Uber Drivers Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
2021 Bugatti Chiron
7,177 Posts
Well I caught a ride from Bradenton to Orlando and was thrilled about it.

I had dropped my son off in Sarasota and was heading to Orlando, DF did it's job. I jumped on it right away.

Reactions: bobby747

·
Premium Member
9,499 Posts
That’s why I believe the best car for this gig is like a old ass 100k miles Prius that you don’t give a shxt about it being dinged up and driven to the ground… or is this what everyone drives and it’s still not worth doing😅
Couldn't agree more, I drive XL so I have a 225K mile Honda Odyssey. The problem is that even if the car is fully depreciated there is still an expense associated with operating a vehicle. You can never say for sure till after it dies and you see what you spend but it's hard for me to imagine you being able to operate a vehicle for less than 25 cents a mile when you consider gas, tires, oil change, wipers, ... and the occasional repair needed. That would make this a $57 cost trip.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I’d almost take that trip, that’s $35 per hour, and about $2.50 in gas.
but the issue is, you wouldn’t drive back empty then it eats into your costs, so you hope to get a few trips on the way back, which is likely,

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Why complain if this is ride towards your destination? Nobody in clear mind would not take it to go back empty but if your options are go empty or take this then $70 is better then nothing.

·
Premium Member
9,499 Posts
I’d almost take that trip, that’s $35 per hour, and about $2.50 in gas.
but the issue is, you wouldn’t drive back empty then it eats into your costs, so you hope to get a few trips on the way back, which is likely,
$2.50 in gas? Do the math again! By the way, there are other expenses besides gas to operate a car.

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
You don't but yet some ant will take it. I can hear it now, "it's only $12 in gas and I make $58 for 2 hours of driving"! Neglecting of course that there's wear and tear on the vehicle and you are driving home for free so perhaps you might make 10 bucks for 4 hours of your time after costs are accounted for.
Good reasoning, kinda agree, however doesn't necessarily have to be driving home for free. I like to do a couple of rides at the destinations when possible ( which admittedly it isn't always) Secondly, depends on what type of drive it is. Most long trips are predominantly highway, hopefully no traffic. That type of drive has a much less impact on wear and tear of vehicle. Gas mileage is substantially better as well.

·
Premium Member
10,890 Posts
when i see this ride. i cancel . must pick up my child from school in 1.5 hours. thats a horrible . horrible ride. unless you are trying to go to disney as a dead miles relocate

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
I would of accepted that trip. Showed up. Told the pax. We can head to a bank party store .
I will do this trip for 150 cash.
That 76 is stupid . You must come home. Profit is 45 to 50 max gasoline . Typical uber ride it pays 12 per hour

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you can search, it's been discussed several times about the algorithm, and the many factors involved in choosing who gets the ping.
Being closest is definitely not the only and deciding factor.
You are correct. But it is the primary factor. I will agree with you in that when I first started doing Uber a very puzzling incident happened to me when I went to go pick up a ride. I am physically over at the Venetian hotel which is one mile away from the MGM hotel. I get a ping to go pick somebody up at the MGM hotel and upon arrival, I pass by the rideshare waiting area which has three cars sitting there waiting. So, I'm wondering why am I being dragged all the way from a mile away to pick up somebody who is literally five steps away from an available driver. I later learned that because there are so many drivers if it were solely based on the closest person, everybody who was too far away would never get a turn. So, there is some sort of turn-based decision as well. And this is also seen at the airports where they have special parking spaces for drivers who just sit there and wait for airplane rides. However, if there are four available drivers and three of those drivers are too far away and even though a driver is in the middle of a ride or just happen to drop off a rider who was in close proximity to the other request, that driver being the closest and available is going to get that person who is in closer proximity.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Now, now... No need to be sarcastic. I've learned that most rideshare people are retired and just looking for adventure. I met a driver who got a ride from Vegas to LA and took the offer because he had family in LA. However, the pax paid $800 for the ride, all the gas and a snack. Seems to me that an airline ticket would've been cheaper, but if ya got it like that...

All of the rideshare algorithms don't care who you are, what you drive, what the price of gas is or how long the ride will be. All they do is look for a passenger and look for the closest AVAILABLE driver. The acceptance rate is just a psychological construct designed to "motivate" drivers to pickup more rides than ignore them because if ALL of us began to ignore rides, a) it would "hurt" the business which usually causes b) the offers to increase to attract other drivers to pickup the passenger. If all available drivers reject the offer or otherwise become unavailable, the passenger receives a message that there are no drivers available. If the passenger retries the ride request, the price will be higher - if ya really want it, you'll pay for it
Wish everyone knew this and would stop accepting shitty rides.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts