Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did an airport drop off at 0720 checked arrivals and returned to the lot. 1-10 so I can wait.

Ecoregion World Map Atlas Font

Got two pings from La Jolla (no screenshot) advising of possible premium pick up, short rides and well keep your spot in line. 24 minutes away.

Thought that was unusual, while sitting in the lot. No surge on the pings, so no thanks.

Then I get a Pool request at T1, let it slide by and receive the "you haven't accepted a ride" advice. Stayed on line and Uber dropped me back in the airport cue.

World Map Line Atlas Font

#airportpenaltybox

·
Premium Member
3,946 Posts
I could be wrong as I was never an adherent of waiting for a ride at the airport. Would do it occasionally as a working break. But I would think the better strategy would be to position yourself from where ever you think best to catch a ride to SAN in order to catch a rematch.

After a drop-off I leave SAN as slowly as possible. I pull over for a bit if there’s no visible traffic enforcement people. I’ve been known to take an extra lap around the airport grounds.

Hanging out for a ride for a ride doesn’t strike me as being the best use of your time most of the time (not all, just “most”).

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I left when they dropped me back.

I should have put that in.

Didn't get the rematch after dropping off.
But why would you wait for a non-surge ride, when you can clearly see on your map it is surging 2-4 miles away. Same schedule as you

Attachments

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Did an airport drop off at 0720 checked arrivals and returned to the lot. 1-10 so I can wait.

View attachment 244918

Got two pings from La Jolla (no screenshot) advising of possible premium pick up, short rides and well keep your spot in line. 24 minutes away.

Thought that was unusual, while sitting in the lot. No surge on the pings, so no thanks.

Then I get a Pool request at T1, let it slide by and receive the "you haven't accepted a ride" advice. Stayed on line and Uber dropped me back in the airport cue.

View attachment 244920

#airportpenaltybox

I'm assuming you mean 7am in the morning. There's not many planes coming in at that time so Uber will send you known airport rides. The only time you should wait at the queue is after 7pm when the airport requests are flying in. I went to the queue twice yesterday when Lyft requests were coming in nonstop and snagged 2 long notification trips both in minutes.

If I was a driver who lived north of Del Mar I would drive till 10-11pm everyday. Go to SAN and get an easy ride up north to end the night. Working SAN has become very profitable for me but you have to know when to go and when not too. A 20 car queue at 2pm means a lot more then a 20 car queue at 10pm.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes - it was 7:20am.
I'd seen the cue and thought for a short break at that time 1-10 I could hold for the dozen incoming flights.

My post may not have been clear, I was irritated about getting dropped back 20 vehicles on the pings. Had not seen that before. Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
3,946 Posts
I am not sure about the rematch lately. The last 4 SAN dropoffs have not given me a rematch. All different times of the day.
Depends on the day and time of day. And it's a numbers game anyway, sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield. You want to give yourself the best shot to improve your numbers, just remember that sometimes it won't go your way. Maybe tomorrow you'll get a good ride with all 6 drop-offs you do tomorrow and not drive away empty on even a single trip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts