Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Where are you hanging out?. Maybe you need to check the Uber app for passengers and check where the other drivers are hanging out. When you do then drive to other locations that does not have an overload of drivers. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, the SA market is flooded with drivers, some from Austin and others that figure they can make some money over the summer driving part time. It's slim pickin's out there, not like the days when you could go online on a weekend and get constant pings for hours.

Download the rider app ("Uber" rather than "Uber partner"). You will have to enter some account info, but not a payment method unless you want to use it to request a ride. You will be able to see your car on the map when you are online, as well as the other drivers close to you. You can drag the pin around and look at different areas. This can help you figure out where to go to have a better chance of getting something. I see a lot of cars clustered here and there, so I'm pretty sure they aren't using the app this way. You can also move the slider at the bottom to see where different service levels (X/XL/Select) are concentrated. Tons of X and Select out there but always seems to be a shortage of XL.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Maybe to prove point, I drove Uber for 7 - 10 Sat night, (Sat night's are hot, right?), pretty busy, grossed $8/hour.

I ran the rider app. There were cars everywhere I moved the pin, 6 - 8 cars no matter where I moved by pin in the "golden triangle", between DT and the 1604, and between I10 and I35.

There's reason Uber and Lyft are offering $10 or so to SA drivers to who refer another driver. U/L don't need any drivers in driver-saturated SA.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't think anyone is making a lot of money but something is wrong if you are only making $20 in 8 hours. I usually make around $10 an hour and I only work during the day (people have told me you can make a lot more at night). I've had better luck working later in the day than early morning.

I've only been driving a couple of months and don't know if any areas are better than others. If there is a good spot it wouldn't make sense to spend time driving back to it after every ride. If I don't get a ride soon after dropping a rider off I just stop and wait which means your last drop-off determines where your next pick-up is.

A couple of tips:

Don't drive on the freeways when waiting for a ping. The app will pick the closest driver by time, not distance. So you could be a half a mile from the rider but the next exit is a mile or more away, putting you 5 or 10 minutes away. I spent my first couple of days on the freeways trying to get to what I thought was a busier area and got few rides.

Don't drive around too much eating up your gas, but if you are stopped in one location for too long without a ride (30 minutes or so), move. You might just be in a dead zone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your doing something seriously wrong. My car is on when I have a ride, other than that I'm parked and the car is off. Find your spots and stick to them. I go places with cold water and sit. Do not chase surge, also be willing to work your ass off. I go above and beyond for each customer. The driver builds the brand.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
The SA GetMe city manager said that SA rideshare is badly oversupplied with drivers.

Combined with Uber FARE (not payout) at $0.9o/mile, this means rideshare in SA is a loser's game.

Proof here, that Lyft (and Uber) aren't even trying, don't need to recruit in SA:

https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/214678827

I'm pretty sure Uber's SA driver referral fee is also $10.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Can someone please help me? I need someone who is in San Antonio, TX who actually has had success and a history of making money cause this is ridiculous. I am driving for hours on end and literally have, what one ride that makes me 5 bucks or less? Doesn't matter if I'm driving from 11-8:30 during the week or even on the weekends, I'm literally making jack. Can someone seriously help me in where to go? Ever since Austin got rid of uber, apparently a bunch of drivers came down here and now the market is flooded. Please, I need any kind of help at all. It really bugs me that all the reps said "oh you'll make 500 or more a week" bull***t. I haven't jack, the most I've made from a full 8 hour day was 20 bucks, like seriously, wtf? Am I the only one who is making jack cause every person on this site seems to be sitting comfortably.
Find the apartment clusters, malls, movie theatres, bars, Ect... Get aggressive and pull right up to the door. Heck get out of your car and walk inside if necessary. You are just having a run of bad luck! Use the rider app not just the driver app. That's the only way u can see the other drivers and find the open spots where u should sit and wait for a ping. 2 am is the only sure thing in the business, or perhaps study the airport and find its busiest times when planes land all at once. U can wake up early and turn the app on at home and hope for a ping. You deserve to make more than u are making. This advice will work! I have made over $1000 a week at times myself in a different market. Remember San Antonio is still quite new and will be way better in the coming months and years than now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just started a week ago and let me tell you the first payout was good, yes I may have put quite a few hours because of the new changes and pay decrease (.90/mi.), but for my first payout I was able to make $556 from Wednesday - Monday. I was exhausted but willing to sacrifice in order to reach my goal.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
I have done everything you have said and I am still taking the piss of things. I've literally only made 30$ this whole week and have gone two days now with 0 rides whatsoever. Are you driving strictly at night? Because it seems impossible during the day considering I see 20+ cars in one frigging area in all areas of San Antonio.
That sucks! You may want to cut your losses now. Work friday and Saturday and decide. Those are usually at least $100 to $150 bucks in most cities.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Are you from the San Antonio area? If so have you experienced a decline in rides?[/QUOTE No, but I am surprised by your bad luck. I would only drive when it's busy. Thursday thru Sunday that's the best advice I have for u .
No, but I am surprised that u are not doing better. My best advice is only work when it's busiest.... Thursday , Friday , Saturday, or Sunday. Only work rush hour Monday thru Wednesday if at all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Jon how in the world did you make that? Hell I can't even get one single ride now since school started. There's like a billion drivers out looking at the app, my income has taken a huge nose dive. Are you only working nights? I seriously need someone to help me for DAY TIME driving, like from 11-8 cause I still am not making what you guys are. Idk if it's just me or where I'm at but I'm literally sick of this and am considering quiting uber
Well, I start around 2000hrs-2100hrs on Fridays and end around 0300hrs (easy $100-$120) and usually I get them all along I-10 (La Cantera, RIM and UTSA). You really need to fish, dude. I don't know what you're doing, but just park somewhere around UTSA area and wait to get dinged. Also, you will definitely get riders down town, you just need to park somewhere for the meantime; you will most certainly get long fare rides (easy $20-$30). On Saturday's I'll do a 12hr push, so I'll start around 0800hrs - 1400hrs, take a good 3-4 hrs break and continue around 2000hrs up to 0300hrs. Again, that's most likely $180 payout just for Saturday alone. Now we have Labor Day (Monday), so be sure that it'll be busy with uber riders needing service around the clock.

Patience is a virtue with this type of job, we're in a taxi business (not what uber wants us to be known) and now we know what it's like to feel dead wind with no rides when it comes to taxi cab drivers. If you follow the simple instructions me and a few have given then you won't have any problems. It sounds like you're constantly driving on the freeway. It's ok to do that unless you know the spots you most likely will get dinged.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have done everything you have said and I am still taking the piss of things. I've literally only made 30$ this whole week and have gone two days now with 0 rides whatsoever. Are you driving strictly at night? Because it seems impossible during the day considering I see 20+ cars in one frigging area in all areas of San Antonio.
You can also sign up with Lyft, because most ubers are doing it as well. It's basically another app similar to uber. I have both running at the same time when I am roaming and on the clock and I will most certainly get dinged with either of the two. Lyft and Uber pay on the same day, so this last payout was around $339 with uber and lyft.

·
Registered
107 Posts
dude it's not a loser's game, but you have to be more savvy than willing. just jumping in your car and expecting rides is no way to make money. you need a strategy and you need to be willing to drive at peak times consistently. if you want regular income you need regular customers, too. it's more of a head game than you think. nothing worthwhile comes easy, and the same goes for a good weekly payout.

·
Registered
49 Posts
dude it's not a loser's game, but you have to be more savvy than willing. just jumping in your car and expecting rides is no way to make money. you need a strategy and you need to be willing to drive at peak times consistently. if you want regular income you need regular customers, too. it's more of a head game than you think. nothing worthwhile comes easy, and the same goes for a good weekly payout.
Exactly, dude. Patience along with time and effort. I think some get confused thinking they can make $200 in just 2 hours. The rates have went down, but hopefully they will pick up soon again, but in reality I have been making money and $800-$900 just in 2 weeks is good enough for me. I set a goal and plan when ubering. My goal for just Fri-Sun is $300 and I hit the mark every time. First payout was surprising, because I exceeded over my goal and I was sure happy about that. If I can make that amount anyone can. For people making $1000 a week is because they're doing this for 8-12hrs everyday or more and it is possible. Just 44hrs I made $569 after uber deducted me. If you ask me that's basically a payroll and if I calculated this correctly it was $12.91 per hour. The second payout was $364 which was 26hr 32m worth of work. So, yes, it is definitely worth it and if you're patient enough you will get a lot of rides. At the same time this is all based on your performance and rating.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts