Uber Drivers Forum banner

Should Uber eliminate the delivering of alcohol?

• Yes

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 50.0%
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I have to laugh tough guy!

First off, it would never occur to me that you would ever admit to taking a Walmart ping. I never will and I'm not as discriminating as you.
Second, worrying about all sorts of liability issues, I thought you were a do whatever I want and don't worry about the consequences kind of guy?
Finally: given that there's usually good money in alcohol deliveries (and you shouldn't be taking them iff there isn't) if you follow the procedures, what's the possibility of any repercussions? I'm guessing less than 1 in million.
I accept any delivery tgat pays a minimum if $2.00 p/mike, except booze of course.
In regards to my "do whatever attitude not worried about consequences" I take strategic, calculated risks that at worst may result in deactivation, to which IDGAF. Anything beyond that - not a chance (ie: booze delivery resulting in tragic/illegal circumstances, cops, charges etc)
I leave that for idiots!

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Any driver who willingly accepts them is an idiot.
So Uber expects me to not only verify age via I.D., but also wants me to confirm that the customer is not inebriated, or something along those lines.
Oh yeah, here's the kicker. I really love the disclaimer/warning from Uber to the driver that serving minors and/or those who are inebriated may result in criminal prosecution.
So let me get this straight.
1. As a driver I have never received any training in the serving of alcohol, unlike that of a bartender, liquor store employee etc.
2. I am not an expert in recognizing valid I.D. versus fake I.D.
3. I am not an expert in determining one's state of inebriation/drunkenness.
4. And I'm expected to accept any and all responsibility if something negative should occur from delivering alcohol so I can make like $10.
😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐
'Effffff that BS!
So think about it very carefully. If you as a driver still feel it's worth the risk, go for it. However, if you have any common sense, you'll decline each, and every delivery involving alcohol.
PS: Be carefull of Walmart orders with beer/wine. No upfront warning. Happened to me last week. As I see the case of beer in the cart I told the Walmart employee "Forget it. No way!" Made them unload the groceries and called the customer to make them cancel, informing them why! They were somwhat upset but IDGAF. Blame it on Uber, not me!
Over 85% of voters have agreed with me, that Uber should stop deliveries of alcohol. Thank you! 😎👍

·
Premium Member
9,499 Posts
Over 85% of voters have agreed with me, that Uber should stop deliveries of alcohol. Thank you! 😎👍
Well that just settled it then! If we ask the general population if stores should stop selling hot dogs because they are bad for you and 75% agree, we are done, let's ban hot dogs! Aside from the fact that your poll is meaningless, the correct answer is if you don't want to do them then don't. They make it pretty easy to not get them if you don't want them.

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
your poll is meaningless,
Wrong. More like your arguments are meaningless. Where do hot dogs and deliveries come into the equation? Did my post mention anything about the destructive qualities if alcohol? NO, it didn't. Here's a tip, before debating an issue, understand the issue itself!

·
Premium Member
9,499 Posts
Wrong. More like your arguments are meaningless. Where do hot dogs and deliveries come into the equation? Did my post mention anything about the destructive qualities if alcohol? NO, it didn't. Here's a tip, before debating an issue, understand the issue itself!
I'm sorry, I guess I shouldn't have tried something stupid like an analogy. Let's stick to something more concrete for you. "Alcohol delivery good" to which you reply "Alcohol delivery bad". Again, sorry I'm not up to your level of debate.

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
IF YOU DONT DO ALCOHOL YOU DONT KNOW HOW THROUGH THE ID VERIFY PROCESS IS …I AM TOTALLY PROTECTED WHEN I FOLLOW THE PROCESS…
No you are not! But like I said, take your chances. Further, the notion of being "protected" when referring to Uber, is completely ludicrous.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Any driver who willingly accepts them is an idiot.
So Uber expects me to not only verify age via I.D., but also wants me to confirm that the customer is not inebriated, or something along those lines.
Oh yeah, here's the kicker. I really love the disclaimer/warning from Uber to the driver that serving minors and/or those who are inebriated may result in criminal prosecution.
So let me get this straight.
1. As a driver I have never received any training in the serving of alcohol, unlike that of a bartender, liquor store employee etc.
2. I am not an expert in recognizing valid I.D. versus fake I.D.
3. I am not an expert in determining one's state of inebriation/drunkenness.
4. And I'm expected to accept any and all responsibility if something negative should occur from delivering alcohol so I can make like $10.
😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐
'Effffff that BS!
So think about it very carefully. If you as a driver still feel it's worth the risk, go for it. However, if you have any common sense, you'll decline each, and every delivery involving alcohol.
PS: Be carefull of Walmart orders with beer/wine. No upfront warning. Happened to me last week. As I see the case of beer in the cart I told the Walmart employee "Forget it. No way!" Made them unload the groceries and called the customer to make them cancel, informing them why! They were somwhat upset but IDGAF. Blame it on Uber, not me!
Here is a few issues with your theory, with alcohol delivery, you are responsible that the ID says 21 and look legit, and if the person can complete a sentence. There you have been through alcohol training liquor stores and bartenders take.

As far as providing alcohol to minors, if you look at the ID and you have a doubt about the kid or the ID you don't have to give the alcohol to the person.

The chances are slim that you would be held accountable if you do provide the alcohol. The police would have to contact Uber, and if you did your job of looking at the ID, then the cops can't charge u with a crime.

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Here is a few issues with your theory, with alcohol delivery, you are responsible that the ID says 21 and look legit, and if the person can complete a sentence. There you have been through alcohol training liquor stores and bartenders take.

As far as providing alcohol to minors, if you look at the ID and you have a doubt about the kid or the ID you don't have to give the alcohol to the person.

The chances are slim that you would be held accountable if you do provide the alcohol. The police would have to contact Uber, and if you did your job of looking at the ID, then the cops can't charge u with a crime.
Show me your law school degree so I can take your opinion seriously.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Show me your law school degree so I can take your opinion seriously.
I know this because of real life experience. I worked for several convenience stores, and a pizza place that delivered alcohol. The training is all the same, if u believe the ID and the person isn't slurring words, and isn't walking oddly, you can sell alcohol to them. If you doubt it, you don't. Even if you do, you tell the officer you checked the ID, and you're free and clear of liability... Unless they can prove you never checked the ID, they have nothing on the delivery person. I agree with a previous post you're making mountains out of molehills if you think you're going to jail or fined for doing your job.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
My comment was neutral.

I do not do deliveries. Given Uber's garbage rates and the probability of receiving a parking summons that approaches 1, that alone is not worth the bother. Alcohol and other factors only add to it.

Back in the day when station waggons were large, we had night cab drivers who had mini-bars set up in the back of the thing. They sold drinks for jacked up prices and the people paid.
Best gig work ever!

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I know this because of real life experience. I worked for several convenience stores, and a pizza place that delivered alcohol. The training is all the same, if u believe the ID and the person isn't slurring words, and isn't walking oddly, you can sell alcohol to them. If you doubt it, you don't. Even if you do, you tell the officer you checked the ID, and you're free and clear of liability... Unless they can prove you never checked the ID, they have nothing on the delivery person. I agree with a previous post you're making mountains out of molehills if you think you're going to jail or fined for doing your job.
So you present yourself as a qualified expert in every state regarding alcohol delivery. Look, you have no clue what you are talking about, but don't let that stop you. Please, I encourage you to continue with it.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts