Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me how this makes sense from a business point of view! I decided to try Ubers new overhaul of our fare and destination info feature and every ride but 1 was negative on Ubers fare. Prior to this debacle Uber was making double digits off my rides. What sense does this make to set pax fares at a fixed amount vs. what they were doing before? The driver made money, Uber made money, everyone was happy(well sorta). I can't see this continuing like this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,797 Posts
Tell me how this makes sense from a business point of view! I decided to try Ubers new overhaul of our fare and destination info feature and every ride but 1 was negative on Ubers fare. Prior to this debacle Uber was making double digits off my rides. What sense does this make to set pax fares at a fixed amount vs. what they were doing before? The driver made money, Uber made money, everyone was happy(well sorta). I can't see this continuing like this.
It makes sense. Uber's "buffering" the drivers into the "new" system by going easy on the service fees temporarily.

It's nothing new for Uber. They used to do similar things following their annual (or semi-annual) pay cuts.

Following each pay cut, Uber would proclaim that they were so confident the drivers would earn more, they would offer temporary "guarantees" to the drivers.

That's where the derisive expression "lower rates means higher earnings for our partners" came from.

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
Do you believe those figures they show you?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
If Uber can pervert the market with artificially low prices to the PAX and over pay the drivers they will accomplish the two things discussed nonstop by media over the last two weeks: PAX get cheap rides and drivers come back to fill those requests. There is a time limit, however, due to Uber's 250 million injection will have been spent and the hope is uneducated drivers will stay, PAX will continue ordering rides, & Uber will be able to pocket more of each fare.

This is a bait and switch tactic Uber has used regularly. It isn't working in my area right now and I hope it fails to attract drivers. We drivers need to create leverage that was given away recently with the passage of Prop22. If we can gain the leverage we had then it might generate a better outcome. I am not holding my breath but hope is eternal.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If Uber can pervert the market with artificially low prices to the PAX and over pay the drivers they will accomplish the two things discussed nonstop by media over the last two weeks: PAX get cheap rides and drivers come back to fill those requests. There is a time limit, however, due to Uber's 250 million injection will have been spent and the hope is uneducated drivers will stay, PAX will continue ordering rides, & Uber will be able to pocket more of each fare.

This is a bait and switch tactic Uber has used regularly. It isn't working in my area right now and I hope it fails to attract drivers. We drivers need to create leverage that was given away recently with the passage of Prop22. If we can gain the leverage we had then it might generate a better outcome. I am not holding my breath but hope is eternal.
You're right, and I appreciate your encouragement. I'm against driving but last night as I was sitting in front of the TV debating in my head whether to go weather the storm and see the outcome of the recent changes, it was eating at me and I couldn't take it anymore. Much like a drug addict when they're trying to quit but have to take one last hit. It's very hard to do their 6/10 thing when the next ride that came in would be 25 mIns away. No way I would drive that far not knowing the duration of the trip! I worked from about 0630 to about 2230 and made $148.57 and did 8 rides. Typically would have brought in $250 with 5-6 rides on a Friday night with surge fares. Uber made a decent fare off 1 of my XL rides which they walked away with $22 to my $30 and I even took the long way, the wayyyy long way since the pax were tourists and didn't know the area and they still took home that amount. All that being said it's just not in my money interest to go out anymore with Uber now taking 25%, no dest info, and no more surges. I'm still confused about the surges because everywhere else throughout the country they still offer surges so why take it away from us?! I hope other drivers can hold out and not drive to try and bring change to Uber but I'm optimistic!

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Uber and Lyft (to a lesser degree) are Drug Dealers, they get you used to the product, they get you liking the product, you neglect your car and stop paying for gas, maybe even drop your insurance. When they get you hooked, that's when the shit becomes real and market price goes up...

Reactions: EM1

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
You're right, and I appreciate your encouragement. I'm against driving but last night as I was sitting in front of the TV debating in my head whether to go weather the storm and see the outcome of the recent changes, it was eating at me and I couldn't take it anymore. Much like a drug addict when they're trying to quit but have to take one last hit. It's very hard to do their 6/10 thing when the next ride that came in would be 25 mIns away. No way I would drive that far not knowing the duration of the trip! I worked from about 0630 to about 2230 and made $148.57 and did 8 rides. Typically would have brought in $250 with 5-6 rides on a Friday night with surge fares. Uber made a decent fare off 1 of my XL rides which they walked away with $22 to my $30 and I even took the long way, the wayyyy long way since the pax were tourists and didn't know the area and they still took home that amount. All that being said it's just not in my money interest to go out anymore with Uber now taking 25%, no dest info, and no more surges. I'm still confused about the surges because everywhere else throughout the country they still offer surges so why take it away from us?! I hope other drivers can hold out and not drive to try and bring change to Uber but I'm optimistic!
Since Covid 19 began, there has been little or no surge. And, on average Uber takes at least 30% of the fare and if the fare is under $10 their cut is more like 50%.

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
Last Friday (04/23/21) was the first time I went out and drove without the fare multiplier. It was non-stop ping after ping with minimum fare rides all over a 30 mile range. Then the surge kicked in and was paying out the wazoo ($25 - $27 surge) and I ended with a $50 average for the night... Uber lost a lot with me vs. how much they would make when I had the fare multiplier.

Some of the stats to that Friday...

It took me 16 rides to do what I usually do with 4 to 8 rides! While not bad at $290 for the night the past few months when I drove it would usually be well over $350. 3 rides out of the 16 were cancelled for no show....

My average distance per trip was 2.51 miles
My average time per trip was 5:37 minutes

My average distance to each pax was 1.4 miles
My average time to each pax was 6 minutes

My average fare per ride was $15.73
Average surge per ride was $9.02

The average fare the pax PAID was $13.14!

Average percent Uber got per ride... -28.13%

One particular trip that stands out .77 mile trip that took 2:54. The pax paid Uber $8.20 - Uber paid me $26.99!

The pings were non-stop, pax said left and right it was taking forever if ever, to get a ride. Many of these pax would have gladly paid higher surge rates for a ride.

I didn't drive on Saturday I had other plans.

----

Now for Friday 04/30/21. The Surge Honeymoon IS OVER! Nada. Nothing. Good luck getting a ride because I was getting ping after ping for minimum fare rides and I never left my holding spot for a couple of hours. I was watching the other ants and for the most part they all sat in the same place they were at as well.

I did a couple of rides to the beach and gave up. There was no surge and I will never take a minimum fare ride even if it's close by...

Oh well... it was good while it lasted. Thankfully I don't count of rideshare at all to pay the bills...

·
Premium Member
22,641 Posts
You're doing the Lord's work with this.

·
Premium Member
10,697 Posts
$$ I am so proud of you $$

Keep up the good work

Reactions: New2This

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
Thankfully I don't count of rideshare at all to pay the bills...
I"m going out Monday for first time in 13 months. Shooting for the easy, peasy 3 for $100. Once I got that, going back home.

·
Premium Member
Nissan TreeFiddyZ
589 Posts
Uber had no idea that you drive like a grandma, if they did it would have deactivated you long before the new upfront pricing change

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I dont believe uber is showing actual paid by rider info. When multiplier was still available, I had riders telling me how much uber was charging them - and often it was a heck of a lot more than what the ping quote or final tab shown by uber was. Little uber gaslighting games.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
You and all the funny drivers who think they're gaming Uber, they have the last laugh on you. Where they're 'losing', they're gaining elsewhere. Nevertheless how it irons out, every ride is a profit for them because you're the one putting in the work. How they choose to distribute their profits is on them.

·
Premium Member
10,697 Posts
You and all the funny drivers who think they're gaming Uber, they have the last laugh on you. Where they're 'losing', they're gaining elsewhere. Nevertheless how it irons out, every ride is a profit for them because you're the one putting in the work. How they choose to distribute their profits is on them.
average.jpg

Every businessman can operate as they please. Some of us are more concerned with profit margin than others.

Reactions: Fusion_LUser
1 - 20 of 30 Posts