is odd considering that they can easily do it from their phone), they'll do this whole dance about how somebody else order it for them and the person that requested is busy or whatever so "they can't change it from their phone". They'll change it to a non existing address, the second it's changed the trip it's cancelled and they'll have access to all your information in your Lyft driver app as well as your Lyft pax app, in some cases even your Apple ID and god knows what else. I was desperate enough to fall for it since it was my first trip in 2hs but lucky enough to realize that something was going on before they even got on the car. I run a virus scan on my phone while I was reporting it to Lyft, TLC and police the second they got out while I was seeing them do it to other drivers.
They were only able to use my checking's for one trip while I was on the phone with the bank but it could've been worst.

If you see a "cancelled trip fee" you already been hacked, so you should log out of Apple ID, start calling banks, Lyft support, change passwords on EVERYTHING and if possible set alerts for Equifax, Experian or any credit report entity that you use to set up alarms in case they use your information to request credit cards, loans, etc.
My guess is that they go around doing it back to back to get as many information as they can and days later they figure out how to stab you in the back like the total scum this people are.
I was driving for Lyft at the moment and I'm not sure if they do it on Uber as well but nevertheless beware of this particular pattern, it's phishing.
Hopefully my bad experience helps somebody from this forum before more of us gets screwed out there, be safe people!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NO I DID NOT GAVE MY PHONE TO ANYBODY, they try to convince me to do that for 2 minutes before the trip was cancelled. The minute the trip was cancelled I got an alert from my phone antivirus stating that my phone could've been compromised I DO NOT KNOW IF THEY WERE ABLE TO STEAL MY APPLE ID but I decided to change passwords from everything regardless.
From what they explained to me at the Lyft hub your pax account is linked to the drivers app so they get access to your pay info from your Lyft pax and your phone gets hacked thru the Lyft pax account. That's how the access my credit card to pay for other cancelled trips, next day at the Lyft hub they recommended me to do the same thing I did: change passwords of everything even if I never even logged into those accounts thru my phone.
My bottom line is that if you get a trip with this "change the address ~ we didn't order the ride" pattern don't even hesitate to avoid to start it and cancel it immediately and if you get suspicious Lyft cancelled trips charges you're already compromised. In my 4 years driving I heard many phishing scams but I never heard of anything like what just happened to me and that's why I contacted everyone as soon as the antivirus alert popped out.

2hs waiting since it was my first trip in over 6 months without working, causing me to lose driving priority if that's still a thing. Happens every time I go on vacation or take a break for studies.

I'm not even going to reply to the projecting negative comments since they're irrelevant to the post, there's so much psychological projection in this comments insecurities are easy to see, clear as water.

I only posted this with the hope of helping other drivers since I saw them do it back to back to other drivers while I was on the phone with my Bank explaining what was happening. But if you choose to judge and make fun of my bad experience do your thing, I already did my part sharing my experience with the hopes of do some actual helping.

Premium Member
NO I DID NOT GAVE MY PHONE TO ANYBODY, they try to convince me to do that for 2 minutes before the trip was cancelled. The minute the trip was cancelled I got an alert from my phone antivirus stating that my phone could've been compromised I DO NOT KNOW IF THEY WERE ABLE TO STEAL MY APPLE ID but I decided to change passwords from everything regardless.
From what they explained to me at the Lyft hub your pax account is linked to the drivers app so they get access to your pay info from your Lyft pax and your phone gets hacked thru the Lyft pax account. That's how the access my credit card to pay for other cancelled trips, next day at the Lyft hub they recommended me to do the same thing I did: change passwords of everything even if I never even logged into those accounts thru my phone.
My bottom line is that if you get a trip with this "change the address ~ we didn't order the ride" pattern don't even hesitate to avoid to start it and cancel it immediately and if you get suspicious Lyft cancelled trips charges you're already compromised. In my 4 years driving I heard many phishing scams but I never heard of anything like what just happened to me and that's why I contacted everyone as soon as the antivirus alert popped out.

2hs waiting since it was my first trip in over 6 months without working, causing me to lose driving priority if that's still a thing. Happens every time I go on vacation or take a break for studies.

I'm not even going to reply to the projecting negative comments since they're irrelevant to the post, there's so much psychological projection in this comments insecurities are easy to see, clear as water.

I only posted this with the hope of helping other drivers since I saw them do it back to back to other drivers while I was on the phone with my Bank explaining what was happening. But if you choose to judge and make fun of my bad experience do your thing, I already did my part sharing my experience with the hopes of do some actual helping.
Some parts of your story wasn't making sense to us so we're trying to understand. I don't think anyone is trying to make fun of you and we only asked if you gave them the phone because of how you worded it.

Registered
None of it makes any sense....

2hs waiting since it was my first trip in over 6 months without working,
Successfully collecting unemployment...My friend is out of the country for 3 month at the time, and it looks like he has more pings than I do...So, your thing about losing priority (you never had any, why should you) is not true.

Premium Member
I read different types of scams and frauds that are happening out there but I haven't read any like what happened to me not so long ago.
Basically the pattern goes like this: When you arrive at the destination they ask you to change the address (which is odd considering that they can easily do it from their phone), they'll do this whole dance about how somebody else order it for them and the person that requested is busy or whatever so "they can't change it from their phone". They'll change it to a non existing address, the second it's changed the trip it's cancelled and they'll have access to all your information in your Lyft driver app as well as your Lyft pax app, in some cases even your Apple ID and god knows what else. I was desperate enough to fall for it since it was my first trip in 2hs but lucky enough to realize that something was going on before they even got on the car. I run a virus scan on my phone while I was reporting it to Lyft, TLC and police the second they got out while I was seeing them do it to other drivers.
They were only able to use my checking's for one trip while I was on the phone with the bank but it could've been worst.

If you see a "cancelled trip fee" you already been hacked, so you should log out of Apple ID, start calling banks, Lyft support, change passwords on EVERYTHING and if possible set alerts for Equifax, Experian or any credit report entity that you use to set up alarms in case they use your information to request credit cards, loans, etc.
My guess is that they go around doing it back to back to get as many information as they can and days later they figure out how to stab you in the back like the total scum this people are.
I was driving for Lyft at the moment and I'm not sure if they do it on Uber as well but nevertheless beware of this particular pattern, it's phishing.
Hopefully my bad experience helps somebody from this forum before more of us gets screwed out there, be safe people!
That only works if u give them your phone. Um not you can't have my phone. Either call them to change it or get the faxk out

First of all lyft is trash people still drive for them. And second them must be some geek squad ass m#@[email protected] that scammed you like that. shit still doesn't make sense but anything possible these days.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
None of it makes any sense....

Successfully collecting unemployment...My friend is out of the country for 3 month at the time, and it looks like he has more pings than I do...So, your thing about losing priority (you never had any, why should you) is not true.
Well you seem to know more about my life than myself brother props to you maybe next time you should write my own experiences.
That only works if u give them your phone. Um not you can't have my phone. Either call them to change it or get the faxk out
First of all lyft is trash people still drive for them. And second them must be some geek squad ass m#@[email protected] that scammed you like that. shit still doesn't make sense but anything possible these days.
I swear to god I didn't hand my phone to anyone. Last time I'm addressing this since NYC seems to be immune to advice and I'll just quote the tech girl from the Lyft hub "Both lyft driver apps have one of the most vulnerable coding I ever worked with, my 3 year old son could do a better job as the CTO".
You either read this and stay alert of a pattern like this when you out there driving or you ignore it and move on idk why it's gotten so deep for some people here.

Why does everyone seem to understand what happened to me more than myself? I was just trying to help people out here but once again I learned that New York is immune to advices.

Premium Member
Well you seem to know more about my life than myself brother props to you maybe next time you should write my own experiences.

I swear to god I didn't hand my phone to anyone. Last time I'm addressing this since NYC seems to be immune to advice and I'll just quote the tech girl from the Lyft hub "Both lyft driver apps have one of the most vulnerable coding I ever worked with, my 3 year old son could do a better job as the CTO".
You either read this and stay alert of a pattern like this when you out there driving or you ignore it and move on idk why it's gotten so deep for some people here.

Why does everyone seem to understand what happened to me more than myself? I was just trying to help people out here but once again I learned that New York is immune to advices.
Maybe some want to ridicule you, but majority want to learn from your experience.
I for instance can't comprehend how were they able to get all that information by you changing the address and having possessed the phone.
Can you please be more specific in that regard.
Thanks

Registered
girl from the Lyft hub "Both lyft driver apps have one of the most vulnerable coding I ever worked with, my 3 year old son could do a better job as the CTO".
These people from hubs are indeed a real rocket scientists...I would put from little to zero trust in what they have to say.

Premium Member
They tried to convince u for 2 minutes to hand your phone to them. (you said u didnt)

So how in your words did they "change the address"? Was it through the person they claimed ordered the trip?

Or did they say **** it once u got suspicious and pulled out THEIR phone an changed it?

Or did u change the address through your Lyft drivers app?

At one point there were dudes who wouldn't even do this much talking....they would take a drivers phone by force

1 - 16 of 16 Posts