Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday night.
Pickup from a Mexican restaurant. Order includes alcohol.
They give me the food bag, and say we are making the drink now.
They bring me a plastic cup with a lid, like a soda pop. It was a margarita.
I actually told them that transporting an alcoholic drink like that was probably illegal.
They said, well, if you don't want to, don't take it.

Anyway, I did take it, to avoid all the BS with Doordash support probably not understanding my problem.
I feel it was wrong, and wanted your opinions on this.
Maybe it should have gone in the trunk in a drink holder???

· Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another reason to just say no to alcohol delivery. You are not being compensated for the risks involved. Tony is laughing at all of his booze mules.
I swear, I did not notice any notification stating that the order contained alcohol. I would not have accepted it.
They offer me Supermarket shop and pays multiple times a day, 1 item, good payout, and I reject them all because I do not want to get involved with alcohol.

· Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I’d cancel it. Should require verification. I get that it’s likely watered down, but still.
The issue was not with the customer. He already had his ID out when I got to his house.
I'm referring to the transport of the alcohol, which, being in a cup, my impression is that it would not be considered sealed in a traffic stop.

· Registered
62 Posts
Saturday night.
Pickup from a Mexican restaurant. Order includes alcohol.
They give me the food bag, and say we are making the drink now.
I actually told them that transporting an alcoholic drink like that was probably illegal.

Anyway, I did take it, to avoid all the BS with Doordash support probably not understanding my problem.
I feel it was wrong, and wanted your opinions on this.
Maybe it should have gone in the trunk in a drink holder???

· Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My friend does Dashing. Says they have to take a pic of the drivers license for those. Seems like too much liability and trouble for $8.65
To add to your post, the scanning function in app is simple, when it works, but is also quirky. So, if you are in a dimly lit halway in an apartment building, the scan might not even work because it is too dark.
So you turn on your flash, and it creates a white spot on the ID, which again makes the scan not work. And on and on.
And then, you have to spend a bunch of time manually entering the ID information into the app, while the customer gets impatient.
A lot of problems.

· Premium Member
Difficult. Duchess of Decline, Splendida Sarcasmus
3,294 Posts
The issue was not with the customer. He already had his ID out when I got to his house.
I'm referring to the transport of the alcohol, which, being in a cup, my impression is that it would not be considered sealed in a traffic stop.
Oh, absolutely. Didn’t even occur to me - I almost never have the food/beverage not in my trunk in insulated bags. The only exception being I sometimes deliver a bagel with coffee to a pharmacy 4 doors away from the bagel place in the same mall. That is literally the only delivery I don’t bother putting it in the back.

· Registered
611 Posts
To add to your post, the scanning function in app is simple, when it works, but is also quirky. So, if you are in a dimly lit halway in an apartment building, the scan might not even work because it is too dark.
So you turn on your flash, and it creates a white spot on the ID, which again makes the scan not work. And on and on.
And then, you have to spend a bunch of time manually entering the ID information into the app, while the customer gets impatient.
A lot of problems.
What is really bad is when the customer hands you an ID that was issued in 1986. Scanning doesn't work and because the ID is expired entering the information does work either. Calling support does nothing because they will tell you to return the order to the store. Did a alcohol delivery to a wedding that was like that.

· Premium Member
2,080 Posts
I swear, I did not notice any notification stating that the order contained alcohol. I would not have accepted it.
They offer me Supermarket shop and pays multiple times a day, 1 item, good payout, and I reject them all because I do not want to get involved with alcohol.
Uber is awful about this and that is one of the many reasons why I never do UberEats!

· Premium Member
4,230 Posts
I’d rather transport the liquor to the drunk… instead of transporting the drunk to the liquor or the drunk full of liquor… 🥳

I will not transport open liquor. It must be factory sealed from a liquor store.

If delivery app does not indicate liquor on offer and restaurant says there is liquor on order I would refuse order. Better to be safe than sorry. JMO

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
You should not have taken it. I hate that DD makes it where if a driver has an issue, it becomes the driver's fault and you risk deactivation.

I have a friend that works for the state alcohol control board, who knows many of their counterparts in other states. I would have loved to have this situation fall into my lap. I would have pointed to their license from their state alcohol control board and ask them if they would approve of it. Then take a picture of the drink. Then, I would stop by the local police department and inform the detectives of it. Then call my friend at the control board. After that, wait for the fines and the nasty looks when I go in there again.

The control board does not play. My friend tells me they thrive on ruining a business owner's day who willfully disregards the rules. That business would be in a load of trouble for even suggesting that a DD driver take that beverage in that manner.

· Premium Member
1,248 Posts
How would you get in trouble? As long as you scan the customer’s ID I think you’re covered. Did they put a sticker or seal on the lid
I would think if you get pulled over you could explain to the officer that you’re making a DoorDash delivery.

A few weeks ago my wife and I were eating Mexican food. My wife ordered a Margarita, but it was taking a long time to get it and we were finished eating. So we decided to leave.
I told the waitress we changed our minds and asked it they could take it off the order. Then they brought us a margarita in a to go cup. That surprised me.
A few weeks later we noticed that restaurant was closed.

· Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How would you get in trouble? As long as you scan the customer’s ID I think you’re covered. Did they put a sticker or seal on the lid
I would think if you get pulled over you could explain to the officer that you’re making a DoorDash delivery.

A few weeks ago my wife and I were eating Mexican food. My wife ordered a Margarita, but it was taking a long time to get it and we were finished eating. So we decided to leave.
I told the waitress we changed our minds and asked it they could take it off the order. Then they brought us a margarita in a to go cup. That surprised me.
A few weeks later we noticed that restaurant was closed.
The trouble is not in the customer's ID.
The trouble was transporting an effectively open container of liquor. (In a plastic cup with a soda lid.)
That is the point of this whole thread. If I got stopped.
So the cop would just say, enjoy your margarita?

· Premium Member
1,186 Posts
The trouble is not in the customer's ID.
The trouble was transporting an effectively open container of liquor. (In a plastic cup with a soda lid.)
That is the point of this whole thread. If I got stopped.
So the cop would just say, enjoy your margarita?
Laws concerning "open containers" vary by state but it's unlikely you would get in trouble in most states, unless you have it in your driver's cupholder with a straw in it and you appear to be under the influence.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts