Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a red 2014 Chevy Impala LTZ, leather interior, 15,000 miles, seats 5 (including the driver). I had a pax last night telling me that I could drive for UberSELECT if I wanted to. I thought you needed to have a 6 seating capacity. Could I do Select? And what other platforms could I use for my particular car?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
There is a list but the one I found was dated Januray 1st. But it would be better to email Uber and ask. As far as that list is concerned your vehicle isn't listed from what I saw.
I am on my phone. So won't cut and paste correctly.

I actually have leather/cloth seats with headrest, pull down arm rest w/ cup holders in middle backseat. I get compliments all the time.

Edit: doh was beat to post

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
There is a list but the one I found was dated Januray 1st. But it would be better to email Uber and ask. As far as that list is concerned your vehicle isn't listed from what I saw.
I am on my phone. So won't cut and paste correctly.

I actually have leather/cloth seats with headrest, pull down arm rest w/ cup holders in middle backseat. I get compliments all the time.

Edit: doh was beat to post
I also get compliments on my car and I've been asked at least once if I'm the cheapest option. (They're making sure they didn't choose a higher option.) or more commonly if my car is UberSelect. I sigh and say no, UberX. It's just a well kept Toyota sedan.

·
Banned
62 Posts
My old tahoe ltz qualifies. Honestly I rarely get select fares though. When I do it's typically because x surges so I end up making less than my x "co-parteners". A lot of select riders will cancel too if they see you're in a chevy and not a benz. So I wouldnt fret about not qualifying for select. Even if you did qualify you will be forced to take X fares which will make up 98% of your rides anyway. Select is shit here.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
He
There's a frickin' KIA on there, and my LTZ Impala doesn't qualify?! That's insulting.
Hey now. I drive a kia soul and it has as much legroom as a Passat. I get compliments all the time, along with "there's so much more space than the last uber we were in."

Kia has upped their game. The higher end ones are very nice. Mine is cheap and is awesome.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
He

Hey now. I drive a kia soul and it has as much legroom as a Passat. I get compliments all the time, along with "there's so much more space than the last uber we were in."

Kia has upped their game. The higher end ones are very nice. Mine is cheap and is awesome.
I once got my car towed, well I have had a few tows in my lifetime. But this one the guy was actually friendly, knew English, and really loved his job. So I asked him, what is one type of car you pick up the most. He did was really trying to be professional about it and didn't want to say, but I nagged him a little, and he said "Kia" always a Kia breaking. 70%+ of his tows. "Every part is so small and fragile".

So I vowed to myself to never buy one. You are right though, they are stepping up their game. It's hard not to look.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I drive a red 2014 Chevy Impala LTZ, leather interior, 15,000 miles, seats 5 (including the driver). I had a pax last night telling me that I could drive for UberSELECT if I wanted to. I thought you needed to have a 6 seating capacity. Could I do Select? And what other platforms could I use for my particular car?
He was just complimenting you. I had a rider tell me the same thing once about my Impala. He even went as far to say that he rode in a select once and it was the exact same car. I e-mailed Uber right after that ride and they sent me the list, and I said, oh well. At least the rider was nice.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
I once got my car towed, well I have had a few tows in my lifetime. But this one the guy was actually friendly, knew English, and really loved his job. So I asked him, what is one type of car you pick up the most. He did was really trying to be professional about it and didn't want to say, but I nagged him a little, and he said "Kia" always a Kia breaking. 70%+ of his tows. "Every part is so small and fragile".

So I vowed to myself to never buy one. You are right though, they are stepping up their game. It's hard not to look.
There are still a lot of crappy ones on the road. I used to work with a lady who had a Kia Rio. we called them disposable cars then. but like Hyundai the quality is much improved. I don't know how old you are but when Hyundai came out they were a joke.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
There are still a lot of crappy ones on the road. I used to work with a lady who had a Kia Rio. we called them disposable cars then. but like Hyundai the quality is much improved. I don't know how old you are but when Hyundai came out they were a joke.
Do you think you will be able to get 150,000 miles out of your new one? Any car used for Uber is a disposable one. If you are able to get 150,000 miles out of yours without any MAJOR problems, I will consider buying one to destroy for Uber.

People love to buy prius's for Uber, for the gas, but at 40,000 that is not very economical when you can buy a nice Hyundai now for half the price (given it lasts 150,000 miles). Sure a prius has been known to get over 300,000 miles easily, but in our market, we can only get 150,000 miles. So why not go with a disposable car at disposable price.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also get compliments on my car and I've been asked at least once if I'm the cheapest option. (They're making sure they didn't choose a higher option.) or more commonly if my car is UberSelect. I sigh and say no, UberX. It's just a well kept Toyota sedan.
I drive an Acura TSX, with a black leather interior, similar to what is pictured in my avatar, and pax ask me all the time (again making sure) if I'm uber black. I roll my eyes, say no, and then we launch into a conversation that goes as follows;

pax: Why not?
me: I don't qualify.
pax: why is that?
me: My car isn't on the list. I don't even qualify for select.
pax: Well that's stupid.
me: Yeah, I agree.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now-now-now wait a minute! I just got this email from Uber. Keep in mind, I never sent any query about uberSELECT to Uber support or anything...

"Congratulations! You may qualify to receive uberSELECT requests. Interested? Please read on for details.

Hi, this is Alex from your Uber Houston team. Based on your partner rating and vehicle, you may be eligible to receive uberSELECT requests. If your particular vehicle model is 2013 or newer and has leather interior, please come to our office for an inspection. If you pass our uberSELECT inspection, you will immediately become eligible to receive uberSELECT requests in addition to uberX requests. Rates for uberSELECT are more than double the standard rates for uberX in Houston so don't miss out on this opportunity to significantly increase your earnings!"

Hmmmmm.....

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I received a text from "Alex," the day after receiving my two year TNC license, that my car qualified for Select, even though it wasn't on the list they linked to, but the fact it has leather seats was obvious in the interior pics I uploaded.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts