Uber Drivers Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well, first of all you are exaggerating...not everyone lives off the government. It's just being talked about a lot. The vast majority of people are hard workers just trying to provide. And you'll bring yourself down, be resentful, and let eat you up inside if you believe otherwise. There are a few people abusing the system, but the vast majority are not. Don't let it affect you. We live a wonderful country where those who truly can't provide for themselves can get assistance. I've worked with many, many, many of these people for years and only a small percentage were deceitful.

I sound like you, but it's not lack of motivation. I am 54, I've learned what's important in life, and I find that it takes a lot less to make me happy and bring me joy, mostly family, friends, and my dogs to start with. Then for basic happiness I need to own a house, a decent car, and have internet and cable. And enough money to buy some goodies for myself here and there. I don't care about a lot else. I've learned that if it doesn't bring me joy it doesn't deserve my attention or effort. I think at our age we've also learned to care a lot less about what people think of us and that can sure make a person's life less complicated and less expensive.

It sounds like you've got life figured out. Why work hard for stuff and money that's going to be left behind when you die? If you have the quality of life you're happy with, then you've found the sweet spot. If you're unhappy, that's another problem, but it didn't seem like you said that. Unhappiness plus lack of motivation equals depression....but I don't think you meant that?

I'd make a few extra bucks to take care of the string of STD's you'll get from skanky 18 year old hookers though.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I am pushing 50 now and need advice from the older guys. I'm considering driving uber and I know the pay isn't great but I am at the point where I don't care anymore about stuff, making a lot of money, or working for other people. I want to make enough to pay my 600 rent, netflix, food, and phone. I don't care about dating anymore because I just go to mexico a few times a year and bang a bunch of 18 to 25 year olds for cheap.The thought of sleeping with women my age is horrifying and soul crushing. It beats marriage alimony and divorce lawyers anyday. My Camry is paid off and I have 10 k in the bank for emergencies.

I came across the subject of minimalism on the internet and it seemed to describe me perfectly. Does getting older cause this lack of motivation that I now have. I literally don't give a crap about anything anymore. I see everyone in society now living off the government dole while I worked my butt off the last 25 years.I have decided to be like them and just get by. Am I crazy?
You are thinking of driving for Uber and you are asking if you are crazy?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I am pushing 50 now and need advice from the older guys. I'm considering driving uber and I know the pay isn't great but I am at the point where I don't care anymore about stuff, making a lot of money, or working for other people. I want to make enough to pay my 600 rent, netflix, food, and phone. I don't care about dating anymore because I just go to mexico a few times a year and bang a bunch of 18 to 25 year olds for cheap.The thought of sleeping with women my age is horrifying and soul crushing. It beats marriage alimony and divorce lawyers anyday. My Camry is paid off and I have 10 k in the bank for emergencies.

I came across the subject of minimalism on the internet and it seemed to describe me perfectly. Does getting older cause this lack of motivation that I now have. I literally don't give a crap about anything anymore. I see everyone in society now living off the government dole while I worked my butt off the last 25 years.I have decided to be like them and just get by. Am I crazy?
You can set a Destination Filter to Mexico, flirt with the young coeds in your car, and then bang the hookers. Really it is the best of both worlds.

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
Banging hookers in Mexico is a fine pursuit. I suggest you workout vigorously. You will have to be in shape to scale that wall.
Why go to Mexico?
Just bang the hookers that get into your car!

I concur!

Why go to Mexico?
Just bang the hookers that get into your car!

I concur!
Women in their fifties? Yeah, stay away. Far, far away!!!

Not crazy at all. I am of the same mindset

Not crazy at all. I am of the same mindset.

·
Premium Member
9,887 Posts
Parts of your story I could relate with, excluding the Mexico hookers of course.

I became a minimalist during the recession, when I was long term unemployed. That was a soul crushing experience.

But a good thing came out of it. It helped me realize the latest gadget or a lot of material things wouldn’t make me happy. Now many years later, having less bills and things gives me peace and freedom. Plus, I learned the people who were truly there for me.

I agree with Pax with age you realize what is important. People are what matter. Life always changes, so just do what makes you happy, regardless of what people think.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How many gadgets do u need. I have a android tablet and phone. A samsung 50 inch TV for 400 bucks, a bed, and a couch. When steve jobs met his future wife all he had a was a bed and a table to eat on. He was a millionaire. She ended up furnishing his whole house house with expensive stuff. If he didnt meet her he would probably still have the bed and table only.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
I am 48 years old and think like you. In the end, what do we really need to be happy?! Like you, I am divorced and will never marry again. I never owned a house and probably will never, and I am ok with that. My main focus in making sure my daughter is prepared for the real world. I will help her with her college and help her buy her first home. Myself, I do not need much to live.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I had a coworker that only bought what his needs were. He bought a new truck cash in 2001 and traded it for another new truck(cash) in 2015 when it was unreliable for him. He always bought the base model with role up windows. Only bought shoes until his old pair were falling apart. He never used a/c or heater at home. He finally bought his first cellphone(flip phone) in 2015. We used to joke about him unplugging the fridge before he left for work everyday.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Taxsomotor, Do you feel overwhelmed supporting your lifestyle sometimes.
No, not really, I am just restless like that, I get up at 5:30, I go to bed at midnight. I can't really just sit and relax, I get bored after 10 minutes of inactivity. That is why I am always speeding, and riding dead miles looking for next ping in Uber - I can't just sit still.

But I look at everything as not a necessity, I work by best effort principle. If it worked out - great, if not, it wasn't meant to be. And I teach my kids that they don't need anything to enjoy their lives. The only thing one needs to be happy is to be alive, reasonably healthy, and have a positive attitude.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.