Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there restrictions on pu/drop @ military bases? I've driven military folks before but realized today that I've never actually had a pax go directly to/from an installation, wondering if it's just a coincidence or if they're off-limits to TNC'S for security purposes.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Here in Pittsburgh, cabs would drive people out to the 911th Air Wing in Moon seem-regularly , as well as do pickups out there.

You just had to stop at the guard shack on the way in.

Actually, I also remember a couple of times when drivers got trips paid for by the Air Force to bring folks out there. We would get the calls all evening for trips from the Greyhound station on account, all heading out to the base. Not a bad trip, $25 for a 16 minute trip, all on a limited access highway.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Depends on the base. Ive never had a problem dropping off at Fort Meade long as the passenger showed their military id and i showed mines. At Bethesda Naval they are more strict and always catch an attitude unless the service member gives them grief about it. I always let the passenger know ahead of time they may not let me on base. If im solo and a request comes in from a base then the pass has to meet me outside of the gate no exceptions.

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
I did a pickup at Bethesda. Guard made me pull over to a lot immediately past the gate where the MP gave me the stinkeye the whole.time. I had to call the passenger to come to me. Took longer than the 5 minutes to get to me but I waited.

Turns out they were just going to a restaurant in Bethesda. They were family visiting a wounded soldier getting treatment there. I couldn't really complain upon hearing that and just attributed it to good karma and my doing my little bit to support the troops.

Fort Myer in Arlington is a pain. My experience is they are (understandably) VERY strict on letting anyone on base.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
In all the times I drove never encountered going to a base. Would imagine requests from Bethesda naval are just going into Bethesda. If a guard gave me the stink eye I would tell them I was here to help someone get somewhere so show a little compassion, otherwise they would be walking

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
Helps if you're prior service retired veteran with DOD ID or GS civilian, or contractor. I've picked up inside every installation in this area, if you read Hampton Roads board they harrass Uber drivers at Norfolk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks - I was an army brat growing up so I'd be inclined to try to be helpful, but I don't have any govt/mil credentials, wouldn't want to just wind up wasting everyone's time (including my own).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts