Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that keeping your PAX app on helps create surge. They say that surge is created when pax ride "requests" out strip demand (available drivers), but I think its really the number of pax that just have the rider app open, and are considering making a ride request, that builds the surge. Does anyone know any different?

Reactions: OneDay

·
Registered
128 Posts
No, it does not. Ride Requests are one of the main dynamics in the surge algorithm. I'll try and find the video where Uber executives are showing off their "God View" tool to a group of potential investors. During the dinner, he loads up an active city showing all online drivers and riders. If a rider had the application opened to the map view they showed up as 2 little eyeballs, as in viewing ETAs. All online drivers on the map were shown, even the ones that were on fares. Someone then asked about the drivers that had eyeballs with an X over them. The Uber presenter said that was a driver who had both the Partner and rider app open while online. We already knew that Uber links your driver and passenger profile together. This is why you are not able to change your information on the passenger app, it tells you to visit the partner portal to change Pax information.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
No, it does not. Ride Requests are one of the main dynamics in the surge algorithm. I'll try and find the video where Uber executives are showing off their "God View" tool to a group of potential investors. During the dinner, he loads up an active city showing all online drivers and riders. If a rider had the application opened to the map view they showed up as 2 little eyeballs, as in viewing ETAs. All online drivers on the map were shown, even the ones that were on fares. Someone then asked about the drivers that had eyeballs with an X over them. The Uber presenter said that was a driver who had both the Partner and rider app open while online. We already knew that Uber links your driver and passenger profile together. This is why you are not able to change your information on the passenger app, it tells you to visit the partner portal to change Pax information.
use multiple phones and different accounts

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
yeah that seems like a reasonable approach. spend 100 dollars a month on an extra phone so you can add one more pax to a sea of thousands. You've cracked the code my friend.
Only a moron spends $100/mo for an extra phone ... I pay nothing for extra phones on my account. And to be clear, I was responding to
We already knew that Uber links your driver and passenger profile together. This is why you are not able to change your information on the passenger app, it tells you to visit the partner portal to change Pax information.
and relating that our pax & driver accounts are on different phones.

Albeit, it's a mute point in Austin anyway, as we currently have 12 TNCs (not including U/L who no longer operate here) ... all of the new TNCs pay more than Uber/Lyft, most show the destination before accepting the trip, none have Pool/Line, none penalize you for not accepting the trip you were assigned, most have an in-app tip option, all are much nicer to the drivers ... so frankly, I don't care what works or doesn't work for Uber ... because even in the remote chance they come back to Austin, few, if any, drivers including me will drive for them.

Reactions: Ms.Doe

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
even in the remote chance they come back to Austin, few, if any, drivers including me will drive for them.
Not true, if they come back to Austin they'll come back swiftly with stupid good incentives. And who doesn't like money? "Oh no I'll still drive with GetMe because they're nicer" meanwhile Uber would be throwing money like a VIP in the club at active Austin drivers. Barring no fingerprint checks of course, obviously :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Not true, if they come back to Austin they'll come back swiftly with stupid good incentives. And who doesn't like money? "Oh no I'll still drive with GetMe because they're nicer" meanwhile Uber would be throwing money like a VIP in the club at active Austin drivers. Barring no fingerprint checks of course, obviously :rolleyes:
Well, I doubt that I will. And nicer or not, I doubt that Uber will beat the incentives of some of the new TNCs:
  • $1,000 cash for taking 80 trips - Fasten
  • No driver fees for a month - Fasten
  • 50% rider discount, still pays drivers for 100% - GetMe
  • only 5% commission - GetMe
  • $25/hr for all hours online - Ride Austin *I know several drivers who made $2,000/week and took only 3-4 trips total
And as a multi-billion dollar company ... sure Uber could offer drivers/pax better incentives; but for the most part Uber is a cuss word here. But keep on drinking the Uber koolaide ... I, for one, am not

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Only a moron spends $100/mo for an extra phone ... I pay nothing for extra phones on my account. And to be clear, I was responding to
and relating that our pax & driver accounts are on different phones.

Albeit, it's a mute point in Austin anyway, as we currently have 12 TNCs (not including U/L who no longer operate here) ... all of the new TNCs pay more than Uber/Lyft, most show the destination before accepting the trip, none have Pool/Line, none penalize you for not accepting the trip you were assigned, most have an in-app tip option, all are much nicer to the drivers ... so frankly, I don't care what works or doesn't work for Uber ... because even in the remote chance they come back to Austin, few, if any, drivers including me will drive for them.
Just my guess...
After the Texas legislature passes "modern rideshare legislation" next year following millions of dollars in campaign donations from Uber, Uber will re-enter the Austin market, claiming victory and flood the market with special offers to drivers and riders in an effort to become the top dog in the market. Of course, as soon as they accomplish this, they'll cut out all the incentives. It's how they roll.

IMHO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts