Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have any actual data or a honest guesstimate of how many rides get requested out of ABIA. Per day? Per hour?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I do not hang out by the airport so I can only guess. I would GUESS you get at most 5 rides in an 8hr shift. This is taking into account there are other drivers sitting there also waiting for a ping. You should also take into account that drivers dropping off pax's will get a ping as they leave the airport before those waiting at circle K, its all on the timing.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Does any one have any actual data or a honest guesstimate of how many rides get requested out of ABIA. Per day? Per hour?
My estimate, based on experience and observation, is that there are maybe one or two Uber customers on each flight. There are two planes landing each hour throughout the day and into the evening. I've been mostly working the airport from 10:00 AM until 3:00 PM. The average fare is $20. At this point in the Austin market, I'd rather get $20 per hour rather than $5 per hour working in the city. Less wear and tear on the driver and the vehicle too.

When I am not at the airport, I am convinced that it is under-served by Uber.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
My estimate, based on experience and observation, is that there are maybe one or two Uber customers on each flight. There are two planes landing each hour throughout the day and into the evening. I've been mostly working the airport from 10:00 AM until 3:00 PM. The average fare is $20. At this point in the Austin market, I'd rather get $20 per hour rather than $5 per hour working in the city. Less wear and tear on the driver and the vehicle too.

When I am not at the airport, I am convinced that it is under-served by Uber.
No, it's not underserved when you aren't there. There are 20 other people waiting for those 2 riders per flight.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
No, it's not underserved when you aren't there. There are 20 other people waiting for those 2 riders per flight.
Not sure exactly how you would be knowing this if you're not working the airport on a regular basis. Also, not sure where 20 Uber cars would be staged at the airport. If there were 20 other Uber cars out there, I would probably be working somewhere else.

Most of the drivers I've met at the airport are working for Lyft. There's no Q - it's just a crap shoot and I feel as lucky as the next guy. Most of the guys and gals out there are nice people, but there are always a few trying to game the system. Go figure.

Most of the time, when I am staged near the airport, the rider app shows no Uber cars in the vicinity, which may be incorrect. However, all anyone has to do is ask the other drivers staged there who they are working for. Or, just look at the app on their phone. It's not complicated.

P.S. The problem is not getting riders out of the airport - the problem is getting TO the terminal in under 3 minutes after you get the call, depending on the time of day. So, I'm sticking to my original assessment - the airport is under-served by Uber and will probably remain so into the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I'm around there often enough to see what's going on. I've talked to a number of the drivers staged along Cardinal Loop, and most there are Uber drivers. Lyft drivers can accept pings onsite, and are usually around the cell phone lot. You mistake my disdain for deadheading there for a lack of ever being there. I make several runs a week to make drop offs, and I always check to see whether or not it's worthwhile to sit or race back towards downtown. It's usually better in my opinion to get west on 71 and hope for the best that way. Last weekend, for example, by not sitting at the airport after a drop, I headed west on 71 and landed a gentleman who wanted to go to the domain from 71&35. Great timing, too, I was able to meet the wife for lunch and then finish out the afternoon with nothing but select runs.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm around there often enough to see what's going on. I've talked to a number of the drivers staged along Cardinal Loop, and most there are Uber drivers. Lyft drivers can accept pings onsite, and are usually around the cell phone lot. You mistake my disdain for deadheading there for a lack of ever being there. I make several runs a week to make drop offs, and I always check to see whether or not it's worthwhile to sit or race back towards downtown. It's usually better in my opinion to get west on 71 and hope for the best that way. Last weekend, for example, by not sitting at the airport after a drop, I headed west on 71 and landed a gentleman who wanted to go to the domain from 71&35. Great timing, too, I was able to meet the wife for lunch and then finish out the afternoon with nothing but select runs.
The key word in my post was "regularly" working the airport. You can't get a very accurate estimate of the airport situation in just a few minutes hanging around the Circle K.

Some of the Lyft drivers out there are attempting to game the system - staging at the Cell Phone Lot, which is supposed to be prohibited, due to a lack of commercial insurance. They are supposed to be outside the geo fence. Go figure.

Just remember the cardinal rule: when you drop off almost anywhere, stage your car, kill the engine and wait.

IMO it would be better to get paid to drive back into town from the airport than to deadhead back into town. The key word here is "dead" - downtown is dead most of the time; short rides, heavy traffic. In contrast, airport rides are almost all long rides. Good luck!

P.S. There is a tendency for newbies to get antsy waiting. However, if you are working for Uber, you will probably get a ping at the airport - watch for the planes to land. Listen to the Tod and Don show. LoL!

http://www.newsradioklbj.com/programs/todd-and-don-show

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Not sure exactly how you would be knowing this if you're not working the airport on a regular basis. Also, not sure where 20 Uber cars would be staged at the airport. If there were 20 other Uber cars out there, I would probably be working somewhere else.

Most of the drivers I've met at the airport are working for Lyft. There's no Q - it's just a crap shoot and I feel as lucky as the next guy. Most of the guys and gals out there are nice people, but there are always a few trying to game the system. Go figure.

Most of the time, when I am staged near the airport, the rider app shows no Uber cars in the vicinity, which may be incorrect. However, all anyone has to do is ask the other drivers staged there who they are working for. Or, just look at the app on their phone. It's not complicated.

P.S. The problem is not getting riders out of the airport - the problem is getting TO the terminal in under 3 minutes after you get the call, depending on the time of day. So, I'm sticking to my original assessment - the airport is under-served by Uber and will probably remain so into the foreseeable future.
You can see Uber rides available within minutes at any time of the day from the terminal.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Our drivers see Uber drivers regularly at all hours. After a while, they recognize them by their vehicles. One of our chauffeurs works at the airport, and knows many of them by face and vehicle. Uber rides are abundant at AUS.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You can see Uber rides available within minutes at any time of the day from the terminal.
I'm looking at the rider app now and staged at the airport Starbucks - a plane just landed - zip, nada, bupkis. Maybe you have a different rider app on your phone. Go figure.

I've been monitoring the rider app for months on an hourly basis while staged near ABIA. If I was a passenger waiting for a ride at the airport terminal and looking for an Uber ride by viewing the rider app, I would probably opt for a taxi instead of calling for an Uber, since it takes so long for an Uber driver to get to the terminal, especially if they are on East Riverside and the traffic is real heavy on 71 East.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Monitoring the ghost cars? The rider app isn't that useful if you're looking at the cars. I assure you there were 10 or more cars staged at the field by the circle k.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Monitoring the ghost cars? The rider app isn't that useful if you're looking at the cars. I assure you there were 10 or more cars staged at the field by the circle k.
There may have been 10 cars in the field, but did you see the Uber driver app on their phone?

Yes, monitoring the rider app to see where the other Ubers are. I have a second Android phone with the rider ap on it - I monitor it all the time so I can position myself where there are not any other Uber cars. Rule 1: When you drop off, stage and kill the engine and wait. Monitor the rider app and position your car away from other Uber cars. It's not complicated.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Today, when I went to the airport to drop off, I checked the rider app and didn't see any Uber cars, so I staged, killed the engine and waited. I saw a Southwest plane come in for a landing and in about 10 minutes, got a ping to pick up at Arrivals Gate J.

P.S. Around 2:00 PM today I saw a Mercedes with an Uber sticker on the windshield. The Uber driver was probably a newbie - parked near the Circle K, directly under the sign that reads "No parking or standing. Tow away." LoL!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Our drivers see Uber drivers regularly at all hours. After a while, they recognize them by their vehicles. One of our chauffeurs works at the airport, and knows many of them by face and vehicle. Uber rides are abundant at AUS.
If there were all that many Uber cars working the airport I probably wouldn't get as many pings, staged at the airport Starbucks. The closest car is supposed to get the call. Go figure.

Not sure why your drivers would be hanging around the Circle K at all hours. Please tell them not to do this as it upsets the management to see all those black cars staged in the parking lot. Parking at Circle K is reserved for paying customers. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
There are NO Uber cars staged at the Departure terminals at the ABIA. Uber drivers are not allowed to stage in the black car lanes. They are allowed to drop off, but must leave the area after the drop. No parking is allowed. It's not complicated.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Today, when I went to the airport to drop off, I checked the rider app and didn't see any Uber cars, so I staged, killed the engine and waited. I saw a Southwest plane come in for a landing and in about 10 minutes, got a ping to pick up at Arrivals Gate J.

P.S. Around 2:00 PM today I saw a Mercedes with an Uber sticker on the windshield. The Uber driver was probably a newbie - parked near the Circle K, directly under the sign that reads "No parking or standing. Tow away." LoL!
Might not be a newbie, I think some of those guys simply don't care.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
There may have been 10 cars in the field, but did you see the Uber driver app on their phone?

Yes, monitoring the rider app to see where the other Ubers are. I have a second Android phone with the rider ap on it - I monitor it all the time so I can position myself where there are not any other Uber cars. Rule 1: When you drop off, stage and kill the engine and wait. Monitor the rider app and position your car away from other Uber cars. It's not complicated.

You're right, it's not complicated. Lyft drivers stage at cell phone lot because they can. It was thr usual suspects in the field. I've talked to most of them, and now I recognize their cars, they're all uber, and I think several must be select.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
If there were all that many Uber cars working the airport I probably wouldn't get as many pings, staged at the airport Starbucks. The closest car is supposed to get the call. Go figure.

Not sure why your drivers would be hanging around the Circle K at all hours. Please tell them not to do this as it upsets the management to see all those black cars staged in the parking lot. Parking at Circle K is reserved for paying customers. Thanks.
Where did I imply they were at circle k?
Look, there are rides available within minutes at the airport. Drivers, AND airport staff eventually recognize many of the regulars, furthermore, they see them drop off, then see the same car come back maybe 10 minutes later. Why do you need to debate this?

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
There are NO Uber cars staged at the Departure terminals at the ABIA. Uber drivers are not allowed to stage in the black car lanes. They are allowed to drop off, but must leave the area after the drop. No parking is allowed. It's not complicated.
Did I say they were staged at the departure terminals?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You're right, it's not complicated. Lyft drivers stage at cell phone lot because they can...
Apparently there are only a few newbie Lyft drivers staging at the airport cell phone lot. Maybe the newbies don't realize that they are not supposed to do that, due to commercial insurance requirements. If there is an accident, it's on them, as per the ABIA agreement with Lyft.

Any for-hire vehicle must be covered by commercial insurance to operate on airport property. Everyone already knows this..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts