Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Advice Needed

4K views 54 replies 33 participants last post by  Uberfunitis 
#1 ·
To return an iPhone to an out state rider.
So, after a jet run this morning I needed fuel, while fueling up I opened the rear door and there it was.
So, my questions:
1. Has anyone return an item that needed to be sent to rider?
2. How much did FUber pay?
3. Could I hold iPhone hostage for...let's say, $100.00 plus shipping & handling?

FUber support was of no help, talked to some very nice young lady but, she forwarded the issue to someone else(2 hours ago) still have not heard back.

Girlfriend called me on the computer relay system wanting to know if she can have the iPhone back. LMAO!

#2 ·
Contact rider. Let them know that you would happy to return the phone. All they have to do is do an UBER request by placing the pickup point at YOUR location. The destination will be their home (or wherever). When they request ,YOU should get the ping. Accept it. Drive to them. Give them phone. You get paid for the ride obviously.

You can also drop it off a the local police station as lost merchandise and let pax know where it is.

#4 ·
That would a nice Select ride from Florida to Michigan. Not gonna do it!

Isn't this a standard return fee of 15$? I tell them they can come get it, however they decide to travel. If you're worried about them knowing your address give a slightly different address. Make sure to take photos.
Not worried about address, he looked like a wimp anyway. Photos for sure.

#5 ·
Just arrange with the Rider to ship the phone back. Let them know that the $15 return fee will not cover the TIME/MILES and shipping fees. Get a quote and add the amount you think is fair to ship the item. They may request you overnight the phone or snail mail may be ok.

They can Venmo, PayPal, etc the money in advance. I would personally negotiate the actual shipping charges and let them decide if they are going to tip extra for the hassle. $15 plus shipping charges is reasonable as you can ship within a few miles from where you are. In this case, there is good chance they will add a tip as well.

Don’t be like the other idiot drivers that think they can hold a valuable item hostage or you are entitled to more.

#6 ·
Just arrange with the Rider to ship the phone back. Let them know that the $15 return fee will not cover the TIME/MILES and shipping fees. Get a quote and add the amount you think is fair to ship the item. They may request you overnight the phone or snail mail may be ok.

They can Venmo, PayPal, etc the money in advance. I would personally negotiate the actual shipping charges and let them decide if they are going to tip extra for the hassle. $15 plus shipping charges is reasonable as you can ship within a few miles from where you are. In this case, there is good chance they will add a tip as well.

Don't be like the other idiot drivers that think they can hold a valuable item hostage or you are entitled to more.
The issue is getting the $15.00 from what I have read on (Uber help) we get that money ONLY if item is HANDED back to the rider.

#10 ·
You will get the $15. Once you return the item submit a help ticket. Note that the item was shipped and possible provide a tracking number.

However, if you are unsure if you will get the $15 fee, just negotiate with the rider.

1. Shipping is going to cost $0.00
2. I will need to drive 10 miles which will be $0.00
3. It will take about 30 minutes of my time, which will be $0.00

I would prefer that the money is sent via venmo, square cash, zelle, etc which I will be able to ship the package this afternoon/tomorrow morning. tomorrow afternoon, etc.

By the way, Uber appears to not be charging the rider $15 for the return fee (it is marked as a promotion) so this could be to your advantage to be full compensated for your time/effort to return the item. Last return item. $25 tip on the app and $15 return fee. And they waited all day for me to filter to there area.
Holy crap, thats way too complicated. Just open a ticket with Uber with pictures of the phone, and tell the customer that if they want their phone, come and get it. It's 15$. If they don't want to come get it, then to hell with them, and it's not worth your effort. Leave it in your possession for a reasonable amount of time. Uber will add 15$ to your account as "promotional".

#13 ·
If the guy is nice (You clearly remember who he is), There is no need to be a jerk or assume the other party is a jerk, Most likely he is a reasonable human being and will compensate you accordingly for returning his phone, There is a good 95% chance this will end up with a happy ending (Not that kind of happy ending).

If you don't want to take chances or just don't want to be bothered with it, Return it to a police station which provides a receipt, And you can put all this behind.

#14 ·
Rider left his jacket in my car. I reported that day, he got the notice from Uber 5 days later after he’d already returned home.

Requested I ship it to him. I said, sure but I’ll be out of pocket, you WILL have to make it up by tipping in the ap. Cost me $16 via UPS. He tipped $50 the day I sent the tracking information.

Took a risk and I was a lil nervous... to make up for that I also reported to Uber and got the $15! I’m not perfect!

#17 ·
If you sense any trouble from pax, return it to hub or take it to a police station. Otherwise ship it and save proof for Uber and make sure you pay for shipping insurance. Ship with FEDEX, not USPS, trust me on this.

Messing with questionable pax or holding onto it for any kind of ransom or forcing pax to come pick it up in person is a great idea if you’ve ever wanted to see what the inside of a jail cell looks like.

#19 ·
So, the rider is refusing to pay $50.00 for me to send it back to Michigan. Further threatening me with deactivation if I do not comply with Uber $15.00 return item fee.
What say you all?
Curious to see the texts you sent him lol

It looks like all you get is $15, barely covers the shipping. Greenlight hub it is lol

#20 ·
So, the rider is refusing to pay $50.00 for me to send it back to Michigan. Further threatening me with deactivation if I do not comply with Uber $15.00 return item fee.
What say you all?
You were warned. Drop it off at the hub now.

BTW fedex's rules are that they don't accept cell phones (because of the batteries/fires etc.) , so you can say you tried to send it, and they wouldn't let you...

FYI I've said this many time. Better to NOT FIND IT until you find out what the rider is offering. And don't tell Uber. Because now they know you have it. If you had waited and said "Let me check the car, i didn't see a phone" and then asked if they could send the money to ship it IF you did, and they said "Sorry, you only get $15" you could have just never found it, or dropped it off at the closest police station,

#21 ·
So, after a jet run this morning I needed fuel, while fueling up I opened the rear door and there it was.
So, my questions:
3. Could I hold iPhone hostage for...let's say, $100.00 plus shipping & handling?

FUber support was of no help, talked to some very nice young lady but, she forwarded the issue to someone else(2 hours ago) still have not heard back.

Girlfriend called me on the computer relay system wanting to know if she can have the iPhone back. LMAO!
Don't accept std $15. Demand $200 or will be dropped in toilet.

#23 ·
Has anyone return an item that needed to be sent to rider?
Yep.
The guy understood the situation.
Asked me to FedEx it to him.
Called him from the FedEx office with the price, he Venmoed me the money plus 50 for my trouble. As soon as the money hit my account, I paid for shipping, photographed the receipt, texted it to him, and that was it. Took me 15 minutes.
The alternative was dropping it off at the hub, which wasn't working for him. Some people understand, that they have to grease the wheel to get somewhere fast.

#24 ·
Yep.
The guy understood the situation.
Asked me to FedEx it to him.
Called him from the FedEx office with the price, he Venmoed me the money plus 50 for my trouble. As soon as the money hit my account, I paid for shipping, photographed the receipt, texted it to him, and that was it. Took me 15 minutes.
The alternative was dropping it off at the hub, which wasn't working for him. Some people understand, that they have to grease the wheel to get somewhere fast.
I was starting to write to do something like this but you already had a similar situation so here it is. ;)

#27 ·
The issue is getting the $15.00 from what I have read on (Uber help) we get that money ONLY if item is HANDED back to the rider.
You can package it up safely in a box with some tissue and send it postage due to the pax, Certified mail, Return Receipt Requested... Send Uber the pertinent information when you get the receipt back, and there's no reason to not get your $15.

#31 ·
So, my questions:

you are a real winner

#32 ·
Take it to your closest police station and leave it with them as 'lost and found.' Get a receipt. Let passenger have the cops deactivated...
Should have done that!!!

This rider will go down as my worst in the nearly 4 years at this. I'm glad I 1 starred him.
He was rude from pick up to drop off. He had golf clubs (should have requested a XL)and kept expelling gas the whole trip.

This issue got escalated and got an in app message from Uber telling me to drop item off at 1 of the local hubs.
In the meantime the rider text me(harassing) that I would get no money.

So, I messaged Uber back saying that I would drop the item at the local police station and included the rider text for the reason why.
Uber messaged me back saying fine just let us know the location of the police station.

Well, after thinking about it I wanted to wash my hands of it and move on so, went to the hub and dropped it off.

Uber sent confirmation of it and said that since I did not return item to rider they would NOT pay the returned item fee.

So, you left your phone in my car?! Uhm, let me look....no, nothing in my car!
As many of you said, next time it goes right out the window as I drive.

#33 ·
Should have done that!!!

This rider will go down as my worst in the nearly 4 years at this. I'm glad I 1 starred him.
He was rude from pick up to drop off. He had golf clubs (should have requested a XL)and kept expelling gas the whole trip.

This issue got escalated and got an in app message from Uber telling me to drop item off at 1 of the local hubs.
In the meantime the rider text me(harassing) that I would get no money.

So, I messaged Uber back saying that I would drop the item at the local police station and included the rider text for the reason why.
Uber messaged me back saying fine just let us know the location of the police station.

Well, after thinking about it I wanted to wash my hands of it and move on so, went to the hub and dropped it off.

Uber sent confirmation of it and said that since I did not return item to rider they would NOT pay the returned item fee.

So, you left your phone in my car?! Uhm, let me look....no, nothing in my car!
As many of you said, next time it goes right out the window as I drive.
Argue with Uber that you followed their instructions for return and you should get the $15. There is nothing that says you don't get it for returning to the Hub. In fact, unless they changed it, it's in the TOS that this is acceptable and reasonable.

#36 ·
So, my questions:

Drop at local green light office and be done with it

#38 ·
They should have given you $15 for your trouble. I'd almost say escalate it but I'm sure you're ready to be done with it. I returned a girl's student ID and keys to campus security instead of her dorm (that's a 3rd party right) and I got my fee. I happen to be at that campus frequently during the school year so it wasn't any extra trouble for me.

I would only return a item directly to a pax if that's the option that's least out of my way. In the future when you find stuff do the following: If it's traceable through GPS like a phone or traceable back to the rider like an I.D. or credit cards immediately drop them at the nearest police station or hub. You don't want to be caught with the phone in case it's an unreasonable paxhole like you had. You also don't want their wallet returned by someone else who found it a long side a rural/suburban road and then they accuse you of dumping it. Return it to a reasonable 3rd party like the police or Uber and get a receipt.
If you find anything not traceable then keep it for yourself or dump it. I'd keep cash dump anything else. Quite a few vapes and E-cigs have been misplaced just outside my window while going 65...

#39 ·
If you drop a phone, or some other valuable item at the police station, you can get a receipt for it and find out how long the owner has to claim it. After that time has passed, if you go back to the police station, the police have to either show you a receipt saying they gave it to the original owner, or it becomes yours, legally. Then you can sell it, or get it unlocked and a new SIM card for it and use it, smash it with a hammer, or anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.