Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live < 15 mins from the airport so have been experimenting trying to start my shifts there. So far out of 5 pickups I got every. single. one. has been to Brunswick. What are the odds of that?

They're all $20-22 rides and when you consider the time to get there, waiting time etc it comes to < $10ph. Am i just unlucky or wtf? Surely people outside brunswick travel too

·
Banned
2,547 Posts
I live < 15 mins from the airport so have been experimenting trying to start my shifts there. So far out of 5 pickups I got every. single. one. has been to Brunswick. What are the odds of that?

They're all $20-22 rides and when you consider the time to get there, waiting time etc it comes to < $10ph. Am i just unlucky or wtf? Surely people outside brunswick travel too
Well, that's the result of your experiment. I guess.
Maybe, only get an airport pickup, if you drop off there,.... Rather than dead mile there....
You're wasting your morning? shift...at tulla.
Start closer to town ,maybe?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Your experiment reminds me of global climate measurements. Different indications of global warming or otherwise! Most try to get out of the airport. Brave for you to deliberately start at the airport. It's counterintuitive!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I live about 10 mins from the airport so figured starting there would reduce my 'dead miles'. There are no surges anywhere where I live (Essendon) for example so getting to the 'good' areas such as SE burbs where it always seems to be surging regularly, would take me 45 minutes minimum.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
Well I live about 10 mins from the airport so figured starting there would reduce my 'dead miles'. There are no surges anywhere where I live (Essendon) for example so getting to the 'good' areas such as SE burbs where it always seems to be surging regularly, would take me 45 minutes minimum.
SE Surge is bullshit. Schoolkids going 1KM to school or people going to the station.

Don't bother. Best to stay in inner suburb and catch 2+ to AP.

·
Banned
2,547 Posts
ESS,Brunswick,... Better than airport for start.

·
Banned
4,250 Posts
Essendon is actually good spot to start,I always picked up someone from there to take me across town, I use to live in Pascoe Vale but now in North Melbourne.
Sometimes Essendon surges.
As it comes as airport run I am always lucky soon I drop someone I turn back and take bulla road off ramp towards city and mostly get ping in Essendon or Moonee Pnds to city or further.
Last Friday picked up two guys on 1.5X surge to Mount Albert after races.
No point chasing surge even if it is 5-10 minutes away,by the time you get there most likely will drop to base or 1.2X.

·
Registered
412 Posts
spare a thought got a pin from airport only to bloody drive them to Westfield shopping in Airport West then i thought lets go back again try my luck WHAM BAMM got another pin from airport that was a worker finishing his shift from a TOLL company again Airport west
give me brunswick any day!!!

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
spare a thought got a pin from airport only to bloody drive them to Westfield shopping in Airport West then i thought lets go back again try my luck WHAM BAMM got another pin from airport that was a worker finishing his shift from a TOLL company again Airport west
give me brunswick any day!!!
haha one time dropped at airport got a ping from Westfield airport west thinking city drove 10 min to pick them up 2 girls going back to airport hotel.
Another time dropped off at airport got a ping from the airport thinking pax going home picked him up worker finishing his shift and dropped him in bloody Dallas (further north) !!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Most of the airport pickups are taxi rejected jobs, or cheapskates saving money.
Stay offline around airport, and let it surge.
unfortunately they r at any given time more than 30 ants waiting for that little crumbs that the idea of going offline to create a surge is more in realms of fantasy but in the same token most of us did have some great rides as well...

·
Banned
4,250 Posts
unfortunately they r at any given time more than 30 ants waiting for that little crumbs that the idea of going offline to create a surge is more in realms of fantasy but in the same token most of us did have some great rides as well...
I think Sara compensate me on my airport runs,90% of my airport runs are from Carlton,but in the way back 90% of pings are across the town.
No point to stick around on airport.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts