Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The minister has announced some of the details of the intact insurance Uber has to buy for its drivers. The policy covers drivers for one million when you log on and 2 million third party coverage when you have a passenger. Drivers are still responsible for their own collision and comprehensive insurance. No further detail except Uber is now studying it and has to make a decision if they are going to stay in Alberta. Toronto wants more insurance like 5 million by the company and drivers have to have 2 million of their own. It sounds like commercial insurance. Intact will write policy for drivers but no word on cost on the drivers part. or restriction of hours but would assume the more you work the more you pay. The insurance is available 1 July. Uber has yet to comment.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Looks like you will have to have an intact policy with a premium. Probably will be less restrictive then Aviva but the cost will probably be similar to Aviva for most drivers.

·
Premium Member
7,181 Posts
No its a existing uber insurance polic3 with some modifications; I think so it's a win win situation for drivers as driver doesn't have to do any thing: will be covered within the rides not when he is online

·
Registered
265 Posts
No its a existing uber insurance polic3 with some modifications; I think so it's a win win situation for drivers as driver doesn't have to do any thing: will be covered within the rides not when he is online
You are covered if you are Intact customer...If you are with 3rd party I don't Intact will cover you....

It'll cost you an average of $20 per month on top of your regular rate with Intact/Belair

·
Registered
400 Posts
As the news from the horses mouth:
"Every ridesharing driver operating on the Uber platform in Alberta will automatically be covered under this new ridesharing policy provided by Intact Insurance and purchased by Uber."
It sounds like drivers have nothing to do. They are automatically covered by insurance purchased by Uber. I think this is the simplest outcome and really only way to guarantee that pax and drivers are properly covered.

However, the loophole seems to be:
"This covers a rideshare driver's liability to third parties from the moment a driver accepts an Uber trip until its conclusion."

So it sounds like if you are online, but have not accepted a trip and you get into an accident your personal insurance needs to cover your loss/damage. This does not seem right to me. You should at least be covered from the point you went online to the time you go offline.

·
Premium Member
7,181 Posts
"Every ridesharing driver operating on the Uber platform in Alberta will automatically be covered under this new ridesharing policy provided by Intact Insurance and purchased by Uber."
It sounds like drivers have nothing to do. They are automatically covered by insurance purchased by Uber. I think this is the simplest outcome and really only way to guarantee that pax and drivers are properly covered.

"This covers a rideshare driver's liability to third parties from the moment a driver accepts an Uber trip until its conclusion."

So it sounds like if you are online, but have not accepted a trip and you get into an accident your personal insurance needs to cover your loss/damage. This does not seem right to me. You should at least be covered from the point you went online to the time you go offline.
U put it in correct words ;win win situation for everyone; no extra burden on driver

·
Registered
265 Posts
It sounds like drivers have nothing to do. They are automatically covered by insurance purchased by Uber. I think this is the simplest outcome and really only way to guarantee that pax and drivers are properly covered. .
So I assume, if something was to happen - you would call Uber/Intact to make a claim. Your personal Insurance doesn't need to get involved, unless your claiming for other benefits such as loss of income etc...

Makes sense to me....why would Uber/Intact cover you if you are not on Uber ride...

If they did cover you, biggest loop hole would be people driving with the app on, just not accepting rides and make a claim with Uber if something was to happen.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I don't understand this statement. Reading intacts deal, sounds like drivers will have to get intact insurance.

Reading ubers part, it seems like uber will pay for it, doesn't make sense.

Also the third party thing is pure BS. I have a relatively new car, why the **** would I want third party. Also i currently have full insurance

·
Premium Member
7,181 Posts
Grow up third party insurance of 2 million : u your car rider covered under new insurance; what if u hit a guy on the road and he sues u that' covered as welll; now goto sleep

·
Registered
477 Posts
You've read it correctly Superduber, but there are other things to consider.

We'll have to see what the Ontario insurance regulators approve. They may follow Alberta's lead, or look for something all together different.

This same policy in Ontario would mean for Toronto drivers:

Only liability is covered for periods 2 and 3 (en route to pick up passenger, and during trip until drop-off).

Loss or damage to a vehicle coverage is different in Alberta than Ontario. Here it's broken into collision and comprehensive coverages. So there will have to be some Ontario specific coverages her

Coverage for period 1 (logged in, waiting for a ride) would also have to be paid by the driver. Liability, collision, and comprehensive.

City of Toronto new rules clearly stipulate that the driver's insurance MUST expressly know that the car is being used for rideshare.

The only players in that game are still Aviva until others come out with their offerings. So 20 hours max. / week.

Don't expect it to be a whole lot cheaper than what Aviva currently offers either, because they will be covering you for all of period 1, then possibly collision and comprehensive during periods 2 and 3.

Sure hope they come up with something different here. Or all remaining drivers after July 15 will be looking at increased insurance $$$ (unless you're already with Aviva and okay with 20hrs coverage).

·
Premium Member
7,181 Posts
Ontario government concern is only when u r doing ride sharing and that covered ; not other concern when u r alone on the car your personal insurance coversu

·
Premium Member
7,181 Posts
Ontario government concern is only when u r doing ride sharing and that covered ; not other concern when u r alone on the car your personal insurance coversu
Nobody calling insurance ; see no evil hear no evil; don't tell them u do ride sharing ; they will cancel your policy immediately; just eat mangoes don't count them

1 - 20 of 43 Posts