Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
To the point:

What do you all do after dropping off at the airport? I had 6 trips there today ugggg.
You should park near the airport and kill the engine and wait. Common sense will tell you that if people are going to the airport to catch a plane then it figures that there is a plane on the ground that has just offloaded passengers.

There is a plane landing every hour, sometimes two or three planes landing.

Sometimes drivers get antsy waiting - maybe they feel more productive driving around. It takes patience to wait for a call at the airport but usually worth it - average fare is $20 - you could get lucky and take a trip to Marshall Ford. Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is working the airport worth it? I'm thinking if I do a drop near the area that I would head over to the cell lot and wait. If it's worth it, what days/times tend to be best?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Is working the airport worth it? I'm thinking if I do a drop near the area that I would head over to the cell lot and wait. If it's worth it, what days/times tend to be best?
You're not going to make big bucks working for Uber or Lyft, so you might as well take it easy and just wait for a call at the airport. Less wear and tear on you and your car.

Nowadays around 9:00 AM I just head to the airport and wait. I'm doing at least one ride per hour. Sometimes I get lucky and get a long haul - but most of the time it's about a $20 fare. The law of averages means that the more rides out of the airport the better your odds of getting a long ride. This works for me because I live on East Riverside. YMMV.

·
Registered
38 Posts
$20 an hour is what I am netting right now. But then, Saturday was my first day. Ha. I've been thinking about sitting at the airport. Of course, I don't want to deadhead down there, so would try to catch some rides to the general area, then head over. So you do that daily or just specific days of the week? Are some days better than others? I would think that it doesn't matter what day of the week since there are flights every day. Ha.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got lucky today with the airport. Trip there from Fonda San Miguel ($20) and a pretty immediate ping cruising the street past Circle K to near Lakeway ($39). And the company was nice with 3 hot Cougars. I feel I got real lucky with the ping after dropping off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I avoid the airport like the plague, but on Sundays that's when people are done shitting on Austin and returning to their home cities. So if your downtown a lot of hotel pings will be airport trips on Sundays.

If you think the shitting on Austin comment was a little rough, thats actually a quote from a pax today... they were done shitting on Austin and now were heading home o_O

·
Registered
26 Posts
On a side note BEWARE people while dropping a pax off at 630 AM yesterday I watched some poor sap get light up right coming in and nailed by APD right at that drop off terminal. Pretty embarrassing for the guy with his app running promently displayed right on the dash with absolutely no ride share marking or indicators on his car as required by ABIA especially. I have also heard rumors of that specific issue being used as there "Targeted Enforcement" concern the 2 weeks of ACL. It's a easy ticket to get and impossible to fight with the court or with any of ride share companies terms of service. Be safe friends.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can get ticketed for dropping off or picking up a pax? How come?

Any suggestions/advice about working the airport are appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not for picking up or dropping off you can. It's for operating in the ride share apps with out the proper signage displayed in or on your vehicle. Like the uber or lyft sign indicating you are operating as a ride share vehicle at the time.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
[QUOTE="So you do that daily or just specific days of the week? Are some days better than others? I would think that it doesn't matter what day of the week since there are flights every day. Ha.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Not for picking up or dropping off you can. It's for operating in the ride share apps with out the proper signage displayed in or on your vehicle. Like the uber or lyft sign indicating you are operating as a ride share vehicle at the time.
I've never displayed any trade dress at the airport and have never had any issue. Wasn't even aware it was a requirement for the Austin airport.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
[QUOTE="So you do that daily or just specific days of the week? Are some days better than others? I would think that it doesn't matter what day of the week since there are flights every day.[/QUOTE]

Not working nights or evenings - just M-F, 9-4 pm. Compared to the UT campus, games and most special events, the airport is a gold mine with a guaranteed ride if you are driving for Uber.

Things were getting so slow at the beginning of the summer that I got tired of waiting in town for $5 rides, so I sort of went on my own strike and started working the airport almost exclusively. If I get a trip to West Austin, I stay logged on as I cruise back, just in case I get a call. Sometimes I get lucky with a rider from Westlake back into town or to the airport, but most of the time I only get short rides which take up a lot of time.

Almost all of my rides from the airport are about $20. My goal is to clear about $100 per day, the most easy way possible with the least amount of effort. There are planes landing every day, all day. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
To the point:

What do you all do after dropping off at the airport? I had 6 trips there today ugggg.
Depends upon how many folks are sitting in queue by circle k. Less than 10, I wait, more than 10, I deadhead back to town. I had rides yesterday in 20 minutes and 30 minutes after my drop offs. It's about 15 back to town, and I didn't have to deadhead either time

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
On a side note BEWARE people while dropping a pax off at 630 AM yesterday I watched some poor sap get light up right coming in and nailed by APD right at that drop off terminal. Pretty embarrassing for the guy with his app running promently displayed right on the dash with absolutely no ride share marking or indicators on his car as required by ABIA especially. I have also heard rumors of that specific issue being used as there "Targeted Enforcement" concern the 2 weeks of ACL. It's a easy ticket to get and impossible to fight with the court or with any of ride share companies terms of service. Be safe friends.
Surely this driver did something stupid like dropping off in the thru lane, I made 3 drops yesterday and had absolutely no issues.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The road next to the Circle K now has no parking/no standing signs. Not sure when they went up. Seems they want to make it impossible for Uber and Lyft to wait for rides. Not sure who put them up, but I'm sure the Taxi lobby had something to do with that (or maybe the Taxi drivers put them up themselves!)

1 - 20 of 136 Posts