Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,968 Posts
I don't know what one should expect this time of year; city seemed slow when I started from 11 pm to about 1 am, when I gave up and just drove to Logan.

No wait for an Uber ping, but no surge or boost -- but a nice Marlborough hotel run. Can't often top that even in March and April (depending if one likes long rides but without surge or boost).

Got back around 3:30 a.m. into a 1.7 boost area and had a few pings, pool and regular. Waited and took the regular X fare to Logan.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't know what one should expect this time of year; city seemed slow when I started from 11 pm to about 1 am, when I gave up and just drove to Logan.

No wait for an Uber ping, but no surge or boost -- but a nice Marlborough hotel run. Can't often top that even in March and April (depending if one likes long rides but without surge or boost).

Got back around 3:30 a.m. into a 1.7 boost area and had a few pings, pool and regular. Waited and took the regular X fare to Logan.
Did you dead mile back to Boston? It's like a 30+ mile trip from Marlborough back into the city? That's a lot of dead miles late at night.....what's your per mile rate?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Boston will pick way up in late August as college kids get back into town.. anyone saying otherwise is feeding you BS.

This is a college town so between September 1 and April 30 the city is at like 2-3x population due to college kids.

Because it's so much busier in the day between Sept. and Apr., many drivers can meet their numbers during the daytime doing city driving so the Logan queue frees up a lot and there's a solid surge almost every night.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Boston will pick way up in late August as college kids get back into town.. anyone saying otherwise is feeding you BS.

This is a college town so between September 1 and April 30 the city is at like 2-3x population due to college kids.

Because it's so much busier in the day between Sept. and Apr., many drivers can meet their numbers during the daytime doing city driving so the Logan queue frees up a lot and there's a solid surge almost every night.
Eh no, it's not that simple. December and January are slow, even slower then the summer in my experience.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Eh no, it's not that simple. December and January are slow, even slower then the summer in my experience.
True, but that is just because college kids are all home for Christmas from the first week of December to the last week of January. I stand corrected! September - November, then February - April = $. Basically when colleges are out on break for any reason, business sucks ass for U/L.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
True, but that is just because college kids are all home for Christmas from the first week of December to the last week of January. I stand corrected! September - November, then February - April = $. Basically when colleges are out on break for any reason, business sucks ass for U/L.
May is the best month in my experience.

·
Premium Member
4,968 Posts
And Thanksgiving weekend generally causes lots of moaning until the Sunday airport rush. Remember?

It's hard to get 30 straight days of solid business most months, as there's often a 3-day weekend, Jewish religious holiday, Election Day, Bunker Hill city workers day off, Veteran's Day, Easter and/or Passover, etc. possibly slowing down demand, or too cold causing pax to stay in.

There aren't 52 straight weeks of busy Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, either. We're not entitled to that.

In February, several weekend bar rushes had no surge for much of that hour.

·
Premium Member
4,968 Posts
Huh?

Most college kids are here until December 11 or even December 15; Northeastern returns by about January 8, while BU and BC and most others resume around January 16. Harvard and MIT return a bit later, I think.

And Thanksgiving weekend generally causes lots of moaning until the Sunday airport rush. Remember?

It's hard to get 30 straight days of solid business most months, as there's often a 3-day weekend, Jewish religious holiday, Election Day, Bunker Hill city workers day off, Veteran's Day, Easter and/or Passover, etc. possibly slowing down demand, or too cold causing pax to stay in.

There aren't 52 straight weeks of busy Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, either. We're not entitled to that.

In February, several weekend bar rushes had no surge for much of that hour.
Oh...and don't forget that the first and second weeks of March we lose college students for spring break,

From Saturday a.m. when they leave until the following Sunday; that's quite a stretch, with two consecutive weekend nights away for the respective schools.

So again, it's hard to generate any consistent momentum with all students here in session at once, with no Columbus Day, Presidents' Day, Yom Kippur, Easter/Passover interruptions.

Yet somehow, many drivers here seem to do well.

·
Premium Member
4,968 Posts
Buy you have to remember that tourists and visitors make up a portion of our passengers. Also the average trip in the warmer months are longer then the average trip in the colder ones.
Yes, that too.

Plus Fenway concerts this weekend and a few more until early September have no equivalent in winter. Those surges are likely better and deeper than Red Sox games?

Did you dead mile back to Boston? It's like a 30+ mile trip from Marlborough back into the city? That's a lot of dead miles late at night.....what's your per mile rate?
Yes, an empty return trip.

Isn't Boston $1.25 or $1.26 per mile plus a modest waiting time fee before Uber's commission?

I should've used destination filter returning, but as I always say, I'm not comfortable picking up outside my comfort zone, thus too many empty miles just like a cabbie does just to get back to Boston. I don't like picking up at 2 am or anytime in Framingham or Burlington and thereabouts, either, when dropping there, so just foolishly (?) return empty. Too much of a cabbie mentality still, as cabs can't pick up unless in Boston city limits unless they've called our dispatch. Thus little or no cab experience with pax in my cab heading back to Boston, even from Brookline, Somerville and Cambridge! It's so different from rideshare.

A taxi flat rate from Logan to Marlborough is around $88 plus tolls, I think, plus tip. Many cabbies perhaps may illegally use the meter for that destination, running it up another $20 or so if pax is not local. I can afford to return empty during those rare long taxi trios. Not so wise with non-surge Uber rides, I realize.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
$28 per hour waiting time in a Boston cab, $2.80 per mile and $3.20 per mile if a flat rate destination.

Hasn't changed in almost ten years.

And I think Cambridge, Brookline and Somerville still have higher per mile meters than Boston. Has always been so.
We do get 30 an hour waiting time before a pickup.

And it's different then taxi cause it combines the per mile and per min.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.